NBC Sports Edge Forums

Your big miss...you got it wrong.

Backdoor Slider

My co-owner dropped Trout his rookie year for Miley who was pretty good but not season winning good like Trout was.

Had and dropped DeGrom last year because the CBS pod guys said he was a scrub. This one was my call.

Picked Rendon in the second round in my 16 teamer this year. I should have known better and went against my instincts.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took Puig early in the 2nd round of my redraft instead of .... Josh Donaldson. Looks like there's a lot of Donaldson bitterness going on.

Wasting a pick anywhere in the draft to Sandoval. My bad.

I biggest mistake was not trading Cargo for both McCutchen & Trout during the 2011/2012 off-season; Cargo was one of the best players in baseball at the time and Trout was still a prospect and McCutchen was a good player but not great. So I was trying to get another player, was going after Strasburg but he wouldn't move him but he offered Scherzer. So could of gotten McCutchen, Trout & Scherzer. Such a huge mistake on my part, I was a second year owner and a Rockies fan & just didn't know enough. Damnit.

Made a few trades that were robbery and got destroyed in others this year. In my dynasty I dealt

Sonny Gray,Buchholz,Moore for Alex Cobb, Rafael Devers,Dalton Pompey, Manuel Margot, Kyle Freeland and Chance Sisco. About two weeks later Alex Cobb was hurt and eventually needed TJ.

I dealt Rafael Devers and Dalton Pompey for Zach McAllister when he was given a spot in the rotation. He was given one start and has since spent the rest of the year dominating out of the pen.

Had the chance to pick-up Kyle Schwarber in a couple of mini-drafts in my dynasty leagues and passed on him. After all I already had Mesoraco. Well that didn't work out.

A partucularly bad trade this spring. Looking for a "better " 1B back-up for Freddie Freeman I traded away Chris Davis for Ryan Zimmerman cause I didn't want Davis to wreck my BA each week and Zimmerman also has OF eligibility this season which Davis didn't then. Of course it turned out he also had bad feet this season so had to drop him for roster space so his little run of late I also missed. Sure could use Davis at 1B the last couple of months too and now he's the one with OF eligibility going forward, sigh.

That's about it for this year. The three players I see mentioned above a lot -- Donaldson, J.D. and deGrom -- I always believed in early on. But in past years I gave up and dropped Danny Salazar too early and failed to pick up Kluber when someone dropped him very early last year even though I really liked him a lot. I don't know to this day how I didn't grab him up. Major brain fart. So we all have players we get right and players we flub on. I'll probably regret big time dropping Carlos Rodon down the road in a year or two but I needed better pitching in the here and now, alas.

Then there was last year was it that I went all in on getting Brad Miller and wrecking my SS position in most of my leagues as a result. Had a season of revolving door SS auditions in most of my leagues as a result.

I also admit I didn't see Pujols making this big comeback but then I don't own him in any of my dynasties nor did I ever drop him so don't know if that counts. Just admiting I thought Albert was past ever having a decent season again.

This season: burning 2 keepers on Soler and A.Wood over Pollock and Archer

All time: declining a trade that would have had me sending Javier Baez (who had just come up and hit 3 HR) for 2 prospects, named Kris Bryant and Carlos Correa. : /

Felix Hernandez. He's been brutal since June. I did pick up Correa in late April after the Lowrie injury which has kept me afloat despite Hernandez. I was always against spending early draft capital on pitching, but something about Hernandez this year made me think it was worth it. Never again.

Took Puig early in the 2nd round of my redraft instead of .... Josh Donaldson. Looks like there's a lot of Donaldson bitterness going on.

Wasting a pick anywhere in the draft to Sandoval. My bad.

On the Donaldson note, I think that's true. I got him as a FA mid-season two year ago in a keeper and didn't keep him, but pretty easily drafted him last year. All the while, though trade offers, etc I heard nothing but disdain for him. Of course that changed but not REALLY till this season.

Oh yeah, my other mistake was not accepting an offer to send Kemp and Desmond, and get Cutch. I thought something was really wrong with Cutch and thought Kemp and Ian would bounce back.

Two keeper burns...

Brandon Moss - I don't think the second half explosion is coming.

Doug Fister - What a difference....a year makes.

Both keepers, and I let some serious talent go versus those guys. Painful

All of my f-ups were absolved when I did not accept $3 Rendon and $3 Dickerson for my $32 Stanton. Did really toil over that one b/c of the salary releif and all that upside.

Instead I dealt StanTON 2 weeks ahead of his injury for $24 Abreu and $13 Altuve.

2 bullets dodged...

Hoping this doesn't bite me hard later on but I just traded away Joc Pederson for some picks for next season. He was 25th round eligible as a keeper for the next 3 seasons.

Only reason I did was I already have Correa, Buxton, Marte, and Polanco as keepers eligible in the 24, 26th, 20th, and 25th respectively. I was out of the earnings for regular season and wanted to build on the future.

Traded Trout for $1 to my own father...

He gave me that guy, that Yankees C prospect who got traded to Seattle, sucked, banished to the minors, just came back up after a few mediocre MiLB seasons...

My therapist says not to mention him by name...

I traded Jose Fernandez and Rizzo for Posey a month before Fernandez got called up. Really deep league, Fernandez ETA was like a year or two down the road and then he comes up and just torches me. But if he's hurt now maybe I can scratch this one off my list

Starters I got wrong:

Chris Carter - Signed to a three year deal - $24, $26, $28

Carlos Santana - Signed to a one year deal - $25

Chase Utley - Signed cheap for two years. Wasn't expecting huge numbers, but, wasn't expecting a busted season, either.

Mark Teixeira - Traded him for virtually nothing in April. Did not believe he'd stay healthy.

Collin McHugh - Planned on him being better than last year. Dropped him back in June.

Trevor Bauer - Figured Bauer would have a K per inning, pretty close. Didn't plan on his ERA being over 4.00.

Jesse Hahn - Average and injured. Not a good combination.

Prospects I got wrong:

Kyle Crick - Thought he would be a great starter. Giants turn him into a reliever. Dropped.

Matt Barnes - Thought he would be a solid starter. Sox make him a middle reliever...now he's starting again. Dropped.

This year: Counting on Rendon and Wainwright to lead my team to victory, while relying on Jenrry Mejia as one of my closers.

All-time: Scouring for saves, traded a minor leaguer for Antonio Alfonseca. Alfonseca saved 5 games for me; I finished in second place. The minor leaguer was named Votto -- in a keeper league.

Prospects I got wrong:

Kyle Crick - Thought he would be a great starter. Giants turn him into a reliever. Dropped.

Matt Barnes - Thought he would be a solid starter. Sox make him a middle reliever...now he's starting again. Dropped.

In my minors draft a few years ago i drafted Crick instead of Gallo. I had already grabbed 2 hitters in the draft and Gallo didnt break out yet. I too thought Crick had a bright future 2 years ago.

Archived