Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Acuna homers in his 2nd AAA at bat.    

He's not coming this year most likely. those of you who think this is unfair that he's not in the majors please keep in mind that he's been very aggressively pushed already. Acuna could have been assi

Saw this on the Braves subreddit:   At A+: 6BB%, 32K%, .411BABIP, .191ISO, 135wRC+  At AA: 7BB%, 23K%, .396BABIP, .195ISO, 159wRC+  At AAA: 11BB%, 18K%, .354BABIP, .288ISO, 178wRC+

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Projections? Let's see 2018 and prime projections.

 

2018 (if up most/all year):

.275/80/22/70/15

 

Prime

.300/90/28/90/20

 

I'd say swap the SB and HR numbers, at least for the first few years.  How about Dave Winfield as a good comp for his upside?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another interesting question is if he's not called up this year (I think it's unlikely buuuuttt there's a non-zero chance IMO. Maybe like 20-80 shot), AND he continues to murder AAA, where will his ADP be in redrafts next year? 

 

I agree with Brock super 2 seems like the latest and he hasn't had any difficulty transitioning between levels. I think you'll have to take him pretty high to get him next year with a full off-season of hype. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

It's not anymore unlikely than yesterday imo.  It would have always been a September callup.

Not trying to be another bubble burster, but I have to agree with Kevk44.  There's just no incentive to bringing him up really.  You can say it would be to sell some tickets in September, but it still makes little sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Not trying to be another bubble burster, but I have to agree with Kevk44.  There's just no incentive to bringing him up really.  You can say it would be to sell some tickets in September, but it still makes little sense.

I agree but to say it is getting more unlikely probably isn't the right wording.  The incentive was the same yesterday as it is today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 5:21 PM, Ben Edelman said:

 

I'd say swap the SB and HR numbers, at least for the first few years.  How about Dave Winfield as a good comp for his upside?

 

 

Oh God please no. The last time the Braves had a Dave Winfield comp it was Heyward and we all know how that turned out.

Edited by bradwatson
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Oh God please no. The last time the Braves had a Dave Winfield comp it was Heyward and we all know how that turned out.

At least you guys got rid of that dude before it bit you. ATL organization has been firing on all cylinders for a while now. The only thing you need to worry about is if Acuna starts with the injuries. They'll move him if they need to. I think ATL is going to start being very good very soon for quite some time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 9:47 PM, KilloWertz said:

Not trying to be another bubble burster, but I have to agree with Kevk44.  There's just no incentive to bringing him up really.  You can say it would be to sell some tickets in September, but it still makes little sense.

 

I totally agree in principle, BUT ...

Dansby Swanson, called up before he was ready

Rafael Furcal, called up straight out of high-A (that one worked out pretty well)

Andrelton Simmons, called up after half a year in AA

Andruw Jones, called up after only 50 games above A-ball, then sucked for a year before he figured out the bigs

 

This team has a long tradition of calling up hitters before they are really ready.  This ain't the Phillies.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Orgs can be conservative to a fault. The whole super2 manipulation thing is a questionable strategy -- evidence of how MBAs in upper management can dilute the quality of any specialized service by mindlessly chasing pennies around.

 

Why not find out what you've got as early as you can, get a guy's first MLB taste in his mid-season comfort zone, and develop players at what looks like their natural pace? Say you don't ink him to a second deal. Whatever year you "lose" comes back as a year of service from the haul he brings in trade.

 

If the Braves really want to win in 2019, then the pace of this guy's promotion (along with Albies', Swanson's and their young arms') will be critical. And putting a winner in the new stadium could go a lot further towards affording longer careers from this generation than trying to milk extra discounted seasons at the cost of development, wins and morale.

 

Winning is the most profitable business practice. Hopefully their front office's history is a sign that the higher ups see things that way, and they bring him on up.

 

And he smashes all of Baseball with god-like skills and power.

Edited by bdy1
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ben Edelman said:

 

I totally agree in principle, BUT ...

Dansby Swanson, called up before he was ready

Rafael Furcal, called up straight out of high-A (that one worked out pretty well)

Andrelton Simmons, called up after half a year in AA

Andruw Jones, called up after only 50 games above A-ball, then sucked for a year before he figured out the bigs

 

This team has a long tradition of calling up hitters before they are really ready.  This ain't the Phillies.

 

I wasn't saying he wasn't ready actually.  As crazy as it may seem at his age, the way he is hitting, he very well may be ready already.  Or at least ready to be a quality player.  My point was that there is really little reason to bring him up at all this season since they are out of it and have no reason to mess with service time.  If it would do anything to his service time and all that crap, which I'm no expert in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2017 at 1:57 PM, wideopen21 said:

 

Braves are 11 games out and just called up the 20 year old Albies. I wouldn't be shocked if Acuna is next. He's hitting over .300 with 4HRs, 5dbls and 1triple in just 19 games. 

For what purpose? Don't get me wrong, I'm an Acuna owner as well and hope it happens after losing Harper, but I don't see it...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kevk44 said:

For what purpose? Don't get me wrong, I'm an Acuna owner as well and hope it happens after losing Harper, but I don't see it...

Okay I'll take a stab at optimist. Atlanta could be a wild card contender next year. Sign a high profile FA SP and have a couple or three prospects hit their stride and play to their potential, get healthy production from Kemp and Freddy and they're in the hunt.

 

Acuna honestly looks like their best shot at blossoming into a stud next year. If he does, then leaving him in AAA for April and May will cost 1-2 WAR. In a tight race those wins could be the difference between post season ball and going home. If the organization thinks Albies and Newcombe are progressing to the point where the team might have a shot, it would behoove them to get Acuna's feet wet this fall to acclimate him to contributing right away next spring. Front office might decide a year of control is worth taking a shot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bdy1 said:

Okay I'll take a stab at optimist. Atlanta could be a wild card contender next year. Sign a high profile FA SP and have a couple or three prospects hit their stride and play to their potential, get healthy production from Kemp and Freddy and they're in the hunt.

 

Acuna honestly looks like their best shot at blossoming into a stud next year. If he does, then leaving him in AAA for April and May will cost 1-2 WAR. In a tight race those wins could be the difference between post season ball and going home. If the organization thinks Albies and Newcombe are progressing to the point where the team might have a shot, it would behoove them to get Acuna's feet wet this fall to acclimate him to contributing right away next spring. Front office might decide a year of control is worth taking a shot.

 

I could see him starting 2018 with the club depending on spring training, but I doubt we see him this year at all. That's how they handled Andrelton Simmons.  Who knows, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevk44 said:

I'll say this. If ATL is even remotely considering calling him up, what better week to do so than this week @COL and @CIN...debut on the road and in very good offensive ballparks...just saying...

Don't the organizations like to call these guys up at home so their fan base can get excitement/ticket sales?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Don't the organizations like to call these guys up at home so their fan base can get excitement/ticket sales?

Not necessarily...they tend to bring them up on the road to take pressure off of them and their debut...settle the nerves before they get in front of the home crowd. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kevk44 said:

Not necessarily...they tend to bring them up on the road to take pressure off of them and their debut...settle the nerves before they get in front of the home crowd. 

Do you have specific examples of this?

Edited by Dark Kn19ht
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Don't the organizations like to call these guys up at home so their fan base can get excitement/ticket sales?

 

If they call him up then they expose an extra player to Rule 5.  It's going to be a tough call for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...