Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Acuna homers in his 2nd AAA at bat.    

He's not coming this year most likely. those of you who think this is unfair that he's not in the majors please keep in mind that he's been very aggressively pushed already. Acuna could have been assi

Saw this on the Braves subreddit:   At A+: 6BB%, 32K%, .411BABIP, .191ISO, 135wRC+  At AA: 7BB%, 23K%, .396BABIP, .195ISO, 159wRC+  At AAA: 11BB%, 18K%, .354BABIP, .288ISO, 178wRC+

Posted Images

The fact that his numbers keep getting better every time they bump him up a level is the real attention grabber.  For that reason, this blows away what Buxton was doing in his pretty remarkable-in-its-own-right age 19 season, so I am not sure I can point to Buxton anymore as an example of why expectations should be reeled in....

• Like 2

This kid is getting close to uncharted waters. He is 19. He has played in 3 levels this season, being the youngest at each stop. Has improved at each level in regards to his K%, BB%, and avg.

I really think he's one of the fastest and most successful progressions of a kid his age I've ever seen. It obviously depends on how his transition to big league pitching goes but this kid has superstar, and possibly generational talent, written all over him.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, tywalson said:

This kid is getting close to uncharted waters. He is 19. He has played in 3 levels this season, being the youngest at each stop. Has improved at each level in regards to his K%, BB%, and avg.

I really think he's one of the fastest and most successful progressions of a kid his age I've ever seen. It obviously depends on how his transition to big league pitching goes but this kid has superstar, and possibly generational talent, written all over him.

Mike Trout is like "Yo."

7 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Well yes, of course. I was hesitant to comparing Acuna to him but I do have to admit the thought is there :)

Every year we get the "could be the next Trout" type outfielder.  It's dumb. This guy could be amazing and Mike Trout would still own him.   

I truly see Acuna as the next big 5 tool OF player.  At one point that was indeed Mike Trout, at one point it was Upton, Mccutchen, Carlos Gonzalez, Harper. Matt Kemp. Braun. Right now it's probably still Betts as the last big one.  Robles could be the one after.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Every year we get the "could be the next Trout" type outfielder.  It's dumb. This guy could be amazing and Mike Trout would still own him.   

I truly see Acuna as the next big 5 tool OF player.  At one point that was indeed Mike Trout, at one point it was Upton, Mccutchen, Carlos Gonzalez, Harper. Matt Kemp. Braun. Right now it's probably still Betts as the last big one.  Robles could be the one after.

Right. Which is why I refrained from bringing him up in my first post.

The thought is there though, for sure. It's similar to what we saw as Trout was advancing through the minors. And if Acuna has the future of those you listed, I think we would all be pretty pleased!

You keep waiting for him to cool off... And he doesn't.

I have a top 3 MILB pick for the next draft and am hoping I can land this kid.  I didn't really look at OF too much last draft because I had guys like Robles,Brinson and picked up Juan Soto and am now regretting my pick of Soto over him.  I just gotta hope there are a couple of good top picks in the MLB draft that get snagged so I can fly in and get Acuna.  What he's doing at this age is pretty remarkable.

Kid is now batting .358 in AAA at 19 years old and over .500 in his last 10 games. 

Not saying he will be as good as Trout but his stats are pretty similar to Trout's at his 19 year old season. Only major difference that I can remember is that Acuna is AAA stats while Trout's was AA. 

21 minutes ago, Tomahawks said:

Kid is now batting .358 in AAA at 19 years old and over .500 in his last 10 games. 

Not saying he will be as good as Trout but his stats are pretty similar to Trout's at his 19 year old season. Only major difference that I can remember is that Acuna is AAA stats while Trout's was AA. 

Actually the biggest difference is about 55 lbs (and 2").

On 8/6/2017 at 8:29 PM, tywalson said:

I'm sorry, but this is not even close to the best.  Here are a few Age-19 comps:

Andruw Jones: my personal vote for most insane age-19 season ever:

A+  313/419/605 

AA  369/432/675 

AAA  378/391/822 in 12 games before finshing the season in the majors

Alex Rodriguez:

AAA 360/411/654, then half a season in the majors

ARod actually made the insane jump at age 18, when he started in Low-A, skipped High-A, blew through AA and AAA, and finished with 17 games in the majors

Mike Trout

AA  326/414/544, then jumped straight to the majors

Griffey Jr. went A+ to AA at age 18, then jumped straight to the majors at age 19, finishing third in the RoY voting. He skipped over both low-A and AAA on his way to the bigs.

Robin Yount played 64 games in Short Season A at age 17 before jumping to the majors at age 18. He never played a game in full-season minor league ball.

And if I remember correctly, some kid named Bryce won the RoY recently at age 19.

On the pitching side, how about Dwight Gooden jumping from low-A (at age 18) to the majors (at age 19) and finishing 2nd in the CY?  Of course, at age 20 he did win the CY.

Now, if Acuna is anywhere close to as good as Andruw, ARod, Trout, Griffey, Yount or Bryce, we should all be thrilled!  Just sayin' that he's not unique, not even close.  He's merely very, very, very good.

• Like 5
37 minutes ago, Ben Edelman said:

I'm sorry, but this is not even close to the best.  Here are a few Age-19 comps:

Andruw Jones: my personal vote for most insane age-19 season ever:

A+  313/419/605 

AA  369/432/675 

AAA  378/391/822 in 12 games before finshing the season in the majors

Alex Rodriguez:

AAA 360/411/654, then half a season in the majors

ARod actually made the insane jump at age 18, when he started in Low-A, skipped High-A, blew through AA and AAA, and finished with 17 games in the majors

Mike Trout

AA  326/414/544, then jumped straight to the majors

Griffey Jr. went A+ to AA at age 18, then jumped straight to the majors at age 19, finishing third in the RoY voting. He skipped over both low-A and AAA on his way to the bigs.

Robin Yount played 64 games in Short Season A at age 17 before jumping to the majors at age 18. He never played a game in full-season minor league ball.

And if I remember correctly, some kid named Bryce won the RoY recently at age 19.

On the pitching side, how about Dwight Gooden jumping from low-A (at age 18) to the majors (at age 19) and finishing 2nd in the CY?  Of course, at age 20 he did win the CY.

Now, if Acuna is anywhere close to as good as Andruw, ARod, Trout, Griffey, Yount or Bryce, we should all be thrilled!  Just sayin' that he's not unique, not even close.  He's merely very, very, very good.

Ok maybe I should have said "rare air" instead of "uncharted waters". It definitely has been done before, and even more insanely so, but nonetheless what this kid is doing is special.

He's the number 1 fantasy prospect in the minors for me, with Robles and Vlad Jr 2 and 3. I really hope we see him up for a cup of coffee to get adjusted and he breaks camp next year as the every day CF / LF.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, cizastro said:

I have a top 3 MILB pick for the next draft and am hoping I can land this kid.  I didn't really look at OF too much last draft because I had guys like Robles,Brinson and picked up Juan Soto and am now regretting my pick of Soto over him.  I just gotta hope there are a couple of good top picks in the MLB draft that get snagged so I can fly in and get Acuna.  What he's doing at this age is pretty remarkable.

I'd recommend moving up if you are able to. If your league has any sense to it, he shouldn't be passed up in the first 2 picks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I'd recommend moving up if you are able to. If your league has any sense to it, he shouldn't be passed up in the first 2 picks.

There will be a lot of talent in that draft and especially if you add in Otani for your MiLB class he will be the first off the board. Acuna should probably be #2 in that scenario but there will still be a lot of talent left. See what you can do to get that 2nd pick though!