NBC Sports Edge Forums

Boston Red Sox 2016 Outlook

Backdoor Slider

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBT will have a fit when he reads that. Wished I could see his face at that moment in time.

LOL. Eh, I don't know. What harm can he do at 1B? Fumble his stop watch a lot? Maybe he came real real REAL cheap.

But yeah this makes little to no sense. You could name about a hundred former players and coaches that should have been ahead of him in line. Does Dombronski owe this guy a favor? Does Amaro know where Dombronski has skeletons buried?

In all seriousness, he should be fine at 1B, no matter how bad a GM, you still need to be a great baseball mind just to get to that level.

Maybe he feels on field experience will help further his front office abilities, which could be true.

Also, maybe the Sox has offered him an opportunity at a front office position in the near future after some on field experience.

Surely is extremely odd, though.

Well he clearly failed as a GM so the available front office opportunities for him are probably few and far between. Can't blame the guy for wanting to continue to so something in baseball. Maybe he sees this as a spring board to a potential managers gig ? I just pray to god it's not for the Red Sox.

I hope this is the off season where they actually do flip Buchholz. Actually it is the last season where they can anyway contract-wise. Please, Rotoworld rumors, be true. Unload him and his endless half seasons and go all in for David Price.

I sure hope Dombronski can find a way to flip him and Hanley the Albatross though dumping the latter will take high end magic skillz.

I personally, would love to see the Red Sox trade Pedroia, and move Betts back to 2B or keep 2B open for Moncada.

Yeah but we both know they won't do that. That would be like the Yankees trading Derek Jeter away after he turned 30. There are certain face of the franchise players you just don't trade. He isn't a liability and he and Big Papi are the two most fan favorite players on the team. It would be PR suicide since there is no pressing reason to get rid of him and the Sox are pretty sensative about maintaining their fan base after the last two years.

And Pedy's defense is still top tier so he is still good t ogo there. His bat was fine this season. His base stealing speed is gone and his injury factor is worrisome but those are the only two problems with him at this stage of his career. And his grit factor is off the charts which more than makes up for that. He is still a plus factor on the club as opposed to the back hole of Hanley and the graying hole of Pablo Sandoval. I'd try and trade injury-plagued, walking donut ad Sandoval way before I'd consider trading Pedy.

Also you don't mess with Betts again after the struggle to get him comfortable and productive in the outfield. He is finally flashing some leather out there so let the kid be. And you got both Holt and even Josh Rutledge to fill in at 2B though Rutledge is a totally ham-fisted infielder if there ever was one. It's like his glove is made of cement. And he seems to use it more like a ping pong paddle than, you know, a glove. No wonder Colorado gave up on him.

• 2 weeks later...

In all seriousness, he should be fine at 1B, no matter how bad a GM, you still need to be a great baseball mind just to get to that level.

Maybe he feels on field experience will help further his front office abilities, which could be true.

Also, maybe the Sox has offered him an opportunity at a front office position in the near future after some on field experience.

I'm not in agreement that you need to have a great baseball mind to become a GM. You can do it if you have the right connections to get you in and interview well and can play the politics right behind the scenes.

I'm not in agreement that you need to have a great baseball mind to become a GM. You can do it if you have the right connections to get you in and interview well and can play the politics right behind the scenes.

Yeah but in this case Amaro's connection seems to be with John Farell who wanted him. Not Dombronski who already hired his GM.

And Farell is in the hot seat. If he hadn't be diagnosed with cancer he might have been let go after this past season but what organization can do that with a cancer survivor now. But another bad season and he will most likely be a goner with his old buddy 1B coach going with him. Tory was a better manager in the intrium than Farell and Jason Veritek is waiting in the wings and has already interviewed for a managing job this off season so if he is their guy going forward they have to make a move sooner than later. Which means Amaro should plan on renting and not buying in the Boston area.

In other news I have no idea why the Sox are showing interest in OF Chris Young. The blurb suggested Bradley Jr might be on the trading block. But why? Rusney is still raw and Margot is maybe a year away and others a couple of years away and Dombronski does likes metrics regards defense and seems to love Bradley. Also if they are getting Young for a platoon, with whom? Rusney was the one being talked about to be a platoon player until he can hit righties. But Young would, like Rusney, platoon against lefties.

I could only see interest in Young if the OF they want to move is Rusney and his mega-contract. Then the platoon becomes Young and either Holt and/or Travis Shaw for a stop gap season. Or yet another OFer they trade for. Cause Boston just can't seem to get enough outfielders to clutter the field with.

Rusney's contract averages $11.9 MM per year (not including the first year where he only made $800k from proration)... not really a mega contract in today's game. It's actually $4 million less than the qualifying offer, which is the average of the top 125 salaries.

The Sox could certainly move him, but they are under no pressure to because of his contract.

From what I have read the Sox are interested in Young as a 4th OF and Lefty platoon... at which case seems like a good role for him.

I know this is a different ownership but in years past the Red Sox have shown no loyalty to any players including stars like Clemens, Boggs, Lynn and Jim Rice. Its a business. People said the same thing about the Cards not resigning Albert . They said the fans would raise hell. They quickly got over it and moved on. And how many more years does Peddy have ? He hasn't been healthy recently . I agree he's still a fan favorite but if he isn't on the field he isn't helping. My guess is if the Sox could get something good in return he would be gone. Fan favorite or not .

And what happens to Ortiz when Boston plays games in a NL park? Who sits ? DD will do pretty much whatever it takes to rid the team of Hanley IMO. And Sox fans will love him for doing it.

^ Ortiz usually plays 1B the majority of games in NL parks. Usually 2 out of the 3 games with his off days worked into the schedule that way. Sometimes all 3 but taken out if the Sox get a big lead. He is not an embarassment at 1B. Not gold glove obviously but far from a disaster. He just is a natural at DH and since there is a mental aspect to being a DH (look at all the hitters who have failed to become one on a regular basis) and he loves it, DH'ing is where he has stayed all these years.

I hope they can get rid of Hanley but his contract is horrible. They will have to eat a lot of it and they want the money for a top tier pitching FA so I don't know if he can ditch Hanley that easily. Yeah they have money but the luxury tax thing seems a big deal to owners throughout baseball.

Peddy has good defensive skills and hit.291 with 12 homers in just 381 ABs and is a good 2-hole hitter moving runners along and working counts. He is not a negative for the team as of yet. There are far bigger fish to fry then to worry about him when he is better than any of their other options at 2B now and it would be a waste of a trade to get another 2B cause Betts is staying in the outfield. If he gets injured Holt does a decent job as a back-up though he (Holt) can't really handle a full workload all year. Moncado, despite his youth, will probably fast track through the system as Peddy's ultimate replacement. There will be such hype regards him that the fans will love it when he takes over.

About Rusney's contract. Yeah if he can perform that's not too bad but he can't hit breaking pitches especailly from righties so he took a bit of a step backwards last half of this past season. If he figures it out, fine. But if he becomes a bench player with that contract, not so good.

Looks like Cubs and KC are interested in Bradley. Oh Theo, will you ever stop messing up your former team? Sorry, I hated the A-Gon deal when it happened and even more so since Theo reclaimed Rizzo once he went to Chicago ... grumble, gripe.

At what point does loyalty to a player outwiegh his percieved value? Case in point was Amaro in Philedelphia. He stayed loyal to his players (gave big contracts to keep them there) and kept the team intact. Kind of backfired for him. So you deal the players and get roasted for not keeping the team together or you keep the players and get roasted for that.

I think as a GM Beane has the right approach. Trade before you become attached (okay his trade at top value but you get the drift).

At what point does loyalty to a player outwiegh his percieved value? Case in point was Amaro in Philedelphia. He stayed loyal to his players (gave big contracts to keep them there) and kept the team intact. Kind of backfired for him. So you deal the players and get roasted for not keeping the team together or you keep the players and get roasted for that.

I think as a GM Beane has the right approach. Trade before you become attached (okay his trade at top value but you get the drift).

Even if you don't believe in loyality still why trade Pedroia? Who would want him? What could you possibly get back for him? How much of a hit do you take up the middle in defense if he is shipped away?

He isn't Jeter on his last legs or Rios who was terrible this past season. He's fine enough. You don't go out and dump positive assets for the sake of dumping them and weaken your team in the process. And you don't get sidetracked by wow maybe in 2 years this guy won't be too good (or maybe he still will).

Priorities:

1. You need a top tier SP.

2. You need lots of bullpen help.

3. You need to dump Hanley.

4. You would like to dump Panda too but he is secondary to Hanley.

Unless Pedroia figures into any of the above and unless you have a better 2B ready to go this season -- they don't -- then you don't mess with a solid 2B, decent hitting, gritty player, agitate fans and mess with the whole players/chemistry thing. Why? For what? For let's make a deal for the sake of making a deal and forget that we screw ourselves over and weaken our defense badly.

Now if he could bring back deGrom in a trade a la Atlanta's weirdly silly demands for Simmons, fine. But he obviously won't. The guy produces well in real baseball if not as much in fantasy ball. Ride him.

And I don't think Beane has the right approach. He's never won anything. The Red Sox have. They are one of the best teams of the 21st century so far along with the Cards and the Giants. Rings count. That is all that matters. That's the bottom line. Those three teams have the most rings so far this century. Beane keeps reaching for one and falling on his backside while hiding behind his endless "small market and limited funds prevents me from being great" mantra. KC blew that type of excuse up forever this past season. And the Pirates and Astros have done way better than the A's of late too. Sorry but I think Beane is more a manufactured legend in his own mind then a real one.

Even if you don't believe in loyality still why trade Pedroia? Who would want him? What could you possibly get back for him? How much of a hit do you take up the middle in defense if he is shipped away?

He isn't Jeter on his last legs or Rios who was terrible this past season. He's fine enough. You don't go out and dump positive assets for the sake of dumping them and weaken your team in the process. And you don't get sidetracked by wow maybe in 2 years this guy won't be too good (or maybe he still will).

Priorities:

1. You need a top tier SP.

2. You need lots of bullpen help.

3. You need to dump Hanley.

4. You would like to dump Panda too but he is secondary to Hanley.

Unless Pedroia figures into any of the above and unless you have a better 2B ready to go this season -- they don't -- then you don't mess with a solid 2B, decent hitting, gritty player, agitate fans and mess with the whole players/chemistry thing. Why? For what? For let's make a deal for the sake of making a deal and forget that we screw ourselves over and weaken our defense badly.

Now if he could bring back deGrom in a trade a la Atlanta's weirdly silly demands for Simmons, fine. But he obviously won't. The guy produces well in real baseball if not as much in fantasy ball. Ride him.

And I don't think Beane has the right approach. He's never won anything. The Red Sox have. They are one of the best teams of the 21st century so far along with the Cards and the Giants. Rings count. That is all that matters. That's the bottom line. Those three teams have the most rings so far this century. Beane keeps reaching for one and falling on his backside while hiding behind his endless "small market and limited funds prevents me from being great" mantra. KC blew that type of excuse up forever this past season. And the Pirates and Astros have done way better than the A's of late too. Sorry but I think Beane is more a manufactured legend in his own mind then a real one.

You do realize how bad and for how long KC, Pitt and Houston were, right? All of them were really bad for a long time. Which allowed them to hoard all the top end talent year after year.

Where as, Billy's teams tend to compete every year, or at least have appearance of competing before the season starts. Maybe that's the flaw in his approach. Or maybe he gets lucky one of these years.

Seems the system is currently set up to reward the rich, who can always buy talent. And the really bad teams. If you're stuck in the middle with no funds, you're in trouble when it comes to adding new top end talent.

The small market teams have no margin for error both in drafting and what FA they can sign. Take the Twins for exmple. They missed a few drafts in a row (three or four where top choices didn't have the success forecasted). It has taken seven to eight years where they recover enough to start a competitive team. Unlike Boston which reloads quite often by just throwing money at the problem. Some times it doesn't work and sometoimes it does. But if the Twins miss it sets them back for years.

It will be a long time till TB really becomes relavent again. Poor drafts and the inability to sign top tier FA.

Beane had the advantage of when "Billy Ball" started he had Zito, Mulder, and Hudson for SP. He also had Giambi, Tejada, and Chavez to start on offense. He also has made his name in what is a poor division. SEA, TEX, and the Angels had a few years where they were relevant but overall for a 15 year period basically played subpar baseball. And you are right he never has won when it really mattered for whatever the reason.

The small market teams have no margin for error both in drafting and what FA they can sign. Take the Twins for exmple. They missed a few drafts in a row (three or four where top choices didn't have the success forecasted). It has taken seven to eight years where they recover enough to start a competitive team. Unlike Boston which reloads quite often by just throwing money at the problem. Some times it doesn't work and sometoimes it does. But if the Twins miss it sets them back for years.

It will be a long time till TB really becomes relavent again. Poor drafts and the inability to sign top tier FA.

Beane had the advantage of when "Billy Ball" started he had Zito, Mulder, and Hudson for SP. He also had Giambi, Tejada, and Chavez to start on offense. He also has made his name in what is a poor division. SEA, TEX, and the Angels had a few years where they were relevant but overall for a 15 year period basically played subpar baseball. And you are right he never has won when it really mattered for whatever the reason.

Whoa Whoa Whoa... holds up... you say no room for error then immediately after that that the Twins missed in the draft 4 YEARS IN A ROW???? That's atrocious, not "no room for error"

Archived