NBC Sports Edge Forums

finally drafted my AL-only team

ssmarsh

My 10 team, AL-only, auction ($260), keeper league drafted yesterday. Our categories are: ave, HR, RBI, runs, 2*SB+BB, wins, ERA, IP-H, K-BB, saves-blows saves+holds/2. We have weekly transactions and access the FA pool once a month from here on out. Because of that, our rules let players who qualify at DH play the OF (for additional flexibility). The guys I kept are in bold...let me know what you think.

C - K. Suzuki, $8

C - G. Zaun, $5

1B - R. Garko, $1

2B - M. Ellis, $1

3B - M. Cabrera, $37

SS - Y. Betancourt, $1

MI - J. Bartlett, $8

CO - K. Youkilis, $4

OF - A. Rios, $13

OF - G. Sizemore, $39

OF - J. Thome, $24

OF - G. Anderson, $7

OF - J. Drew, $9

UT - M. Scutaro, $1

SP - D. Matsuzaka, $30

SP - D. McGowen, $19

SP - J. Garland, $13

SP - G. Meche, $10

SP - Z. Greinke, $3

SP - J. Lester, $1

CL - J. Soria, $24

RP - J. Frasor, $1

RP - J. Speier, $1

Bench (all at $0) - OF F. Catalanotto, 3B J. Hannahan, SP C. Lee, SP D. Moseley

For AL-only, it's a strong lineup, for sure.

Two questions - first, who were the big money guys in the draft portion? In our AL-only, A-Rod went for $46, Crawford $41, Vlad $40, Ichiro $35 and our most expensive SP was DiceK @ $30, while Rivera went for $25, and the other closers went for $16-20 (and Soria/Jenks/Papelbon/Street/Putz/Accardo/Borowski/Nathan/K-Rod were *not* available in the draft, I'm referring to the less "sure" closers). I'm just *really* curious how much draft inflation there was.

Secondly, what was scarce in the auction? I'm not crazy about your C's or UTIL, but I'm assuming draft inflation made you pay *full* value & then some (which is the point of draft inflation) to get your guys at the other positions - and I think McGowan/DiceK/Garland will solidify your staff, and I like Soria as a 4-cat closer. I suspect there were few bargains to be had, maybe except the end-game SP's (see my team, same effect).

Your team's a contender for sure in a 10-team AL-only league - I'm betting your league is like mine nowadays - the bargains that are kept as keepers pre-draft drive up the prices for the stars that are available in the draft, and even the so-called sleepers that everyone knows about (Josh Hamilton, McGowan, etc.) went for *full-value* or above.

Two questions - first, who were the big money guys in the draft portion?
Sizemore and Cabrera were two of the highest. Vlad went for $35. Bedard went for $34. Ichiro went for $30. FWIW, A-Rod was kept for $41 and Papi was kept for $42. My league tends to overpay for pitching and the A-tier closers went for $30+ with most of the rest going in the mid $20's.
Secondly, what was scarce in the auction?

3B was super scarce after Cabrera and since I had a lot of money to spent, I grabbed him for sure. IF was also pretty scarce, but I kept most of mine so I didn't get hit that bad.

I'm not crazy about your C's or UTIL
We're a 2 catcher setup, so you get what you can. For some reason, people overpay for catchers too, with Mauer ($18), Posada ($16) and Johjima ($14) leading the pack there. I got two starters for $13 combined so I'm ok there. Scutaro at $1 was an end of the draft buy for me when I was down to 3 spots open and $3 left. I know he's not great, but he'll play everyday (and already has a few SB's) until mid-May so I figured why not.
I'm betting your league is like mine nowadays - the bargains that are kept as keepers pre-draft drive up the prices for the stars that are available in the draft, and even the so-called sleepers that everyone knows about (Josh Hamilton, McGowan, etc.) went for *full-value* or above.

Pretty much. A few of the owners in my league, while being really great guys, are pretty weak drafters and they tend to throw the whole thing out of whack. I was really pleased with my team when the draft ended as I went in with a plan and it pretty much worked out.

Sizemore and Cabrera were two of the highest. Vlad went for $35. Bedard went for $34. Ichiro went for $30. FWIW, A-Rod was kept for $41 and Papi was kept for $42. My league tends to overpay for pitching and the A-tier closers went for $30+ with most of the rest going in the mid $20's.

3B was super scarce after Cabrera and since I had a lot of money to spent, I grabbed him for sure. IF was also pretty scarce, but I kept most of mine so I didn't get hit that bad.

We're a 2 catcher setup, so you get what you can. For some reason, people overpay for catchers too, with Mauer ($18), Posada ($16) and Johjima ($14) leading the pack there. I got two starters for $13 combined so I'm ok there. Scutaro at $1 was an end of the draft buy for me when I was down to 3 spots open and $3 left. I know he's not great, but he'll play everyday (and already has a few SB's) until mid-May so I figured why not.

Pretty much. A few of the owners in my league, while being really great guys, are pretty weak drafters and they tend to throw the whole thing out of whack. I was really pleased with my team when the draft ended as I went in with a plan and it pretty much worked out.

Damn, I could probably play in your league, and you in mine - the characteristic of your league's auction-bidding sounds *so much* like mine. Sounds like there was price-enforcing the *whole* way through until people were at below $10 for max bids. My team was probably #1 going into the draft by all accounts, and it's still a contender, but the same thing happened - if you wanted stud SP/position players, or even 2nd-tier options, it cost *plenty*, so pretty much every strong team was left still filling their backend of the roster with $1 options. Your team looks like it's in the same boat - from #1 to #18, you are *very strong*, while #19-23 are pretty thin - but I imagine that's the way for *all the contenders* (it's that way for our league this year too).

Given that kind of format, I can't really offer anything I would have done differently - I wonder if there were a lot of sleeper SP's left at the end (that was our jackpot - Ervin Santana, the Minny SP's, Eveland, most #5 SP's on any team outside of Toronto/Boston/Yankees and #4's on the weaker teams went pretty cheaply) - otherwise, there were so *few* bargains to be had in our league, and I can't imagine it was much different in yours - Carlos Quentin went for $8 *knowing* he wasn't guaranteed PT, and Josh Hamilton went for $26.

In the end, you got the guys you *needed*, and solidified an already-strong team. I suspect once dump-trade season comes into play, you'll need to solidify C & UTIL (and maybe get a 3rd *stud* SP) to take home the crown, but I think with your trade chips from your keeper list, you can fill those needs easily.

My 10 team, AL-only, auction ($260), keeper league drafted yesterday. Our categories are: ave, HR, RBI, runs, 2*SB+BB, wins, ERA, IP-H, K-BB, saves-blows saves+holds/2. We have weekly transactions and access the FA pool once a month from here on out. Because of that, our rules let players who qualify at DH play the OF (for additional flexibility). The guys I kept are in bold...let me know what you think.

C - K. Suzuki, $8

C - G. Zaun, $5

1B - R. Garko, $1

2B - M. Ellis, $1

3B - M. Cabrera, $37

SS - Y. Betancourt, $1

MI - J. Bartlett, $8

CO - K. Youkilis, $4

OF - A. Rios, $13

OF - G. Sizemore, $39

OF - J. Thome, $24

OF - G. Anderson, $7

OF - J. Drew, $9

UT - M. Scutaro, $1

SP - D. Matsuzaka, $30

SP - D. McGowen, $19

SP - J. Garland, $13

SP - G. Meche, $10

SP - Z. Greinke, $3

SP - J. Lester, $1

CL - J. Soria, $24

RP - J. Frasor, $1

RP - J. Speier, $1

Bench (all at $0) - OF F. Catalanotto, 3B J. Hannahan, SP C. Lee, SP D. Moseley

Interesting auction. I am in a 11-team NL-only 4x4 roto style auction - similar depth of elague to a 10-team AL-only.

I love Cabrera at $37. I had to pay $36 for Berkman (I was going studs and scrubs, and kept Holliday and Rollins at $33 and $38, respectvely). I wanted Howard or Fielder, and had an early auction discipline of capping my 3rd stud at $35. Howard and Fielder went for $38 or $39 each. Derek Lee ended up going for $33 (after Berkman). Carlos Lee went for $38, I think (before Berkman). Pujols went for just $30 - and I let him pass, because in a studs and scrubs your studs HAVE to be CERTAIN, without risk. Hanley went for $46. Reyes went for $45. Wright went for $49. So I like Cabrera at $37. Sizemore seems a little high, but my guess is you really needed him at the time he came up, and that others with his skills et were either kept, gone or you were worried you could not get them.

Dice-K seems pretty high at $30 - but there are times you have to just bite the bullet, I know. In our NL-auction (which was done Thursday, 4/4), Johan went for $41. Webb and Peavy each went for $38. No other starter went for as much as $30, though plenty went for $24+. And I missed on all of them, as each went past my discipline ($40 for Johan, $35 each for Webb and Peavy, and $22 to $27 for the next tier: Smoltz, Zambrano, Haren, Oswalt, etc). The only bargain anchor starer was Harang, who went for $19 - was the 2nd starter brought up, and i was not ready to bid on him until after Webb and Peavy were out of my reach.

So Dice-K seems expensive - but you have him and McGowan (and at $19 it seems expensive, but appropriate, as well) heading yoru ortation. I just have Cain at $17 (to go with my keepers of Francis at $3 and Pedro at $8). You are in better shape than I.

I also like a near end-game Bartlett at $8. But I do not see any players who are going to be great keepers for 2009 the way you had players like Garko, Rios, Yuokilis, Betancourt and Ellis. Seems like your end game (unless you tarded for all those players) was not as sharp due to the salaried paid for your anchor staretrs and hitters.

For example, I was able to save some $$ to get Carpenter at $1 (maybe great trade bait), Hairston at $5, Nix at $5, Parra at $6, Hall at $8 and Andrew Miller at $1 ... plus Heath Bell at $11. Of course I was only able to get at least some of those because I FAILED at getting my anchor starter, and shifted some of those $$ to the end game (also got Andruw Jones at $11).

But your team looks really solid.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Rotobronco - it does sound like our leagues are similar. I had targeted Hamilton, but he went for $27 so I had to pass. I'm happy to have two starters behind the dish, since I usually don't spend the money there and end up with two backups, so I'm not as down on my catchers as you are. Based on my categories, the only player I think is really thin is Scutaro, and he was the 2nd to last guy I bought.

jellyman - DiceK went for $36 last year so I think I got a bargain (based on my league's owners) this year. I like Bartlett at $8, even though I had him last year for $5 and didn't keep him. He came out late and I still needed a middle infielder so I ended up going to my max bid at the time to get him. He should be decent enough and I like his speed. I can keep all the guys I kept this season for 2009 so I'm not as bad off there as you might think. The end of our draft is always tough as the talent level really drops off and this year I was down to needing 3 players and all I had was $3 left. That got me Scutaro (who will play everyday until mid May), Frasor and Speier.

I'm in 1st right now, but there's a whole season left to go so I'm not getting too excited. Hopefully I'll be able to swing a deal or two if needed and bring hom another title. Thanks again for the thoughts guys, and good luck this season!

Big on HR, RBI, R possibly first in all 3 categories plus top 3 in BA. No speed at all probably near the bottom. Pitching ERA, Whip, K's and Wins all in the top three. Saves in lower third. A solid contender IMO, but you need a little more speed. I'd post about my team, but I already know it sucks! B)

Thanks for the reply!

Oh, I just saw that you have some strange rules, so you're possibly OK in the speed+BB stuff.

You're right, based on our using 2*SB+BB rather than straight steale, I think I'll finish at or near the top of that category.

Archived