NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rafael Soriano

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zubaz4fans
Hidden

now i know some of you are going to think this is bench coach forum stuff..but i think its regarding a strategy based on Sorianos value. Do you think this will be a recurring theme? I dont want to hold on to him if hes going to be on and off the DL all year.

I have Rafael Soriano right now. Him and Corpas are my closers with BJ Ryan on the DL (and now soriano is on the DL). Do you think this is going to be a recurring theme with Soriano? Would you drop him for Moylan who is replacing him, or Brandon Lyon / Eric Gagne are FA I could swap them in there too for dropping Soriano. I already have my 2 DL spots filled until Gallardo or BJ comes back so Soriano will just be wasting on my starting RP slot until one of those guys comes back. What would you do?

Hidden

with all the confusion im wondering if right now wouldnt be a good time to deal for Moylan if you missed out on him. Especially if youre an Acosta owner. the fact that soriano was experiencing soreness in ST make me think he could be out a while. i think i might offer my 4th OF for him. thoughts?

In his live chat today, Eric Karabell believes that Acosta is the one who will be filling in in Atlanta. Moylan was drafted by someone else in my league but I was able to snag Acosta up while we see how this shakes out.

Dave: Who's closing in Atlanta now?

sn2.gifEric Karabell: (11:03 AM ET ) Good question Dave! Where's Mark Wohlers when the team needs him? Conventional wisdom would say Peter Moylan is next in line, but the Braves seem to like Manny Acosta, and he was the one who would have closed if a save chance arose on Monday. Moylan pitched in the seventh inning. This is telling. Rafael Soriano might not be out very long, but Acosta seems like he could get the first post-Soriano save chance.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/team/depth_c...ex.jsp?c_id=atl

moylan is the closer, for anyone who was wondering.

In his live chat today, Eric Karabell believes that Acosta is the one who will be filling in in Atlanta. Moylan was drafted by someone else in my league but I was able to snag Acosta up while we see how this shakes out.

Dave: Who's closing in Atlanta now?

sn2.gifEric Karabell: (11:03 AM ET ) Good question Dave! Where's Mark Wohlers when the team needs him? Conventional wisdom would say Peter Moylan is next in line, but the Braves seem to like Manny Acosta, and he was the one who would have closed if a save chance arose on Monday. Moylan pitched in the seventh inning. This is telling. Rafael Soriano might not be out very long, but Acosta seems like he could get the first post-Soriano save chance.

more:

Xavier (Seattle): EK! The Braves official site lists Moylan as the closer now. Do you make anything of that, or still think it might be Acosta?

sn2.gifEric Karabell: (11:45 AM ET ) I make nothing of that. It's almost implied that Moylan is next because he's been the top setup man, but it really means nothing. It's up to the whim of Bobby Cox.

more:

Xavier (Seattle): EK! The Braves official site lists Moylan as the closer now. Do you make anything of that, or still think it might be Acosta?

sn2.gifEric Karabell: (11:45 AM ET ) I make nothing of that. It's almost implied that Moylan is next because he's been the top setup man, but it really means nothing. It's up to the whim of Bobby Cox.

I really wish Y! and ESPN are wrong on this one.

more:

Well, the fact that Cox liked Moylan enough to give him 90innings last year is telling too. Cox loves Moylan...and Moylan loves Cox (sorry mods, had to do it).

I will also say that everyone is saying that Moylan pitched on Monday anyways, so Acosta is the closer. You also have to look at the situation. Moylan was brought into a 1-0 game in the 7th inning with a guy on base. He's normally the 8th inning guy...especially if Acosta was "set to close" Moylan would have normally pitched the 8th on Monday. However, Cox chose to bring in his best reliever to get out of a tight situation. Moylan had already pitched on back-to-back days and he probably didnt want him to pitch on Monday, but needed 2 key outs (thats my assumption). The fact that he brought him in in the 7th in a key situation shows the confidence he has in Moylan. Cox is old-school. He loves his proven veteran guys...just look at how long he stuck with Wickman for God's sake. I really think that when the game's on the line he's going to go with the proven pitcher rather than the inconsistent Acosta (especially given his history of command issues).

I guess we'll see. I will also say that Ive I saw Acosta throw on Tuesday and his performance impressed me enough to put in a FAAB bid on him.

If it becomes Acosta, I am gunna kill me a Rotoworld writer! Glee-man was so certain of Moylan in today's Daily Dose that he doesn't even mention Acosta. He had BETTER be right! B)

If it becomes Acosta, I am gunna kill me a Rotoworld writer! Glee-man was so certain of Moylan in today's Daily Dose that he doesn't even mention Acosta. He had BETTER be right! B)

Its turning into a Rotoworld vs ESPN/Y! battle. No mention of Acosta in the Waiver Wire Column (link) now. Only Moylan is mentioned:

Peter Moylan - On Tuesday, Braves closer Rafael Soriano was described as having a "tiny bit" of pain in his right elbow. On Wednesday, he was placed on the 15-day disabled list with elbow tendinitis. Soriano missed two weeks of spring training with the sore elbow, and also missed most of 2004 and 2005 after having Tommy John surgery. While he might be back in two weeks, it's possible this could be a lingering issue. Peter Moylan, who has allowed one run in 4 2/3 innings this season, will get the first shot at the closer role. He could continue to see the occasional save opportunity if the Braves want to limit Soriano when/if he returns, giving Moylan plenty of value in mixed leagues.

Moylan is owned in both of my leagues, so I took a flier on Acosta in one of them.

His minor league numbers aren't impressive, but he managed to post solid numbers for the Braves last season (albeit in only 23.2 IP), but the 1.14 WHIP and the 22 K's in that time are encouraging.

If it is Moylan's job, no biggie, I'll just drop Acosta and move on.....

Its turning into a Rotoworld vs ESPN/Y! battle. No mention of Acosta in the Waiver Wire Column (link) now. Only Moylan is mentioned:

Peter Moylan - On Tuesday, Braves closer Rafael Soriano was described as having a "tiny bit" of pain in his right elbow. On Wednesday, he was placed on the 15-day disabled list with elbow tendinitis. Soriano missed two weeks of spring training with the sore elbow, and also missed most of 2004 and 2005 after having Tommy John surgery. While he might be back in two weeks, it's possible this could be a lingering issue. Peter Moylan, who has allowed one run in 4 2/3 innings this season, will get the first shot at the closer role. He could continue to see the occasional save opportunity if the Braves want to limit Soriano when/if he returns, giving Moylan plenty of value in mixed leagues.

Well, I trust Rotoworld (and Gleeman) more than I do Yahoo and ESPN. But when they are BOTH saying the same thing, it starts to get me worried. But whatever, it's not like there won't be more closer injuries/demotions.

I voted for Acosta because

- he had 21 saves over two levels last year, so he's used to high-leverage situations

- he had solid numbers in a callup to Atlanta last year

- he was the one of the two that I was able to pick up :)B)

Well, over in season pass (it's well worth the price, trust me...), the Glee Man says the following:

Ninth-inning duties are up for grabs in Atlanta with Rafael Soriano heading to the disabled list Wednesday. Manager Bobby Cox hasn't officially said who will replace Soriano at closer, but Peter Moylan looks like the best choice and figures to have at least a slight edge over Manny Acosta. Moylan didn't make his big-league debut until the age of 27, but has compiled a 2.22 ERA, 80 strikeouts, and a 1.14 WHIP in 109.2 career innings. Soriano may not be sidelined for very long and Mike Gonzalez is also on the way back, but Moylan is well worth grabbing in all leagues.

I'm goin' with the Glee right now.

I voted for Acosta because

- he had 21 saves over two levels last year, so he's used to high-leverage situations

- he had solid numbers in a callup to Atlanta last year

- he was the one of the two that I was able to pick up :lol:B)

What he said. :)

Archived