NBC Sports Edge Forums

how hard is your league?

ssmarsh

I keep seeing all these "10 team, MLB universe" leagues and I wonder how hard they really are. With only 10 teams and all those players available, it would seem like every team would be like an all-star team and that the league wouldn't be much fun.

I'm in a 10 team, AL only, 7 player, auction, keeper league which uses a 7 player bench system and monthly roster adjustments (drop 2 players, add 2 players). The B and C tier players really come into play in my league and the season can be won or lost on draft day if you don't know your stuff.

What are other people's opinions?

all depends on league like you said.

If its small MLB universe, its not gonna be to hard.

if its al/nl only, then itll be more difficult.

I think any league can be difficult, but that really depends on the competition. Sure a ten-team MLB universe league is going to be easier than an AL or NL-Only league, but if the other owners know their stuff it's going to be easier than playing against some people who have never played before.

I play in an AL-Only league as well, ten teams, last year it was eleven, with 35 man rosters. I think it's harder because you have to think further ahead than just to the trade deadline. And even the Tomas Perez's of the world came into play of some form in this league...no, that's not a high point. But I think it depends on the competition more than anything else.

I'm in a 10 team NL only Roto draft league. We use seven keepers that we can keep up to 3 years. 260 dollar cap. The league has been together for 15 years. With about 5 people who have been there all 15 and a number including myself that have been there for 5. We have a live draft in Oxford, OH. A helluva lot of fun.,

I think any league can be difficult, but that really depends on the competition.

Yup, if everyone makes good picks, the league will be difficult.

I only asked because I know people who are in a 10 team mixed league with daily roster transactions and I'm trying to convince them how lame that is.

I think it's too broad of an area to question someone else on the validity of their league. For several years I have been in a league similar to the "lame" one you mention (10 man, 5x5, MLB-Universe, H2H, Daily Transaction) and it's been a blast. Intelligent owners, competetive drafting, thin waiver wires, new and unique strategies to overcome, deep rosters... none of that adds up to "lame" in my opinion. A tough league is tough because of factors like this, not the basic setup of the league.

The "hardest" league I was in was a 14 team, 35 man roster, 12x12, MLB universe H2H league. Was it fun? Not at all. When you have to chart how Alex Cora does in pinch hit roles against lefties... in order to set your roster, I lose interest. It was hard because your waiver wire basically started at 491.... good luck finding help if you fall behind in an obscure category like OPS with RISP.

The best league format? The one you that you get the most enjoyment out of. The most difficult? The one with the most active and diverse league owners. At the end of the day... it still comes down to opinion.

AUTommy3 speaks the truth. Why hate on something else? It's all about having active players. And fun!

Our league is a 10 team 30 player roster, with like 24 starters I think. It's a freakin' blast. It makes real MLB news appliable to our league on a daily basis. I like taking in information on lots of players, rather than a small amount. Give me large rosters with very tiny benches!

Why hate on something else? It's all about having active players. And fun!

I'm not hating on anything, just asking a question. My opinion is that being able to drop guys all the time to pick up other players (2 start pitchers, etc.) takes away some of the challenge. I think the best part of roto ball is the prepping for the draft, actually doing the draft (ours is an auction which takes half a day and is really fun) and trading with other owners. Just my two cents.

I'm in a 12 team, 5x5 keeper league using only the AL players. Rosters are 23 men and each team carries a 5 man farm squad. We do it suction style with a $260 cap and contracts that start at 3 years, but can be extended after the 2nd year (at a $5 incremental cost per year added). We've been doing this for 15+ years with a majority of the original owners still involved.

If it is an AL -player or minor leaguer of any value...........we know them all.

I am the commish in a 14-team, AL/NL redraft league, H2H with extensive categories (12 offense, 12 pitching):

R, 1b, 2b, 3b, SB, BB, K, HR, RBI, AVG, OBP, SLG

IP, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP, H, BB, K

We have a minimum 40 IP/week, 50 roster move max for the season(this year will be 75).

Roster is C, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, OF/OF/OF, Util/Util, SP/SP/SP, RP/RP, P/P/P(this year will be 3 RP and 2 P) with 8 Bench and 2 DL spots.

Huge league, 3 hour + online draft. VERY competitive. Every team is in it at the end, usually.

Seaver, your league sounds A LOT like mine. I like the fact that you need to know who Tampa's backup IF is when you walk into the draft. Everyone knows who the stars are, it's knowing the rest that make you a winner in my league.

I'm in a 12 team, 5x5 keeper league using only the AL players. Rosters are 23 men and each team carries a 5 man farm squad. We do it suction style with a $260 cap and contracts that start at 3 years, but can be extended after the 2nd year (at a $5 incremental cost per year added). We've been doing this for 15+ years with a majority of the original owners still involved.

If it is an AL -player or minor leaguer of any value...........we know them all.

Same here, except 12 team AL with a 3 man minor league, no reserves. I have done several types of leagues and find this to be the most challenging and rewarding. I like the challenge of creating a great team from a more limited talent pool.

12 team keeper league. MLB universe 27 round draft + an 8 man minor league system.

If you think adding/dropping players (2-start pitchers, etc) is lame, then I don't disagree. But rather than changing the entire makeup of the league, make little tweaks.

We have a cap on moves - can't make more than 35 add/drops during the year.

If you think people stacking their roster with relievers is lame, then I don't disagree. We have an innings minimum as well as an innings maximum.

If you think daily transactions is lame, then I do disagree. weekly lineup settings suck.

Archived