NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dylan Cozens - OF PHI

Longenhagen has mentioned he prefers Hoskins in chat, based on some problems he identified with Cozens' swing - I believe it was a balance/lower body issue that left him too handsy, but my memory coyld be wrong.

The pdf link from FG new top 50 has Hoskins at 58 & Cozens at 65 (by Hoodoo methodology).

Weighing Hoskins' advanced age against Cozens' abysmal home/road splits (they'te a$$-ugly, see the Hoskins thread for that discussion); and his love of the K, I recently kept Hoskins and cut Cozens for Alvarez.

• Like 1

Cozen has a higher ceiling than Hoskins(Better raw power, which is saying something against a guy who's hit 30+ this year, more athletic)..but Hoskins is more polished and closer to being able to handle major league pitching ATM

Cozen was drafted as a 2 sport star out of high school. Focusing on baseball didn't really happen until after he was drafted.. His path of development is going to take longer given a dude that is 6'6 has long leavers that leave holes in a swing.. While Hoskins was drafted as a ready to go polished college bat..

He needs to get to AAA and face against pitchers who know how to pitch.. I'd expect an regression for awhile...but dude is still 2 months past 22.. He has time.. far as ETA.. He could very well spend all of next year in AAA..with maybe a cup of coffee unless he makes swing adjustments in the off-season. As his current swing is obviously not ready. While I can see Hoskins making a MLB impact in 2017..

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

Just an update on said Road splits:

Cozen .265/.343/.417  10.6 BB 31.5 K  6HR across 225 PAs

Hoskins .254/.330/.503  8.7 BB  26 K  11HR across 218 PAs

Hoskins better...but he's clearly benefiting a lot from the home park. With Cozen having worse trouble translating his raw power on the road.. Which goes back to polish vs raw thing between them.. 

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cozens had a dreadful April in his first go at AAA, but has heated up in May and has reduced his K% significantly (SSS).  Came across this Hard Ball Times article which gives good insight of what Cozens did last year in context to other past minor league sluggers that are now in MLB.  Probably worth paying attention if his recent stretch of play is an improvement/adjustment to AAA pitching or just a hot streak.  Currently his 8 HR's in the INT league are tied with teammate Rhys Hosksins and only 2nd too Max Moroff's 9 dongs.    

http://www.hardballtimes.com/scouting-the-minors-pitch-by-pitch-dylan-cozens/

Eli-Ben Porat (author) makes a good case that Cozens deserves a little more attention than scouting community has given him thus far (outside of KATOH). 

• 9 months later...

Yea this is going to be an interesting year.  Has so many tools, but really needs to show some progress in triple a this season.  

From everything i have read, he seems like a first in, last one leaving, kind of worker.  So it wouldn’t surprise me to see some progress, though him getting close to league average in strikeout rates would be shocking

On 2/19/2018 at 6:57 PM, bbythepier said:

interesting strategy .... put on an add'l 20-30 lbs of muscle in order to "swing easier", have more control of the bat and thus more contact.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/phillies/Phillies_tell_hulking_power_hitter_Dylan_Cozens_to_tone_it_down-474520133.html

His and the Phillies (dubious) strategy is off to a rough start

• 3 months later...

Dylan Cozens aka the other bash brother has officially been called up and likely to see PT in OF with Rhys on DL with fractured jaw.

Standing at a colossal 6'6 235 lbs. Cozens, a career .218 Triple A hitter makes up for plate discipline with huge power upside. Brings some speed to the table, stole 15 bags between 2017-2018. Absolutely mauled double A in 2016 batting .276 with 30 HRs and 21 SBs. I'm adding in 14+ leagues and monitoring everywhere else.

19 minutes ago, Milbscout said:

Dylan Cozens aka the other bash brother has officially been called up and likely to see PT in OF with Rhys on DL with fractured jaw.

Standing at a colossal 6'6 235 lbs. Cozens, a career .218 Triple A hitter makes up for plate discipline with huge power upside. Brings some speed to the table, stole 15 bags between 2017-2018. Absolutely mauled double A in 2016 batting .276 with 30 HRs and 21 SBs. I'm adding in 14+ leagues and monitoring everywhere else.

Hopefully Strikeouts do not count against you.   He has struck out almost 40% in AAA