3. Xander Bogaerts, SS

4. David Ortiz, DH

5. Hanley Ramirez, 1B

6. Pablo Sandoval, 3B

7. Rusney Castillo, LF

8. Blake Swihart, C

9. Jackie Bradley Jr., CF

Bench: Hanigan, Holt, Shaw, Young

I'm curious to see where Vasquez fits in as well. His bat is meh, but his defense can't be ignored and Swihart has not solidified himself despite his second half (had something like a .391 BABIP).

I would much rather see Vasquez on the roster than Hanigan. Also, while Swihart has more potential long term, both his offense and defense may not be MLB ready yet, whereas Vasquez's defense was MLB ready before TJ surgery. Either way, both have more long term value than Hanigan.

completely agree on hanigan just being a stop-gap. didn't include vazquez because it was my understanding that he wasn't opening day ready.

that line-up right now is really good, and i hope both panda and hanley took the off-season seriously because they can provide a lot of upside.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owner John Henry today in his press conference basically said that the mess last year shocked him and that he felt the Sox had been leaning way to heavily on statistics and not looking at the human component. This kind of explains I guess why he got Dombronski to head up things.

Don't tell Rabbitt here but Bill James is in the dog house and baseball scouts for Boston are popping champagne corks. Okay it won't be that drastic but Henry wants more balance in the organization going forward. Other than the stupid comment defending Panda he was actually interesting today taking responsibility for the debacle last year and admitted that the pitching staff stunk in 2015 for most of the season. He said he was totally shocked several times over by the performance of the club last year due to the parameters they had been looking at inside the organization. Guess that was when he realized he had bought way to much into the sabermetrics tells all model and needed to regain a more balanced approach.

Anyone who has heard John Henry talk before knows heis about the most mild-mannered, soft-spoken guy at these press conferences and usually does the diplomatic, feel good stuff like the Panda defense today. But the rest of the comments, while still soft-spoken, showed he finally got it about not running the team so heavily based on stats. That work ethic and heart and willing to learn and other "intangibles" of a player count as much.

On a talk show here they followed this clip up by mentioning how the Sox lost Andre Beltre by not tryin gt ore-sign him because Bill James had predicted Will Middlebrooks would be a 30 homer, 100 RBI type of guy. We know how that worked out ... not. Like the Sox asked Middlebrooks to play in winter ball to work on some stuff when he started to struggle in his second year and he refused cause he was going to go around the country on some PR tour with his girlfriend who used to be the "sideline color girl" on Red Sox broadcasts back then. I don't get the PR tour bit; seems to be something about his girlfriend but don't know why she would have a tour.

Compare that to Xander Bogaerts who couldn't hit outside pitching when he started to struggle after his call up and was a below average SS. Bogaerts works like anything on both and hit well over .300 and was a top three finalist for the gold glove at SS this past season. The human factor matters as per this example where Bogaerts wanted it and worked his tail off for it while Middlebrooks fluffed it off and got lazy.

Glad John Henry finally gets this but it is too late to get their money back on Hanley or Panda.

I'm not as impressed with their lineup as others. It has potential, but given Papi's age a steep decline could happen at any moment, and that would torpedo them. Bogaerts isn't your prototypical #3 either, as he's yet to grow into his projected power. Also had a sky high BABIP last year. If he hits .280 with 15 homers and solid defense as a 23 year old shortstop then he's a darn good asset..but not a #3 hitter. Hanley to me is an MVP level hitter when healthy (I think he'll be a MONSTER when he takes over full time DH), but his horrendous defense and propensity to get hurt continuously saps his offensive game. Remember April? Remember everything after he hurt his shoulder? Yeah...

We also don't know what any of the bottom four (Pablo, Rusney, catcher, JBJ) are going to bring. Simply put, I think the lineup and entire team is overrated. I expect them (outside of the infield corners) to play REALLY good defense though, which should help. And, with the MUCH improved bullpen, and an obvious rotation upgrade, they'll definitely be a much better club. We'll see how good though. If Mookie keeps doing his thing, Papi stays legit, and Pablo or Hanley bounce back, then this team should win a lot. Here's to hoping that's the case.

JBJ is someone i have yet to see drafted. Had forgot all about him. Speaking of sleeper potential.

For what though? Except for one month last season -- followed by a month of total terrible -- and that one spring training a few years back he just plain can't hit which is about 99% of fantasy ball worth. Also they got Chris Young to most likely semi-platoon with him since Young can't hit righties and neither can Rusney so Young wasn't gotten as Castillo insurance.

I think they are just trying to hold the fort with JVJ's defense until Andrew Beintendi (sp?) comes up maybe next year at which point Mookie or possibly Rusney moves to center and JVJ, if still with the team, becomes their "defensive, late innings" guy. Though both Rusney and now Mookie are above average in the OF too.

• 1 month later...

This team will only win slug fests. Outside of Price they have a bunch of 4s and 5s with upsides of 3s (Porcello, Buchholz, Kelly). Hopefully E-Rod will be back soon, but this is another poorly constructed Sox team, going to be a 82-84 win season piddling away Papi's curtain call.

• 1 month later...

Saw Swihart thread got bumped and that got me to thinking. I reallllly hope the Red Sox trade him. I don't see a need or fit with him for current or future plans, and personally I was never high on him as a prospect. He's still young enough to "figure it out" and be just fine, but if some team out there wants to give up a rock solid #2 or #3 starter, I think that would help put the Red Sox squarely in the title contender talk (I know people talk about it now, but I still think they need another starter/reliever). I'm more than fine with Vasquez as an offensive liability while he controls the pitching staff. Putting a pitcher behind Price and right in front of Porcello and E-Rod would be a major boost.

Long term, Swihart isn't needed. JBJ and Mookie have OF spots locked up for 5+ years, and Benintendi's got the 3rd spot waiting for him if he progresses well. I'm guessing Moncada plays 3rd, maybeee 2nd, but I do think Peddy's showing he's got a few yeras left in him (plus, with his contract he'll be around). Shaw has busted through the front door and clearly will be a fixture of the Sox future, likely at 1st if I had to guess. Hanley likely plays DH once Papi retires, and I'd bet with the remaining spot the Red Sox spend on either the slugger the Blue Jays let go (out of EE/Bats) or some other bopper.

The Red Sox have a great future lined up, and a great present with the right moves. Not sure how anyone else feels, but here's to hoping Swihart gets dealt for a legit pitcher.

I mean what would you expect for Swihart at this point? His OPS in 3 seasons at AAA is .675 and he's not exactly a defensive stalwart. Don't think anyone's going to be giving anything of value for him alone. Maybe a nice bullpen arm at best.

I mean what would you expect for Swihart at this point? His OPS in 3 seasons at AAA is .675 and he's not exactly a defensive stalwart. Don't think anyone's going to be giving anything of value for him alone. Maybe a nice bullpen arm at best.

Maybe 1.5 years removed from being considered the top catcher prospect. They can get much more than a bullpen arm

I think you're overvaluing his stock around the league quite a bit. Maybe you'd find a team to bite, though. Can't fathom someone giving you an SP2 or SP3 for him, though. That'd be absurd.

I think you're overvaluing his stock around the league quite a bit. Maybe you'd find a team to bite, though. Can't fathom someone giving you an SP2 or SP3 for him, though. That'd be absurd.

That's fine, I think you're undervaluing his stock. The type of pitcher I'd like might not be on the market, but I'm sure the A's or Padres, both who have some interest guys, would be very willing.

• 1 month later...

The good news is the farm system is loaded.

The bad news is not many teams are looking to trade SP.  They have to get a starter though.  Suckholz and Eduardo are huge liabilities.  Joe Kelly sucks would be an insult to sucking.  They need another SP in the worse way though.

They've got to make a move for a Sp at some point.   I'd say Teheran but I'd be very cautious as he's not been in the AL nor as a young guy do we know how he'll handle pitching in October.

I'd target Shoemaker.

Archived