NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trading Archer: Is this worth it? POST YOUR LINKS!

Gauthmann44

In a 20 team dynasty league, I was offered Lance McCullers and Joe Ross for Chris Archer. Based off my team (In signature) do you see the deal as worth it? Personally, I don't love the deal, though McCullers and Ross seem to both have fairly high upside. (I also have Rich Hill, John Lamb, and Brandon Finnegan on my bench).

I'd keep Archer for sure and offer Buchholz back for one of those guys as a counter instead. Start with McCullers but given Buchholz is never going to pitch more than half a season ever I'd even consider Joe Ross. Especially in how deep a league you have where young, upcoming pitchers are golden.

But seeing your avatar you already know what a pain Buchholz is so I'm preaching to the choir. And each year he gets older the more his endlessly fragile little body will break down. Sell as "high" (that term being relative with Buchholz) as you can on him and try to get one of these guys for him.

BTW that line-up in a 20 team league is stellar.

I'd keep Archer for sure and offer Buchholz back for one of those guys as a counter instead. Start with McCullers but given Buchholz is never going to pitch more than half a season ever I'd even consider Joe Ross. Especially in how deep a league you have where young, upcoming pitchers are golden.

But seeing your avatar you already know what a pain Buchholz is so I'm preaching to the choir. And each year he gets older the more his endlessly fragile little body will break down. Sell as "high" (that term being relative with Buchholz) as you can on him and try to get one of these guys for him.

BTW that line-up in a 20 team league is stellar.

Thank you sir. I won the league in 2014, came in 3rd in 2015 (Too many injuries). And yup, you are deffinitely preaching to the choir here mate lol

What categories? W or QS?

I actually think I'd accept. I'm a fan of Archer, but I think in standard categories, McCullers could be pretty close to him this year (both 12-13 wins, both K/9 north of 9). Archer likely to have the better ERA (low 3s v. mid-3s), but I think Ross more than makes up that difference. And they're both 22.

Sorry to throw a wrinkle into your plans here, but I make this deal.

I think you should stay put. The way I'm seeing it, the best scenario is that McCullers and Ross reach their upside and have the same value as Archer. McCullers and Ross could potentially not reach their full potential and you are out of an ace.

I prefer Berrios over Ross though. He has a bright future.

On the flip side, you'll be in great shape if McCullers and Berrios end up reaching their upside. You could get two staff anchors for the price of one.

Kinda CSB, but this really reminds me of an interesting trade that went down in one of my dynasty leagues during last preseason. One team gave up David Price while the other one gave up Archer and Carlos Martinez. Initially, I was shocked that Price went for, what I thought at the time, was a weak package of moderate upside arms. After the 2015 season unraveled, I realized that the team that got Martinez and Archer ended up with the better side of the deal.

I guess what I'm trying to prove is that you can't always predict baseball. There's a decent chance that McCullers and Berrios have a full breakout, but I think I would stick with the more safe option in Archer.

Archived