NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sen. Arlen Specter to look into Spygate Scandal

Wizard of Boz

It's hard to say for sure because we don't know just what the extent of Spygate truly is.

If it's just what we already know (Taping Signals) then it probably won't be much because they were already punished for it. I think the main area of punishment then would be where Belicheck gets punished for not turning over all materials related to Spygate like he was ordered to do. If there is truth to the deeper stuff (Such as taping walkthroughs, ect.) then we could see some more harsh punishments. Worst Case Scenario is probably a heavy suspension for Belicheck (1 year or more) with possibly more fines and draft pick losses. There would have to be something really substancial for them to be stripped of their SB titles, more then what we know about already.

They'll never, ever be stripped of their Super Bowl Titles. That would create such a horrible precedent that it just isn't worth it for something like this.

Might I bring up once again that EVERY TEAM DOES CHEAT IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. Even as a Niners fan, I find it absolutely disgusting what they're doing to the Patriots right now. The team has already been punished. Think of the impact of the loss of a first round pick. Thats one less Richard Seymour, one less Laurence Maroney, one less Ben Watson, Vince Wilfork, or Ty Warren. Those are all key guys on their team, particulary one you look at Seymour, Maroney, and Wilfork. Losing a first round pick could severly cripple a team like the Pats who build certain positions, like the D-line, through the draft. People are still glossing over the fact that this Specter character is just a jealous Eagles fan who wants his team to be named the winners of that Super Bowl.

Belichick also must have thought what he was doing was alright, because why on earth would he have the guy stand out in the open when they easily could have set up a camera in the press box, and why would the guy pan back and forth from the coaches to the camera, when they could just sync one camera on the clock and one on the coaches, or better yet, have a timestamp on the camera!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They'll never, ever be stripped of their Super Bowl Titles. That would create such a horrible precedent that it just isn't worth it for something like this.

If they did whats said to have been done, they should be. That doesn't mean give the Rams, Eagles, Panthers a trophy it simply means to remove the trophy from the offending team.

The Olympics do it this way, and I consider it the only real punishment/deterrent for cheating. I don't think guys like Bonds should be allowed in the HOF either for the same reason.

Belichick also must have thought what he was doing was alright, because why on earth would he have the guy stand out in the open when they easily could have set up a camera in the press box, and why would the guy pan back and forth from the coaches to the camera, when they could just sync one camera on the clock and one on the coaches, or better yet, have a timestamp on the camera!

Please, the NFL sent out a memo specifically saying that such behavior was prohibited. He knew exactly what he was doing and that it was wrong, I would think he continued to do so out of ego and thinking that he could still get away with it.

• 1 month later...

Maybe all it took was a South Park episode to get Goddell moving. Rotoworld:

The NFL has reached an agreement with former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh. Commissioner Roger Goodell will meet with Walsh on May 13.

The agreement requires Walsh to hand over any possessions he may have that belong to the Patriots. The Patriots have guaranteed that Walsh will not be sued. After Walsh and Goodell's meeting, the league will hold a press conference to brief the media on what transpired in the interview. Apr. 23 - 12:19 pm et

Archived