NBC Sports Edge Forums

AL-only "A Tier" SP's

ssmarsh

10 team, AL-only, 7 keeper, auction league. Our draft is coming up in a few weeks and with all the money I'll have to spend I was planning to buy one, probably two, A tier starting pitchers to compliment the upside keepers listed in my sig. The problem is, the players I've been targeting have been getting injured along the way, shrinking the pool. I dumped last season to load up on cheap keepers and come out of the gate huge this year so I'm not interested in buying someone who's going to miss the first month.

Taking out the guys who are injured (Escobar, Kazmir, Lackey), the guys I think will be kept (Sabathia, Beckett, Verlander, Vazquez), and the "names" who were negative in IP-H (Halladay) leaves me with the list below. Our pitching categories are wins, ERA, IP-H, K-BB and net saves (not applicable here). The pitchers below are presented in descending IP-H order. Also, keep in mind that my league tends to overpay for ace SP's.

I have my own ideas, but I'd love opinions on which of the following you guys would target?

Erik Bedard - he'll go for big $$ at the draft, $35+, so I'm hoping his rough spring will keep that in check.

AJ Burnett - there's a good chance he'll be kept, but for now I have him as being available.

Dustin McGowan - he was a mid-season pickup last year so he can't be kept.

Fausto Carmona - another in-season pickup, someone will overpay for his huge 2007 numbers.

Dice-K - he went for $36 last year.

James Shields - can he do it again?

Shaun Marcum - I know he's not an A, but he was +10 in IP-H.

Brian Bannister - again, not an A, but he was +9.

Jeremy Guthrie - same as Bannister.

Also, feel free to suggest anyone who's not listed above.

10 team, AL-only, 7 keeper, auction league. Our draft is coming up in a few weeks and with all the money I'll have to spend I was planning to buy one, probably two, A tier starting pitchers to compliment the upside keepers listed in my sig. The problem is, the players I've been targeting have been getting injured along the way, shrinking the pool. I dumped last season to load up on cheap keepers and come out of the gate huge this year so I'm not interested in buying someone who's going to miss the first month.

Taking out the guys who are injured (Escobar, Kazmir, Lackey), the guys I think will be kept (Sabathia, Beckett, Verlander, Vazquez), and the "names" who were negative in IP-H (Halladay) leaves me with the list below. Our pitching categories are wins, ERA, IP-H, K-BB and net saves (not applicable here). The pitchers below are presented in descending IP-H order. Also, keep in mind that my league tends to overpay for ace SP's.

I have my own ideas, but I'd love opinions on which of the following you guys would target?

Erik Bedard - he'll go for big $$ at the draft, $35+, so I'm hoping his rough spring will keep that in check.

AJ Burnett - there's a good chance he'll be kept, but for now I have him as being available.

Dustin McGowan - he was a mid-season pickup last year so he can't be kept.

Fausto Carmona - another in-season pickup, someone will overpay for his huge 2007 numbers.

Dice-K - he went for $36 last year.

James Shields - can he do it again?

Shaun Marcum - I know he's not an A, but he was +10 in IP-H.

Brian Bannister - again, not an A, but he was +9.

Jeremy Guthrie - same as Bannister.

Also, feel free to suggest anyone who's not listed above.

Honestly, I'd take Lackey at a discount & Kazmir at a discount over the bottom 3. I realize your league only allows waiver claims 1x/month, but I believe 5 months of Kazmir/Lackey willl outperform Marcum/Bannister/Guthrie by a *wide* margin.

I don't believe you'll see "A" listers other than the guys you listed, but Hughes is a good bet to make the next tier. I'd also be high on Greinke to make the 2nd tier. On the flip side, I bet Joba & Clay don't get enough IP to be the type of difference-makers this year - but if you want to speculate and get trading chips, they're kind of obvious choices (but instead of taking a mediocre guy like Buerhle, spend the $ on Clay/Joba and use them as trading chips for the upgrade you'll need later on).

You're already well aware of Liriano, who *could* put up A-list numbers, but it should be added - highest risk/reward in the bunch.

On a flip side note, don't think Lester is quite ready, and Blanton is NL-bound by July. Bonderman & Harden are stay-away SP's given your monthly FA format.

Thanks for the reply, RB!

Honestly, I'd take Lackey at a discount & Kazmir at a discount over the bottom 3. I realize your league only allows waiver claims 1x/month, but I believe 5 months of Kazmir/Lackey willl outperform Marcum/Bannister/Guthrie by a *wide* margin.
Yeah, I have no real intention of buying any of the bottom 3. I only put them up there since they're positive in IP-H (which is pretty rare for SP's).
I'd also be high on Greinke to make the 2nd tier.

Already got him as a keeper. B)

On the flip side, I bet Joba & Clay don't get enough IP to be the type of difference-makers this year - but if you want to speculate and get trading chips, they're kind of obvious choices (but instead of taking a mediocre guy like Buerhle, spend the $ on Clay/Joba and use them as trading chips for the upgrade you'll need later on).
We're a NY based league with a bunch of Red Sox fans as well. I doubt either of those guys will go for reasonable money.
You're already well aware of Liriano, who *could* put up A-list numbers, but it should be added - highest risk/reward in the bunch.

Yup, that's why I want to buy one or two low-risk aces to go along with him.

On a flip side note, don't think Lester is quite ready, and Blanton is NL-bound by July. Bonderman & Harden are stay-away SP's given your monthly FA format.

Lester is in there because my $6 Escobar is on the shelf. He'll be a good #5 for me, especially at a buck. Blanton and Bonderman are way down on my list and Harden is in Siberia.

I don't like the pitching at all this season in the AL, everyone has question marks. My plan in my 5x5 AL only keeper league 10 teams is to spend about $20-$30 on my 9 pitchers and basically just try to win the Wins category and K's category by putting out 9 starting pitchers each week. Anything in ERA and WHIP will be a bonus and I'll try to hopefully luck into some saves so I end up with around 25-30 pitching points.

I'll spend my balance to get ARod, Crawford, Guerrero, Peralta, and Morneau I'm hoping.

My keeper pitchers so far are Robertson $3, Washburn $2, Danks $2, Hochvecar (rookie so counts as a reserve player), Glen Perkins (rookie) and Adenhart (rookie). I also have John Bale at $1 that if he wins a rotation spot I'm gonna keep.

Thanks for the reply, RB!

Yeah, I have no real intention of buying any of the bottom 3. I only put them up there since they're positive in IP-H (which is pretty rare for SP's).

Already got him as a keeper. B)

We're a NY based league with a bunch of Red Sox fans as well. I doubt either of those guys will go for reasonable money.

Yup, that's why I want to buy one or two low-risk aces to go along with him.

Lester is in there because my $6 Escobar is on the shelf. He'll be a good #5 for me, especially at a buck. Blanton and Bonderman are way down on my list and Harden is in Siberia.

Should have been more specific, since you were asking for *your team*. Can't say I disagree with any of the logic. Too bad about Joba/Clay, those guys would have been *gold* as trading chips.

And Siberia is still too close for me - Mars would about right.

If you can get Marcum for around 3-4$, maybe 6-7, then i'd take the plunge.

Avoid Dice-K, especially with the 36 last year and the RS fan part.

Also see if you can get Halladay for cheap after his subpar last year, especially since your league doesn't have pure Ks (K-BB instead), and he doesnt walk anybody really. Remember he did have a 6-1 K/BB ratio a few years ago, even with basically no strikeouts.

Try as much as possible to get Chops McGowan, he's gonna be gold. But if anybody from your league is overhyping him, and he ends up like DiceK last year, then back off.

Avoid Dice-K, especially with the 36 last year and the RS fan part.
I actually like him a lot, if the price is right. His stats play to our categories pretty well.
Also see if you can get Halladay for cheap after his subpar last year, especially since your league doesn't have pure Ks (K-BB instead), and he doesnt walk anybody really. Remember he did have a 6-1 K/BB ratio a few years ago, even with basically no strikeouts.

I loves me some Halladay. I've owned him every year and he helped me win a few titles a few years ago. I didn't include him in the A tier list as I think he's slipped to a high B right now. I'd still love to have him this year though.

I actually like him a lot, if the price is right. His stats play to our categories pretty well.

Oh, i do agree with that. It's just that if he went for 36 last year, that makes me weary.

So i predict that the price wont be right. But if it is, dont hesitate to jump.

I loves me some Halladay. I've owned him every year and he helped me win a few titles a few years ago. I didn't include him in the A tier list as I think he's slipped to a high B right now. I'd still love to have him this year though.

You should be able to get him quite cheaply too.

You should be able to get him quite cheaply too.

Halladay went for $40 last year. I'm thinking he won't go that high again, but mid 30's isn't a stretch. Like I said, owners in my league tend to overpay for pitching. It always make for an interesting draft.

Curious on what Johan went for last year?

$17. He was in his final keeper year after having been purchased for $7 as a reliever 5 years earlier. He was slated to be the first guy nominated at our auction before he went to the Mets....now we'll never know.

Archived