NBC Sports Edge Forums

Keepers. Help me help you.

4 x 4 roto, 11 teams

HR, RP, AVG, SB
W, S, ERA, K/BB

I won the championship this year by the widest margin ever. 22 points ahead of 2nd place. Now, some big decisions.

I can keep up to 8, losing a round for each. I'll definitely be keeping 8. I need your help in deciding.

The locks (age next season in ( )-

Bryce Harper (23)- .330, 42 HR, 6 SB, 175 RP

Paul Goldschmidt (28)- .321, 33 HR, 21 SB, 180 RP

Mookie Betts (23)- .290, 18 HR, 21 SB, 151 RP

Jose Fernandez (24)- 6 W, 2.92 ERA, 5.64 K/BB

Jake Arrieta (30)- 22 W, 1.77 ERA, 4.92 K/BB

So who are my other three? A note, I almost never keep SP (except JoFer) but next season our innings minimum is going up to 1300 IP (without Ks as a category, many load up on elite MRs. Some want to prevent). I think this will put a premium on SPs next season.

Edwin Encarnacion (33)- .277, 39 HR, 3 SB, 166 RP

Nelson Cruz (36)- .302, 44 HR, 3 SB, 139 RP

Todd Frazier (30)- .255, 35 HR, 13 SB, 136 RP

Anthony Rendon (26)- .264, 5 HR, 1 SB, 63 RP

Dallas Keuchel (28)- 20 W, 2.48 ERA, 4.24 K/BB

Carlos Carrasco (29)- 14 W, 3.63 ERA, 5.02 K/BB

So my initial thought is keeping all 4 SPs. I will have a HUGE edge in pitching. Of the 4 hitters, I'd keep EE. I actually think with Bryce, Goldy, Mookie, and EE, I won't be that far back in hitting either.

I'd also like to, if possible, deal Frazier + a SP for an elite keeper. That's also a possibility.

Thoughts? Which 8 would you keep?

Leave a link and happy to help in return.

I'd keep both Carrasco and Keuchel before Fernandez. Then E5. Then if I dump Fernandez, either Cruz or Rendon though Rendon always seems to get injured. Or keep Fernandez too if it is such a pitcher slanted league. Just not ahead of Carrasco and Keuchel.

No way Frazier after his collapse this season. But 3B is really really really deep and I doubt anyone in your league would pick him up since a lot of them must be sittinng on the likes of Donaldson, Machado, Arendo, Kris Bryant, Sano, Franco, C and or K Seager, Moose, Beltre, Longoria, etc.

And yeah I have no idea what RP is either. Since it is hitting it can't stand for the normal "relief pitcher" so maybe short for RIP as in number of people going on your DL in a season. :-)

Hey, what's RP, under hitter categories? Maybe you meant TB?

Also, what round to you lose for each player?

Sorry RP = runs produced. It combines RBI & runs and is calculated RBI + runs - HRs (since a HR gives both RBI & run).

Each keeper I lose a round, up to 8. So if I keep one I lose my first rounder, if I keep 2 I lose my 1st & 2nd, etc.

Awesome, well here's my list:

No doubters: Harper, Encarnacion, Goldy, Betts; these four hitters will give you a fantastic base. Good AVG, RP, HR, RBI, and SB. Non of them will tank in any of those categories...except maybe EE in SB.

As for the other hitters, Frazier had a horrible second half, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping him, and as Big Bat said, 3B is really deep. Rendon is risky; he could be worth a draft pick, but not a keeper. Cruz is potentially worth it, but with his age, and injuries, I really worry about him going off the cliff.

My other four keepers would be:

Arrieta, JoFer, Keuchel, and Corrasco.

This should give you a fantastic base to build off of. Good Luck!

Could you take a look at mine? http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=548524

I'd keep Encarnacion. I'm not 100% on Keuchel or Carrasco but I'd definitely keep one, superficially I'd choose Keuchel but that's without really looking hard.

So that's 2 of 3 then as you say it's whether you want to go equal on SP, which I have no problem with, personally. In my keeper if I had three awesome pitchers I'd keep em for 3 of 6 keepers.

I actually don't mind Rendon as a keeper. The only ones I'd steer clear of are Cruz because of age and Frazier because of inconsistency.

It may seem crazy to say but you don't know that Arrieta will come close next year. Sure he might be Cliff Lee putting it together late, but that's less common than one year wonders. Plus JoFer is amazing but still a question mark to a degree. I'd keep him absolutely but a bit of a dice roll there. So yeah, maybe go Carrasco too. The only hitter that seems like a no-brainer is EE but though he's still great in an awesome lineup, he's getting to that age where the other shoe could drop any minute.

Thanks for your help on mine which I will post here for selfish reasons: http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=549411&hl=

No love for Rendon? Here would be my vote:

Anthony Rendon (26)- .264, 5 HR, 1 SB, 63 RP
Edwin Encarnacion (33)- .277, 39 HR, 3 SB, 166 RP
Dallas Keuchel (28)- 20 W, 2.48 ERA, 4.24 K/BB

IMO Keuchel>Carrasco.

Thanks for helping me.

Frazier. EE. Then it's Keuchel or Carrasco, I would say Keuchel or I would understand Carrasco as well; both are around the same age & Carrasco has huge upside but so do Keuchel. Guess you could keep both over Frazier but I want 5 hitters, strong base for both hitting & pitching this way.

Help with mine? http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=550136#entry5846289

Frazier. EE. Then it's Keuchel or Carrasco, I would say Keuchel or I would understand Carrasco as well; both are around the same age & Carrasco has huge upside but so do Keuchel. Guess you could keep both over Frazier but I want 5 hitters, strong base for both hitting & pitching this way.

Thanks with the help on my new one! But my answer will remain the same ... EE, Frazier & Keuchel.

• 1 month later...

I'm not new but I'm trying to avoid the kitchen area pre-feast.

Just here to remind you don't even remotely dream of dropping E5.

My choices are Harper, Goldy, E5, Betts, Arrieta , Carrasco, Keuchel. Yes I like Carrasco better than Fernandez for next season. He is already damn good and still is improving. Think he will be a total top tier ace in 2016. And Keuchel? Well you can't drop either of your Cy Young winners. You just can't. :-)

The 8th? Either Cruz or Fernandez. I'd probably go with Cruz cause 3 pitchers out of 8 keepers is already a lot. Also only 8 keepers in 11 team leagues says there will be plenty of good SP in the re-draft. Again the vacuum thing. Your other owners have to shed lots of talent too. And a lot of it. Look over their rosters first and see who you think they will be forced to drop to get a handle on who will be in your re-draft pool.

Why Cruz? Cause he is good. I don't care about Cruz being older. Cause your league parameters are again 8 keepers, 11 teams. If you had Ortiz in his final year my advice is the same. Only 2016 matters in this format. 2017 there will be other options and players you will want to keep by then. Don't think ahead past 2016.

Now if your fellow league owners suffer from ageism and vet-aversion and you think you can pick up Cruz better in the re-draft than Fernandez, then Fernandez is a reasonable alternative. But I'd want Cruz on my team one way or the other.

As for Frazier and Rendon? Shudder. Had them both on one of my teams last year. Frazier's first half stats looked real good while sitting on my bench most of the second half. And Rendon and his fellow injury magnet buddy Ellsbury got traded away so I could get a healthy enough team to even field. So as a disgruntled owner (former owner) I say stay far away from these guys, heh.

Thanks, BBT. Appreciate your thoughts. Agree on EE. JoFer is gold in my league (as he is in any keeper). No way I drop him. What I could consider is trying to turn JoFer, and maybe a Frazier or Cruz, into a ARizzo type hitter. Not sure I could, but maybe worth a shot.

Also only 8 keepers in 11 team leagues says there will be plenty of good SP in the re-draft. Again the vacuum thing. Your other owners have to shed lots of talent too. And a lot of it. Look over their rosters first and see who you think they will be forced to drop to get a handle on who will be in your re-draft pool.

I agree with that statement. Think about it this way if a SP's team is lacking any one of these 3 thing their wins can be limited: Above Average: Hitting, Defense or Bullpen. So wins is not even a lock. In a 4X4 SP accounts for 75% of the pitching stats compared to 80% in traditional 5X5. So you're looking two categories where you know the SP where contribute and the other depends on the team. So I would suggest only keeping 3 SP. The 5 hitters that I would keep are Harper, Goldy. Encarnacion, Betts and Cruz. I know that people are afraid about age related decline with Cruz but how far is he really going to fall in a year. To 30 HRs? So you need to ask yourself if Cruz declines would you be comfortable getting 30 HRs. Sometimes the power stays for older guys. Bautista is still going strong.

SP: Arrieta, Keuchel, Fernandez. When Fernandez has been healthy in his career has pitched like a top 5 guy. He's great in the K/BB category so it's not like the lack of K's . If you let Fernandez go there is no way that he doesn't get snatched up in the first round after keepers. You still have a chance to get Carrasco back if you let him go. I really like Carrasco but the age difference and inconsistency makes me lean towards Fernandez. Sure Carrasco's defense is partially to blame for his large ERA and FIP/xFIP differences but his HR/FB rate also when up by 6% points which isn't on the defense. So give me the younger guy that is lights out when healthy instead of Carrasco. If you decide that Cruz's age is really throwing you off Carrasco would be my 4th guy.

Sorry about the delayed response. Thanks for mine.

Archived