NBC Sports Edge Forums

Your big miss...you got it wrong.

Backdoor Slider

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traded Jose Altuve and Cole Hamels for Adrian Beltre and Verlander last offseason. In a dynasty league. I really don't know what I was thinking.

I also traded Josh Donaldson for Longoria and Ryu in the winter. That's been a nightmare deal as well.

In this year's keeper draft, I stumbled badly out of the gate.

Six keepers, and I start the draft with

Greg Holland

Alex Wood

Holland has been barely tolerable. I dropped Wood a couple weeks ago.

Now I know some people would scream and cry about taking a closer but I disagree if it's one of the top three guys that will really rack up saves and Ks and shine up your ratios.

I may rethink this though.

Keeper league so draft positions are off from the standard....

- Kept Brantley, Dickerson, Desmond, Donaldson, EE (EE came at a higher price). Could have kept Arenado (for two years) and/or deGrom (for three) instead of two of those guys. I actually planned on taking Arenado in the draft but he surprisingly went in the 3rd. We have a few razzball obsessives.

- Jason Heyward in the 5th

- Mesoraco in the 7th

- Daniel Murphy in the 8th (I convinced myself that I should just fill out my starting hitters instead of waiting it out a bit more)

All in all, 12 of my 26 from opening day are no longer on my team, Carlos Correa and Kyle Schwarber saved my life.

My biggest near-miss was gunning for Carlos Gomez at #7 overall. Thankfully someone took him before me and I settled for Kershaw.

Earlier in the year (when Correa was still in the minors) I took an offer that I received of my Harvey for his Bryant and expanded it to include Correa and Garrett Richards. I had no idea that Correa was going to be called up 2 days later and was going to be Tulo light this soon. At least it was a re-draft league and not a keeper

I also had to pick a pitcher to drop early in the season and had a choice of dropping C Mart or Shoemaker and picked the wrong one. Yuck

This year: Strasburg and the Shark killed me. Ive been in 5-6th in 14-team league most of the summer, I was in the lead or near top in the spring. Those 2 and the Stanton injury were brutal.

On to my biggest mistake I can remember in 20+ years, there have been many. Rewind to offseason 2011, I am coming off a championship and in this league, you are often selling off your future keeper assets in order to make a run, which I did. So one piece I still had was Braun, who at that time is coming off 30-30 MVP season, pretty much best fantasy player going. With those numbers, he would be a 60+ dollar guy in our auction on a 260 scale (and beat the potential suspension that offseason), I had him for 45 so good value for great player. So there are often teams who will want that guy as a keeper to go for it.

One owner offers me Mike Trout for $1, who because he did not necessarily have the job coming out of spring I declined, because I wanted a 2 for 1 because I had so few keepers, I took Mike Moustakas and Logan Morrison instead. Good Times!!!!

This year: Strasburg and the Shark killed me. Ive been in 5-6th in 14-team league most of the summer, I was in the lead or near top in the spring. Those 2 and the Stanton injury were brutal.

On to my biggest mistake I can remember in 20+ years, there have been many. Rewind to offseason 2011, I am coming off a championship and in this league, you are often selling off your future keeper assets in order to make a run, which I did. So one piece I still had was Braun, who at that time is coming off 30-30 MVP season, pretty much best fantasy player going. With those numbers, he would be a 60+ dollar guy in our auction on a 260 scale (and beat the potential suspension that offseason), I had him for 45 so good value for great player. So there are often teams who will want that guy as a keeper to go for it.

One owner offers me Mike Trout for $1, who because he did not necessarily have the job coming out of spring I declined, because I wanted a 2 for 1 because I had so few keepers, I took Mike Moustakas and Logan Morrison instead. Good Times!!!!

Brutal

Brutal
The only silver lining is that the guy who kept him for $1 for the next 3 years didnt finish in the money once, which is one of the reasons I really like a slightly larger league and 23-roster spot roto. Guys 18-23 on the roster can take you down despite having the clear best keeper (maybe ever in our league)

This year I've been lucky. I nearly made many mistakes. I dropped Chris Davis at one point, but he homered twice that night and I grabbed him again before anyone else could. I've offered away Bogaerts, A-Rod, C-Mart, Cargo and Dozier at various points in the season to no takers, trying to get the likes of V-Mart and Desmond. I did trade Greinke and Shark for Kluber and Cargo back in May, but Cargo's made that one a wash recently.

But the one that still kills me - trading Trout for BJ Upton when he first came up a few years ago. Did it before he's even played a game...

I was drunk and my buddy convinced me to trade Sano, Heyward, and Walker for Dozier in a keeper. Dozier is my favorite player but Sano :(

Dropping Kemp last year after holding on to him all year. I let him go like two weeks before he got hot. The bad part is, he (Kemp) put me out the playoffs in the semifinals. I clearly had the best team and would have beat either team in the championship

I was drunk and my buddy convinced me to trade Sano, Heyward, and Walker for Dozier in a keeper. Dozier is my favorite player but Sano :(

reminds me of "trade rape" from The League...

Archived