NBC Sports Edge Forums

Daniel Norris 2016 Outlook

BleedRedsRed

Diagnosed with non-displaced fractures in his spinous process.

Anyone have any idea as to the severity or repercussions of this? Ausmus said it sounds worse than it is but I have no clue.

He seems like a real character and had great minor league numbers so I had high hopes but it seems like always one thing or another is gonna keep derailing this kid.

The most common type of spinous process fracture is one involving the transverse process. These are thin bones that are attached to your main vertebrae and have muscles attached to them.

These are common and don't affect the spinal cord or anything else neurological. No surgery required and usually the treatment is rest for 4-6 weeks. they are usually caused by blunt force trauma or extreme torsion, like whiplash in your neck.

Who knows what Norris was doing in his van or out in the woods.. ;)

Not a big deal long term. I own him in a dynasty and love his upside but this knocks him down significantly in a re-draft as these can cause lingering pain until the bones completely heal.

Ausmus was telling the truth, it's not as bad as it sounds.

I bet he fell down some stairs and landed right on his low back (I didn't see anything in any reports as to what exactly happened). SP's have some semi-important muscular attachment, in the lumbar spine it's mostly supportive core muscle tissue, but you're right, they're much more superficial to the spinal cord and the neurology of the lumbar spine, and it's mostly the discomfort of the fractures, along with the inflammation of the healing process that he will be dealing with for 4-6 weeks. I wouldn't worry much about his ability to perform at a high level for much longer after that!

Tony Romo suffered this injury against the Redskins in 2014.

Cam Newton suffered it as well in his car accident.

They both played within 2 weeks but that's a different sport.

• 3 weeks later...

Made a rehab appearance on Sunday and will make a few more before returning to the big league club at the end of April. What are the thoughts on Norris ROS and as a dynasty player? With his once elite K/9 ratios he is tempting if he can keep his BB's down..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived