NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Save opportunities ??????

Hey fellas, I have Brett Myers as a closer and I was wondering how he recorded a save tonight..... I looked into the reports and box stats.....and Philly was up by 6 in the 9th......and I dont believe anyone even reached base for Zona in the bottom of the 9th.......I love he got a save but I dont understand how, it wasnt a save opportunity....thanks

Hey fellas, I have Brett Myers as a closer and I was wondering how he recorded a save tonight..... I looked into the reports and box stats.....and Philly was up by 6 in the 9th......and I dont believe anyone even reached base for Zona in the bottom of the 9th.......I love he got a save but I dont understand how, it wasnt a save opportunity....thanks

A save is credited to a pitcher who fulfills the following three conditions:

1. The pitcher is the last pitcher in a game won by his team;
  2. The pitcher is not the winning pitcher (for instance, if a starting pitcher throws a complete game win or, alternatively, if the pitcher gets a blown save and then his team scores a winning run while he is the pitcher of record, sometimes known as a "vulture win");
  3. The pitcher fulfills at least one of the following three conditions:

1. He comes into the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one full inning.
    2. He comes into the game with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck.
    3. He pitches "effectively" (usually for at least three innings) after entering the game with a lead. (This rule can be contentious, as it is subject to the judgment of the official scorer.)

As you can see, Myers' appearance today fulfills all of those criteria (the one that tripped you up is that the Phils won by 6, but they were only up by 3 when Myers came into the game).

Archived