NBC Sports Edge Forums

JR Smith 2015-2016 Season Outlook

LuSamSiam

I'm going to try and sell high when possible, but his name value has been tarnished past couple seasons. Folks in my league only view him as a chucker when he's essentially an Ariza/Danny Green-lite.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to try and sell high when possible, but his name value has been tarnished past couple seasons. Folks in my league only view him as a chucker when he's essentially an Ariza/Danny Green-lite.

Agree with everything you said

Well Danny Green is like a 5th-th round pick. Not a top 50 player for me. Whats a lite version of that? Just outside the top 100?

JR Smith should get a great run early on, but thats a crowded back court when healthy. I don't think anyone in a serious league is going to buy high on JR Smith after the first few weeks. I also think Kyrie will be back and playing in December.

Well Danny Green is like a 5th-th round pick. Not a top 50 player for me. Whats a lite version of that? Just outside the top 100?

JR Smith should get a great run early on, but thats a crowded back court when healthy. I don't think anyone in a serious league is going to buy high on JR Smith after the first few weeks. I also think Kyrie will be back and playing in December.

I'd say he's definitely in the top 100. He gets you decent points, 3s, stls, and low TOs. Like I mentioned, he's a chucker so his FG% percentage is a turn off. That's why he's a lite version of Ariza/Green who both have everything I mentioned including great percentages and Green even gives you 1blk/game. But yeah, it's definitely going to be hard to sell high because, like I mentioned as well, he is undervalued in many competitive leagues.

I'd say he's definitely in the top 100. He gets you decent points, 3s, stls, and low TOs. Like I mentioned, he's a chucker so his FG% percentage is a turn off. That's why he's a lite version of Ariza/Green who both have everything I mentioned including great percentages and Green even gives you 1blk/game. But yeah, it's definitely going to be hard to sell high because, like I mentioned as well, he is undervalued in many competitive leagues.

Ariza had a .402 FG% last year, pretty bad. What you love about Ariza is his minutes and role. 35 MPG last year and he's the protypical 3/D guy in today's NBA. To me the undervalued guys in fantasy basketball (and not that undervalued) are middle round players who are guaranteed a good amount of minutes so long as they are healthy. Ther Arizas, the Z-Bos, Korvers, etc. They often get overlooked on draft day because of low upside but they consistently produce.

We both acknowledge that JR Smith will get off to a hot start with Kyrie Irving sitting for a while. Where you lose me is when you say you look to sell high after and then state people undervalue him.

Well yeah, if you want to cherry pick the most productive part of JR Smith's season, you should be prepared to not being able to get anything decent for him when signs of Kyrie are coming back (if you're league is any competitive). Shump and Kyrie are the clear starters when both are healthy because of Shumpert's defensive abilities. Furtermore the addition of Mo Williams to the unit (another chucker, although less so than Smith), really clouds Smith's value when they are all healthy.

Who knows though, someone could always be hurt and Lebron might rest a lot this year.

Ariza had a .402 FG% last year, pretty bad. What you love about Ariza is his minutes and role. 35 MPG last year and he's the protypical 3/D guy in today's NBA. To me the undervalued guys in fantasy basketball (and not that undervalued) are middle round players who are guaranteed a good amount of minutes so long as they are healthy. Ther Arizas, the Z-Bos, Korvers, etc. They often get overlooked on draft day because of low upside but they consistently produce.

We both acknowledge that JR Smith will get off to a hot start with Kyrie Irving sitting for a while. Where you lose me is when you say you look to sell high after and then state people undervalue him.

Well yeah, if you want to cherry pick the most productive part of JR Smith's season, you should be prepared to not being able to get anything decent for him when signs of Kyrie are coming back (if you're league is any competitive). Shump and Kyrie are the clear starters when both are healthy because of Shumpert's defensive abilities. Furtermore the addition of Mo Williams to the unit (another chucker, although less so than Smith), really clouds Smith's value when they are all healthy.

Who knows though, someone could always be hurt and Lebron might rest a lot this year.

I said people in my league undervalue him, so although I want to sell high, it likely won't happen or will be difficult. I'm saying people in other leagues (those reading these posts) should try to sell high if they can. And I had no idea Ariza's FG% was that low last season. I take that back. I thought having Harden would leave him open most of the times.

I said people in my league undervalue him, so although I want to sell high, it likely won't happen or will be difficult. I'm saying people in other leagues (those reading these posts) should try to sell high if they can. And I had no idea Ariza's FG% was that low last season. I take that back. I thought having Harden would leave him open most of the times.

I don't think anyone in any competitive league will be able to sell high on JR Smith was my point. I also think he's properly valued as an around 100 player guy who will probably be much better for the first part of the season.

Seemed like he fit the Cavs just fine last year. Another scorer and floor stretcher. No one pays him much attention with the "Big 3", and he just hits the open 3's. With Shump and potentially Kyrie out for a while as well, I expect him to play at a high level. He'll have some VERY frustrating stretches, but his overall fantasy value should surpass his ADP.

JR Smith ranked top 30 the last two months of last year scoring 12.8 pts, 3 3pm, 3.9 rebs, 2.5 ast, 1.2 stl, 1.1 to, .438 FG%. This was with Irving and Shumpert. With them being out for the first quarter and possibly more, what type of number can we expect? This will be fun to monitor.

Absolute trash so far. I'll admit I'm still backing JR, but Mo is a known ballhog and it could be a slow start for him, especially with more enticing pieces like Gerald Green waiting on the wire. Let's hope the drop off from contract year JR isn't as high as most would expect.

I'm not worried about JR. For every bad shot he makes, he somehow makes 3 impossible ones to make up for it.

He's also a very apt passer. Whenever things arent going well with his shot, he still rebounds, passes and gets deflects.

Archived