NBC Sports Edge Forums

Blake Swihart 2016 Outlook

mrfrood

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of numbers do you think he could put up this season? And what is his dynasty value?

I think he can put up 10-12 HR with a 270+ average. Dynasty Value is pretty high. Can't think of another catcher I rather have in Dynasty than Swihart after Posey, maybe Schwarber, but his C eligibility is in doubt.

Will he be starting for sure this year? And do you like him in dynasty formats over guys like Mesoraco and Grandal?

He might get a smaller percentage of starts because of Vazquez, but he's the starter. And yes, I'd have them over those 2 in Dynasty easily.

• 3 weeks later...

my question is..............does vazquez represent a threat to Swihart's playing time?

From what I have gathered, not immediately but very possibly later in the year. Word is Sox want Vazquez to come back from TJ slow and do not want a Matt Wieters situation, especially when Vazquez' strength is defense -- as a result, it is a very real possibility he begins the year in the minors.

As the season progresses and Vazquez is recalled and/or can handle more playing time he will get more, however, this may be a good thing for Swihart as Vazquez spelling him will keep him fresher during the year. Unless Swihart plays really poorly, he should be the lead dog.

I think a reasonable expectation in a healthy season from Swihart will be 120 games.

• 4 weeks later...
Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox could consider a position change for Blake Swihart.
The club hasn't been thrilled with Swihart's defense and will activate Christian Vazquez (elbow) from the disabled list prior to Friday's game. They'll likely keep Ryan Hanigan around as Vazquez's backup and send Swihart to Triple-A Pawtucket, and it's possible they'll work Swihart in at other positions, too. The 24-year-old has never played anything but catcher as a pro, but he's a good athlete and likely would be able to handle a switch. However, his bat obviously wouldn't be nearly as interesting at another position.

Well thats a crazy update. Didnt expect him to be changing positions any time soon.

Drop in dynasty drop in redraft drop everywhere!!!! :(

it has really come to this? I'm not necessarily disagreeing either. I don't think he has any value at another position and I dont see him cracking their OF/IF, Red Sox are stacked..and for the future.

Could have got Cole Hamels for him.

Vazquez has always been considered an elite defensive catcher. Swihart was considered solid defensively, but his value was tied to his bat which was supposed to be well above average for a catcher.

Swihart's defense hasn't been very good this year, and I'm guessing the front office is thinking that with the starting rotation being the biggest weakness on this team, installing a defense-first catcher would help.

I am not buying the talk that the Red Sox will look to find Swihart another position. I think Swihart and Vazquez will form a nice duo at catcher for now. Vazquez bats right-handed and is 25 years old. Swihart is a switch hitter, and he's just about to turn 24 years old. Both guys are still pretty early on in their development (Vazquez obviously lost a chunk of time to Tommy John surgery). I think the Red Sox want to find out which of the two to make the everyday guy, at which point the other could become valuable trade bait. From a team philosophy standpoint it comes down to whether Vazquez's defense and handling of the pitching staff is superior to Swihart's to the extent that they're willing to give up the offense that Swihart could provide as he matures.

uh i wouldn't go dropping him in dynasty until this actually plays out a bit more, unless there's really a better option on the wire

certainly the opposite of a value boost though

uh i wouldn't go dropping him in dynasty until this actually plays out a bit more, unless there's really a better option on the wire

certainly the opposite of a value boost though

Depends on how deep the league is. I can see a viable case to drop him in many leagues, even 2 catcher leagues.

This is a bit of a surprise to me, but I guess the Red Sox are actually considering sending Swihart down to AAA once Vazquez is officially activated. I guess there isn't room for Vazquez, Swihart, AND Hanigan. Better for Swihart to get everyday ABs and work on his defense in the minors than to play sporadically.

Well we knew his catching isn't polished as yet. He has trouble calling the game and allows too many passed ball. He does need work at his catching. But was hoping they would platoon him with Vasquez and trade away vet Hanigan. And that still could happen. Trade Hanigan at the trade deadline.

They also want to play him some now in LF what with Rusney's inability to play there so far and wanting to free up Brock Holt to roam around at all positions and not stay locked into LF. So he is suppose to get reps in LF at AAA now they said. (Long term I could see some 1B too a la Stephen Vogt 2 years ago when he was eligible at those two positions as well),

But I really really hope they keep working on his catching too. He is only 23 and it takes longer to produce a decent catcher most of the time than any other position. Someone today in Boston talk show pointed out that Jason Varitek sucked when the Mariners traded him to the Red Sox. But Boston worked with him and he became a really good catcher.

Swihart can never reach Vasquez' defensive levels but combine him and Vasquez (both under friendly contracts for years to come) in a platoon and get him some catching while playing at other positions when Vasquez starts and long term it could be a nice situation.

Short term it sucks for Swihart owners who don't carry 2 catchers. One of the many reasons I always have 2 catchers on my teams at all times cause I own Swihart in one league comboed with Lucroy so I have the luxury to hold Swihart for now. But people who keep insisting catchers aren't worth anything and always just carry one, and in deep leagues besides where the FA is dried up for catchers, are in trouble for now. They'd pretty much have to handcuff with Vasquez or just punt catching entirely for now.

Short term it sucks for Swihart owners who don't carry 2 catchers. One of the many reasons I always have 2 catchers on my teams at all times cause I own Swihart in one league comboed with Lucroy so I have the luxury to hold Swihart for now. But people who keep insisting catchers aren't worth anything and always just carry one, and in deep leagues besides where the FA is dried up for catchers, are in trouble for now. They'd pretty much have to handcuff with Vasquez or just punt catching entirely for now.

This is my situation. AL-Only leagues are awful for catchers even before one goes down. Probably punt city for me...

I remember there was such hype with this kid, and then the injuries piled on.

And now he's back in AAA. Hopefully for not too long since he's trying out a new position?

This is my situation. AL-Only leagues are awful for catchers even before one goes down. Probably punt city for me...

Yeah I keep forgetting there are still leagues where it is league only. The AL is poor in catching right now for sure. In that case I recommend Gary Sanchez in your NA slot. He could be worth it when he comes up even if he only plays back-up and if Brian McCann goes down with an injury you could be golden for playoffs if not earlier.

That goes for regular leagues too. If there is no one out there in deeper leagues in many 14 to 16 teams or more leagues then squirreling away the one prospect catcher who is most likely to be called up this season might be the way to go if you don't want to keep Swihart. Both should be playing in the majors this year later on. I think Swihart might make it back sooner than Sanchez gets called up but it's a gamble either way.

lavaman, Swihart hasn't had injuries. He is only 23 and was suppose to stay last year at AAA. His catching still needs work. He has a good and accurate arm to throw to 2B but he is bad at blocking pitches in the dirt and still has trouble with the subtle elements of calling a game. Vasquez is way better in all these areas and the shaky Sox staff trusts Vasquez.

BTW it was Vasquez who was the guy that got injured last season -- Tommy John -- not Swihart.

Swihart has the mental make-up to learn and he is atheletic enough to play the position. But the pitching staff needs a more polished catcher asap and Vasquez is already nicknamed "Little Yadi" (by Molina himself) so Swihart needs to be able to play some other positions as well a la Vogt couple of year ago when he was the 3rd catcher with Oakland what to speak the second.

Archived