NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rate my team-H2H 12-team, 9 Cat, WHIR!

MWon

Another season, another draft. My sig tells it all but I'll post my draft results and mentality anyway:

(7th pick in a 12-team snake draft)

R1 R Westbrook

R2 K Leonard

R3 N Noel

R4 D Favors

R5 K-A Towns

R6 N Mirotic

R7 K Middleton

R8 Mk Morris

R9 CJ McCollum

R10 T Lawson

R11 D Collison

R12 O Porter

R13 R Hood

Thoughts:

1: Westbrook was a surprise at #7 (hated having the pick because I really didn't want Lebron but he got taken at #6 so yay me).

2: Have no idea why Kawhi went that far into round 2 but I nabbed him...was hoping to pair Westy with a big like Gobert who was available but I couldn't say no to Kawhi there.

3-5: I needed bigs and Favors/Nerlens were good value for where they were, and gave steals too. KAT was just because I drafted Nerlens in that exact spot (middle of the 5th) last year and he was gold, so I figured KAT there was an auspicious omen.

6-7: Heard lots of good things about Mirotic and it was either him or guys like Demarre or Thad. Was really upset Tyreke went early in the 7th because I needed assists badly then (Rubio/Rondo went around here too but I liked neither), but I got Middleton for treys/stls/overall production.

8: Markieff Morris is blah and I wanted a PG but none were available here, unless I reached heavily.

9: Since roto was hyping the guy like crazy, I was a little worried someone would snatch him if I waited. Hopefully CJ gives me some assists.

10 -11: REALLY needed assists and really didn't want to grab guys like Mudiay and Burke for the same reason I passed on Rubio/Rondo (% and TO killers). I figured Lawson was once a good 2nd-tier option even though he has a TON of question marks now, and at least letting Harden handle the rock may improve his FG%. Maybe. Collison was just insurance at PG and nobody else was available.

12-13: Pretty sad Myles Turner got picked right before I grabbed Otto. I could've used blks/boards. I grabbed some shooters since they looked like good fliers/sleepers, esp for their role and their preseason play. At this point, I realized I had too many treys.

TLDR: Nearly every year I play fantasy, I dominate boards, assists, and blks and punt FT%, TOs and treys. This year, I wanted a more balanced team.

Any thoughts y'all? Not seeing many weaknesses though assists are shaky with Ty/Collison as backup PGs. My %s and TOs are fairly balanced for once. Good chance to win boards, points and treys. Stls are a lock. Blks would be good, but there are some ridiculously OP teams in that cat for my league. So give me your analysis and drop a link if you need help. Thanks and good luck this season!

That’s a pretty decent team, but I think you kind of got shafted in the middle rounds. I actually like your late round players a bit better (Lawson, Collison, Porter etc) than some of your mid-tier guys (Mirotic, Towns, McCollum). I would actually try and get another big because aside from Noel and Favors, you’re short on proven big men. We don’t know yet how Towns will perform. You have some decent guards so I would try and flip one of them for a big man.Thanks for your analysis in my Gortat/Horford for PG thread btw. That helped a lot

The only real weaknesses I see are in the blocks (you already knew that), and an true assist man.

Lawson and Collison are just not gonna cut it. Imo awson's assist take a dip, with James Harden and his ball hogging. Collison's role in Sac is still a bit cloudy with Rondo in there. I would make a few trades to shore up a guy who would for sure help you in assists sneakily.

Blocks are not a real problem, but of course you know you lose to the teams that have the Drummonds, Goberts, Whitesides, and DeAndres. There's just nothing you can do about that. But I think you'll get your fair share of wins against the people that don't. Overall, I think you can win the league with this team. Upside is through the roof, and you drafted young guys.

WHIR? http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=553795

Haha, thanks everyone. Yeah, I know blocks and assists are my weak points. Surprised slightly regarding your feelings about KAT and Mirotic. Everyone hated Noel last year because he was unproven but he was a beast (and I proved everyone wrong by taking him at 5 just as I did with KAT this year). Mirotic I wasn't crazy about but only grabbed because Roto hyped him.

I do agree that Markieff and Ty are ugly, but if any of you read my analysis, you can see my mentality there and why I pretty much had to choose the best value and need at the time. :( I'd try to trade either but both have very little value right now--I'd love to swap or package both for a reliable player (one with blocks or assists). As for trading a guard for a big, not sure if I can really add anyone since trading one or the other means I'll be deficient in either.

Thanks again everyone for the help and comments--I'll take a look at your links when I get home, and please leave additional comments or links if you need help. :)

@Littledragon: That's my link, bro. I'll try to find your thread myself, but it'd help if you correct it yourself.

Dude you already replied to my previous post, but I have a new one I need help on. I replied to this thread already, and looking at it again, if KAT pulls through and becomes even flashes of what he will be in 3 years, then you're all set. The reason I like the idea of you drafting relatively young people ie. Noel/KAT/Mccollum/Hood, is because these guys are gold mines come fantasy playoff time. They may single-handedly win you the league when the Lebrons, Duncans are resting preparing for playoff time. The coaches will gave them all the playing time they need in order to blossom.

Anyway, help (again?)

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=553995

Haha, sorry. I just reply to threads and if I have a question, I just throw my link there and forget whose thread it is (and who replies to me). I'll take a look at your new one (I think I replied to your first as a response to yours on mine).

Like someone said above, I like your later picks better than your middle rounders. Who knows who could have been floating around then! But all in all, I think your team is well rounded and should easily compete with the other teams. I definitely think moving Nerlens could be beneficial. If you are just straight punting blocks, you could get a really nice return on him. Millsap? Blake if you're lucky? haha.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=554006any advice for me? :D

I think you are lacking in assists and threes. I like collison and lawson but not so much middleton and mirotic. Your bigs are solid and westbrook is a monster but i think you couldve done better. Maybe you can trade mirotic and middleton to either solidify assists or threes (assists would be more reasonable because you are stronger in that aspect)

@Chilly: Eh, in the middle rounds (where Mirotic/Middleton/'Kieff went), the best players I could've taken were:

Round 6 (Mirotic): D Carroll, B Beal, Z-Bo, Giannis, Tyreke, JVal

Round 7 (Middleton): T Jones, E Kanter, D Rose

Round 8 (Markieff): Ryno, Hibbert, Tyson

I guess a big man before Middleton might've been good or I could've taken a chance on Rose (he's not exactly assist friendly though). I was gambling on Mirotic especially for who I passed up, but I'm a big fan and think he'll do quite well. I'd like to compete in blocks since my forwards can add some blocks and I can't punt it too much with KAT and Favors still there. My strat this year was to avoid punting anything once I got Kawhi, so a balanced team was crucial. IMHO Blake's name is bigger than his game while Millsap is underrated yet not worth Noel. I'll stay put but thanks! I'll take a look at your link now.

@Ksdivine: A little confused on your comment...do you think I could've done better than Westbrook at #7? If so, I'm not really sure who I could've picked--frankly I'm surprised Westbrook fell to me (I was worried I'd have to settle for Lebron, or Cousins). True, Middleton for a passing PG would be nice (I feel Middleton was my weakest pick--I wanted Tyreke badly, who went a few spots before Middleton), but I'm not sure who would be equal value to him; nobody near him in my drafts was a decent dime-dropping PG, except possibly G Hill. As for treys, that's one of my strengths, so I'm pretty sure I don't need to add those--Mirotic, CJ, Otto, Hood, Middleton are all projected to be strong shooters this year, while Markieff, Ty, Westy and Kawhi add a few. That's 3/4ths of my team adding treys.

@bballvideos: Thanks man. There are so many question marks about Ty, but I'm lucky to have gotten him there, especially since at that point, I was desperate for assists.

anyone else? If you need help, make sure to drop a link!

I personally think your team is pretty balanced over all. Favors, KAT, and Noel i think should be enough blocks, given that most teams generally dont have more than 3 bigs who can block very well, sometimes 4.

but you have an abundance of guards and wings, which i think you should try swining for bigs who get consistent pts and boards, hopefully some blocks and good %. you picked 5 guards/wings in the last 5 rounds so i recommend swinging like 2 of them for like 1 big and 1 guard

thanks for the help on mine!

This is a good looking 12 teamer. I like how you mixed all around performers with the bigs (I think they'll all be fine this season). You rounded it out with some PG. News says Lawson and Harden are meshing well together and Rondo has played less minutes than Collison in the preseason so you could have some late round studs

Thanks for the help with mine. I'm a little raw with fantasy basketball so I can't give a whole lot of help, but I love the first two picks and following it up with Noel. From my somewhat noobish perspective though I think the roster looks good.

Archived