NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rafael Soriano

Could it be Acosta who is the temporary closer?

Ppl say that Acosta was held back to close on MON because Moylan had pitched on consecutive days, but didn't Moylan pitch on Monday anyway? So if M was gonna pitch anyway, why not put Acosta in the 7th and save Moylan for the 9th?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at Acosta's WHIP history (counting the minors), ouch.

I will reply to my own post and add that I will go with Acosta over Moylan anyway B) After reading that article in the AJC, where Cox was holding Acosta back for the ninth (ended up not needing him) the other day, that leads me to believe that Acosta may be the closer for now. Of course I'm probably wrong.

can't wait until the next save opp and we know for sure. that is, if ATL can actually GET any save opps.

again, Moylan pitched on MON in the 7th, so it's not like he was unavailable contrary to what some ppl have said. He could very well have been held back for the 9th if he was the backup closer.

Is this a better pick than Lowe? Lowe f'd me.

I think so, primarily based on the injury histories of the two primary closers in each case. Putz's injury, while with the potential to be a nagging one (aren't they all) is reportedly not that severe and some rest should do the trick. Soriano on the other hand has one of the best arms in the league but even a hangnail would scare me given his history. Plus, he reported soreness (can't rememeber if it was shoulder or elbow) in ST, I think he ends up on the shelf for a while at some point this year. Wether or not that time is now is the question, but Moylan could be this year's Accardo (sorry Ruch, that ship has sailed)

Soriano picked up his only save of the season Sunday against the New York Mets, pitching a scoreless ninth in a 3-1 win. He has appeared in four games this season, giving up a run and two hits in four innings. Soriano's move to the DL is retroactive to Monday. Chuck James was activated from the DL to take his place.

Has he pitched relief before Or will he definitely stay a starter?

I actually grabbed Moylan this afternoon before going to work b/c of this thread and Soriano's history. I just had the feeling that if I didn't, I'd see Soriano to the DL on break and it'd be too late. I just love the thought of guys in my league running to the ww to grab this guy only to see I picked him up four hours before. B)

I actually grabbed Moylan this afternoon before going to work b/c of this thread and Soriano's history. I just had the feeling that if I didn't, I'd see Soriano to the DL on break and it'd be too late. I just love the thought of guys in my league running to the ww to grab this guy only to see I picked him up four hours before. B)

It's always important to stay one step ahead of the game! lol

Glad we could help ya out and congrats on the very nice speculative add. I know how good that feels to think about other members getting their bubbles bursted though.

I wonder how much money rotoworld has won me. Maybe not much, but has definitely earned me som fantasy pride lately. :)

While Moylan seems to be the obvious choice, Cox may want to keep Moylan in his setup role to eat innings.

i already have putz on the dl, and now soriano...so c.j wilson and sherrill are now my star relievers..

let's just say theoretically a knucklehead in my league dropped manny corpas a few weeks ago...

and my only candidates to drop to get him would be soriano or accardo (or cj or george)...who would you drop out of that? im figuring accardo since bj ryan should be back soon...but then again who knows if soriano makes it back?

The majority of rotoworld punters think its Moylan, thanks to his numbers last year and this

However, I picked up Acosta as Cox said he was the fill in closer according to yahoo.

If Rotoworld Basketball was the one telling me it was Moylan, I'd probably do the opposite of what they say and pick up Acosta (their BBall writers stink). But because it is Rotoworld Baseball, which has never steered me wrong, I am going to trust them and go with Moylan.

I hadnt seen the "Soriano to DL" update last night....so this just made my morning. I had a chance to keep Soriano cheap this year in my NL Only, but decided against it because I thought he was gonna break down. Instead, I drafted Moylan in every league I could. Looking like a SUPERB move right now.

I drafted both kept Corpas and drafted Rauch and Moylan. In other words....I've now got 3 closers for $6.

STOKED.

I really expect Moylan to get more save opps than Soriano does. I think he'll be back and forth from the DL and end up shelved completely within a month or 2. I just wish this had happened next week. Our FAAB deadline is Sunday and I already had a bid in for Acosta (from Monday). If Soriano goes down next week, I'd have been the safe bet to get Manny for $1. Now I'll have to waste $10 or so.

I was targeting Moylan in a Holds league w/ the idea that he would also become the closer in due time, but he didn't fall to me. I was able to get him in another non-Holds league, again w/ the idea he would close. Moylan has always been next n line.

1.54 WHIP in 8 minor league seasons, and has a 1.75 WHIP in 4 IP so far this season. Yup, good luck with that!

yup thanks...

I am hoping Acosta is last season's Soria or Reyes!

oh, a very small sample in major, his whip is 1.23. or 1.14 in 23.2 IP from last season.

the real good news for me is Atlanta waived Yates prior season started, and traded Ascanio this off season, otherwise, I have no idea who to choose from. BTW, Cox likes to use Yates. just like Torre-Proctor

Archived