Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Acuna homers in his 2nd AAA at bat.    

He's not coming this year most likely. those of you who think this is unfair that he's not in the majors please keep in mind that he's been very aggressively pushed already. Acuna could have been assi

Saw this on the Braves subreddit:   At A+: 6BB%, 32K%, .411BABIP, .191ISO, 135wRC+  At AA: 7BB%, 23K%, .396BABIP, .195ISO, 159wRC+  At AAA: 11BB%, 18K%, .354BABIP, .288ISO, 178wRC+

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

Braves are 11 games out and just called up the 20 year old Albies. I wouldn't be shocked if Acuna is next. He's hitting over .300 with 4HRs, 5dbls and 1triple in just 19 games. 

thank you for pointing that out. perfect timing for my MI spot with pedroia hitting the DL :)

Have most of you pretty much added him due to the potential? Buxton carried a lot of hype at the same age but had the injury problems and now the MLB problems. It would be special to see him called up as a 19 year old...

2 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

Braves are 11 games out and just called up the 20 year old Albies. I wouldn't be shocked if Acuna is next. He's hitting over .300 with 4HRs, 5dbls and 1triple in just 19 games. 

I would love it if you were right...

I posted this in the albies thread:

Freddie Freeman is moving back to first base full-time.
Freeman's third base experiment has come to an end. With top prospect Ozzie Albies taking over at second base, Atlanta's third base reps will now be split between Brandon Phillips and Johan Camargo. Matt Adams, who had been covering for Freeman at first, figures to play left field on a regular basis.
Source: Mark Bowman on Twitter

The matt adams experiment probably won't last long.  i wonder if there is a real possibility they bring up Acuna.

13 hours ago, jb_power said:

^

I would think Matt Kemp will be back in LF when he returns from the DL

Kemp has been dinged up awhile now and I don't think a short DL stint will do him any good for the remainder of the year. The Braves just benched Phillips for Albies, so as far as I'm concerned the team is already playing for next season. That doesn't bode well for Markakis keeping his job either.

Acuna continues to rake in AAA and I wouldn't be shocked to see him in one of the corner OF spots in September. 

12 hours ago, recoilx said:

Kemp has been dinged up awhile now and I don't think a short DL stint will do him any good for the remainder of the year. The Braves just benched Phillips for Albies, so as far as I'm concerned the team is already playing for next season. That doesn't bode well for Markakis keeping his job either.

Acuna continues to rake in AAA and I wouldn't be shocked to see him in one of the corner OF spots in September. 

You may be right, but it would definitely be Markakis.  They didn't bring in Kemp last year to all of a sudden bench him this season.  He's also actually doing good enough this season when he's actually played.

At the end of the day though, I'd still be somewhat surprised if Acuna came up this season.  There's almost no reason to mess with his service time when they have nothing to do play for.  It would almost be irresponsible to do it just for the hell of it.

56 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

You may be right, but it would definitely be Markakis.  They didn't bring in Kemp last year to all of a sudden bench him this season.  He's also actually doing good enough this season when he's actually played.

At the end of the day though, I'd still be somewhat surprised if Acuna came up this season.  There's almost no reason to mess with his service time when they have nothing to do play for.  It would almost be irresponsible to do it just for the hell of it.

Pretty much this.  Nothing wrong with keeping a 19 year old in AAA for the remainder of the season. They did it with albies.  I wouldn't even mind the Kris Bryant treatment next year if he continues to rake this year and in spring training next year.   The Braves might be able to compete next year, but 2019 isn't a bad target for them. 

Edited by desert86

It's also about selling tickets. If they give Acuna a taste of the majors in September and he looks like a 19 year old phenom, how many more tickets do you think they sell in the offseason? That kind of stuff is weighed HEAVILY in professional sports these days when franchises have grown exponentially over the last 15 years.

12 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Markakis had hit #2000 last night. Since that milestone passed, I wouldn't be surprised if they put him on waivers to see if any post deadline trade opportunities exist. 

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

Markakis had hit #2000 last night. Since that milestone passed, I wouldn't be surprised if they put him on waivers to see if any post deadline trade opportunities exist. 

Maybe. As a Braves fan i can tell you that they like Markakis a lot. Hes been very reliable and a clubhouse leader and I just don't really see them forcing a weak trade just to call up their top prospect when theyre out of it and blow a year of service time in the process. 

I think Acunas most likely opportunity for a call up this year is if Kemp stays on the DL for rest of or majority of the rest of the season and Matt Adams struggles in LF and at the plate (likely).  I could see them playing it conservative with Kemp given this injury has been nagging him all season. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

Maybe. As a Braves fan i can tell you that they like Markakis a lot. Hes been very reliable and a clubhouse leader and I just don't really see them forcing a weak trade just to call up their top prospect when theyre out of it and blow a year of service time in the process. 

I think Acunas most likely opportunity for a call up this year is if Kemp stays on the DL for rest of or majority of the rest of the season and Matt Adams struggles in LF and at the plate (likely).  I could see them playing it conservative with Kemp given this injury has been nagging him all season. 

Serious question. Do you guys get a lot of people in the seats to see the Braves? 

There were some that thought the Braves rushed him up to AAA. He is now hitting .325 with a .964 OPS. He is just an incredible talent. We can't attribute to every player the same learning curve. Acuna seems to be more Machado/Harper than your average minor league prospect. He could easily be called up in September and produce. That doesn't mean the Braves will do it, but I wouldn't be surprised. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

There were some that thought the Braves rushed him up to AAA

I was kind of wondering if they just kept pushing him in hope that he might struggle/slump at some point so they could actually see how he dealt with some adversity. You can really learn a lot about a person when they are struggling. Obviously that hasn't happened yet.

Just now, dilly3307 said:

I was kind of wondering if they just kept pushing him in hope that he might struggle/slump at some point so they could actually see how he dealt with some adversity. You can really learn a lot about a person when they are struggling. Obviously that hasn't happened yet.

If they want him to struggle they may have to bring him up for one game against Scherzer in September. 

• Like 1

I would think the new stadium plays into Acuna's favor as they are looking to build momentum on what has been somewhat of a public image nightmare for the Bravos.  A lot of people weren't happy they picked up and left downtown for the Cobb County suburbs.  Personally I think it was a great business move, and bringing up a young talent like Acuna would add energy to the momentum.

I am holding my #1 waiver for him.  It will be interesting to see if he gets the call.