NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sen. Arlen Specter to look into Spygate Scandal

Wizard of Boz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
also, the reason this came out now is because congress has reportedly been trying to get a hold of the NFL for 2 months, and the NFL finally responded on thursday.

Please don't lump this in as 'congress'

Its an eagles fan senator looking to discredit the Pats win in the superbowl over them. He should take something from when Donovan McNabb was asked about the possibility the Pats cheated, and just say they got beat. Plain and simple.

while i believe roger g punished the patriots completely wrong, still it is over and done with, lets move on.

for anyone that is caught cheating (aka substance abuse), they are suspended for 4 games. i think wade philips even got the hook for 4 games for his steroid use, even though how the hell are steroids going to help a coach win a football game? but fine. why didn't coach b be suspended 4 games? it would have affected THIS season, and would have made more sense.

regardless, they got caught, fined, lost a pick, why try to ruin the superbowl with this? this senator is just getting himself some free pub and try to tarnish the greatest season ever (while i would disagree that they are the greatest team ever, but they will have the perfect season to show for the greatest season ever...the super bowl bears would definetly beat this year's patriots, having the greatest defense of all time (honorable mentions in great d: 2001 ravens and 2003 bucs), being that he is still bitter about the eagles losing in the super bowl

this is such a shamockery

Can ya really suspend the coach though? I mean, whos to say hes not the one on the headset with the interim watching the game from whatever location? The fine brings a tangible hit to the organization, as does the loss of a draft pick. And besides, again, Goodell probably realizes that everyone is cheating in some form, he just wants to come down on every case of it he finds.

Please don't lump this in as 'congress'

Its an eagles fan senator looking to discredit the Pats win in the superbowl over them. He should take something from when Donovan McNabb was asked about the possibility the Pats cheated, and just say they got beat. Plain and simple.

um, no, it's congress. the senator is on a committee that represents congress. said committee has been asking for a response from the Pats for months. they didn't get it until thursday. that's not the committee's fault.

um, no, it's congress. the senator is on a committee that represents congress. said committee has been asking for a response from the Pats for months. they didn't get it until thursday. that's not the committee's fault.

I would like an explanation to why Congress wants an explanation and why it should even involve them when there is more issues in this country they should be worrying about.

From Rotoworld:

The offices of Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell are working to set-up a "Spygate" meeting that could occur as soon as next week.

Goodell will have a chance to explain the thought process behind the NFL's investigation and destruction of the Patriots' illegally attained videotapes. If unsatisfied, Specter has said that he will consider congressional hearings about the issue.

Another Rotoworld update:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will give Matt Walsh legal protection for any information he can reveal about the Patriots' illegal use of videotaping.

This is a key step, as Walsh has made it clear he wants to be covered after signing an agreement upon his leaving the Patriots' organization in 2003. Goodell added that he plans to speak with Sen. Arlen Specter next week.

Another Rotoworld update:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will give Matt Walsh legal protection for any information he can reveal about the Patriots' illegal use of videotaping.

This is a key step, as Walsh has made it clear he wants to be covered after signing an agreement upon his leaving the Patriots' organization in 2003. Goodell added that he plans to speak with Sen. Arlen Specter next week.

Funny. ESPN had previously declined Walsh's request for legal protection. I guess they didn't think he really had any useful info. In other words, full of BS.

Funny. ESPN had previously declined Walsh's request for legal protection. I guess they didn't think he really had any useful info. In other words, full of BS.

Not at all. Providing legal indemnification to a source is a violation of journalistic ethics and violates the bylaws of the Society of Professional Journalists. I will be very surprised if Walsh has made such a big deal about what he knows if there's nothing to it. As a football fan and Coach Hoodie hater, I hope its nothing. It would be bad for football to have to dethrone a chanpionship and ban a HOF Coach for life.

From ESPN:

U.S. Senator Arlen Specter (R-Penn.) will encourage NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to offer legal protection to a former Patriots employee in hopes of discovering new evidence regarding New England's videotaping practices when they meet later today, a source within the senator's office said Wednesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3244157

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3259486

This is seriously getting out of hand. He is now accusing the NFL and the patriots of 'stonewalling' the investigation, and secretly trying to keep matt waslh quiet. Goodell punished the team, it should be over and done with. I don't for a minute believe that Specter is out for some higher cause, or that he honestly believes he is just 'doing his job.' This man is pulling dirty tricks to get his name out there, he saw the publicity Mitchell got in baseball and now he wants the same. And ya know what else? Deep down hes a jealous Eagles fan that wants some reason that they lost that super bowl, when even players on that team saying it would have been insignificant. This man is an embarrasment to the state of PA, the US Senate, and the Republican Party, and I hope for everyone's sake this guy gets ousted by someone else whenever his term is up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3259486

This is seriously getting out of hand. He is now accusing the NFL and the patriots of 'stonewalling' the investigation, and secretly trying to keep matt waslh quiet. Goodell punished the team, it should be over and done with. I don't for a minute believe that Specter is out for some higher cause, or that he honestly believes he is just 'doing his job.' This man is pulling dirty tricks to get his name out there, he saw the publicity Mitchell got in baseball and now he wants the same. And ya know what else? Deep down hes a jealous Eagles fan that wants some reason that they lost that super bowl, when even players on that team saying it would have been insignificant. This man is an embarrasment to the state of PA, the US Senate, and the Republican Party, and I hope for everyone's sake this guy gets ousted by someone else whenever his term is up

haha, i posted that in a new thread... how did it get moved into here?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this topic may be in the headlines again soon. Rotoworld:

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello indicated Sunday that the league is close to reaching an agreement with former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh.

Aiello says the sides have made "substantial progress" towards striking a deal that will allow Walsh to air what he knows about the Patriots' past videotaping. Walsh is seeking indemnification from an agreement he signed after ending his tenure with the organization. Ironically, Sen. Arlen Specter told the NY Times Saturday that the NFL was discouraging Walsh from speaking.

I am not exactly sure of what will happen if the Patriots are found "guilty"...is that the right word?

It's hard to say for sure because we don't know just what the extent of Spygate truly is.

If it's just what we already know (Taping Signals) then it probably won't be much because they were already punished for it. I think the main area of punishment then would be where Belicheck gets punished for not turning over all materials related to Spygate like he was ordered to do. If there is truth to the deeper stuff (Such as taping walkthroughs, ect.) then we could see some more harsh punishments. Worst Case Scenario is probably a heavy suspension for Belicheck (1 year or more) with possibly more fines and draft pick losses. There would have to be something really substancial for them to be stripped of their SB titles, more then what we know about already.

I think the titles and records, etc... will be left alone.

Imagine the lawsuits that would come out of a solid guilty verdict... each of the teams that lost to the Patriots during their Superbowl runs could sue for lost revenue... SB champs make a tom on $$$ off jerseys, hats, etc that say SB champs and ticket sales and everything else.

I am sure the NFL would like to make this quietly go away as quickly as possible.

The bigger picture is that, like steroids, a lot of the teams have done this... how far down the hole does anyone need to go before that point is realized.

The Patriots will be the Barry Bonds of spygate...

Because the perception will be that they benefitted the most, their history is complete with hollow achievements.

Why would Matt Walsh tape practices on his own? That part of there statement makes no sense...

It doesn't. Particuarly since professional video assistants are busy enough as it is without taking on additional work without being told.

Archived