NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Riley 3B ATL

Austin Riley , 19 is a 3rd baseman in the Braves organization.  He's a big kid (6'3, 220lbs.) He is struggling a bit this year in A ball hitting .244/.291 with 3 homers. There is a lot of swing and miss in his game (70 strikeouts / 14 BB's in 201 ABs). He may not stick at third long term but he does have some nice power potential. I doubt he will be a superstar but he could be a good source of power at a CI spot. I think I saw his name in the sleeper prospects thread but he didn't have a thread of his own.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cue the It's happening Meme!!!!

Not fantasy related but... Met AR after the game Saturday night in Jackson. Friggin' class act kid. He signed my 2 year old's hat and ball and seemed genuinely interested in talking to him. We al

Another day, another left field start, another demolished baseball.   Camargo has struggled with the bat this season. It seems prudent to try to get Donaldson rest and Inciarte fewer PA

I touted Riley early in the year, and have been on him since last.  Power's legit, strikeouts are indeed a concern.  

Hasn't hit a bomb in a while, hoping to see some more power as the summer gets going.  Definitely like the potential here.  That being said, if he doesn't show growth as a hitter, the Braves may be quick to pull the plug on him at the plate.  Many teams had Riley pegged as a pitcher when they drafted him, Braves were one of few that had him as a 3B.

Kid's always going to have to work on his body.  Haven't seen him this year, but he was a bit doughy last year.

I do like him a lot, and definitely am on board with the tout

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, aeron said:

After a sluggish start Riley is finally starting to heat up. It will be interesting to see what his line looks like at the end of the year. 

I wouldn't say a sluggish start... But an average start.  He is starting to get very hot though. 

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

I wouldn't say a sluggish start... But an average start.  He is starting to get very hot though. 

For a 19 yr old getting his first taste of A Ball then yeah his start to the season was probably average if not better. In terms of what he done the last two months (.812  OPS in June and now .902 in July) he had a slow start (.690 OPS in April followed by a .638 in May). 

Edited by aeron
  • 11 months later...

Thoughts on his progress so far? Recently promoted to AA, hitting .252 overall with 12 HR, 47 RBI, 24 BB, 75 K this year.

Those strikeouts are a concern, but he's very young at age 20, so maybe an improvement on pitch recognition with further seasoning?

Also noticed that Freeman is under contract through 2021...hard to see Riley playing 3b consistently in the majors before then unless he is traded imo.

Edited by cltubbs

It is also hard to see Matt Adams keeping up his impression of being a good, full time 1B either.  It could go just as much trading away Adams at the top of his value to switch Freeman back to 1B too.  Or some other option.  Baseball has a way of sorting these things out. 

All a prospect has to do is hold up his end and make himself a necessity and it is amazing how he will arrive through all the underbrush to the bigs.  Well unless you are Ahmed Rosario but that isn't baseball; that is soap opera with the Mets.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It is also hard to see Matt Adams keeping up his impression of being a good, full time 1B either.  It could go just as much trading away Adams at the top of his value to switch Freeman back to 1B too.  Or some other option.  Baseball has a way of sorting these things out. 

All a prospect has to do is hold up his end and make himself a necessity and it is amazing how he will arrive through all the underbrush to the bigs.  Well unless you are Ahmed Rosario but that isn't baseball; that is soap opera with the Mets.

If Riley continues to hit, he'll find his way into a lineup (either with the Braves or elsewhere via a trade).

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CluelessJoeJackson said:

Not fantasy related but...

Met AR after the game Saturday night in Jackson. Friggin' class act kid. He signed my 2 year old's hat and ball and seemed genuinely interested in talking to him. We also met his family and girlfriend. It is easy to see why he is a good kid.

Well, makes you want root for a guy like this.  I remember Cal Ripken Jr. would sign, and I am in Toronto, for almost an hour before the game.  I went to every game of a 3 game series and he was out signing for Jays-O's fans alike each game for at least 30 mins plus.  Class personified.

We were standing by the dugout after the game hoping to meet a player or 2. The guy next to me asked who we wanted to meet and I told him that my son was hollering "Come on ONE THREE" (Riley is #13) all night so that would be pretty cool. The dude said "I got you, he's my cousin!" We waited around for 10 minutes or so with AR's parents and aunt and they were the nicest people. He hasn't taken that hat off since he got his "otto grav"!

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, CluelessJoeJackson said:

We were standing by the dugout after the game hoping to meet a player or 2. The guy next to me asked who we wanted to meet and I told him that my son was hollering "Come on ONE THREE" (Riley is #13) all night so that would be pretty cool. The dude said "I got you, he's my cousin!" We waited around for 10 minutes or so with AR's parents and aunt and they were the nicest people. He hasn't taken that hat off since he got his "otto grav"!

That is a great story.  He will have a fan of him for life, and has likely made an impression on your youngster.  At least, that will be the hope.  Always give back and don't forget what got you there, kid!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Work ethic and make-up reportedly off the charts. Law didn't rank him in his top 100 bc he doesn't like his bat speed but he is showing up on most 2018 lists. Has improved a lot the last few years and seems like the kind of guy who will do what it takes to become at least a solid everyday MLB 3B. K rate dropped last year and BB rate is solid. 

• 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, tootallball said:

With the Braves going all in calling guys up, I gotta feel like he is up when Joey Bats falters and if he keeps raking at AAA

I think they probably give Bautista some leash, and they're going to want to see Riley perform at 3B.  If Riley's knocking the cover off the ball in a month, or if someone gets hurt, they'll make the move.

Braves' moves to date have suggested the rebuild is nearing its completion, and they're in the hunt for the playoffs.  If Riley gives them the best chance, he'll be coming up to play.

• Like 1

September call up is my guess barring simultaneous injuries to Bautista and Camargo. Believe he is the youngest player in AAA. Braves seem to keep these hitting prospects in Gwinnett for a while. Albies played nearly a full season there, Acuna 70+ games. 

• Like 2

he looks big-league ready. the power is gargantuan. love the swing. 

I missed out on Cody Bellinger last season because I was too reluctant to stash him when he was raking in the minors (I just couldn't bring myself to remove Austin Meadows from our 1 Minors slot)

I fear making the same mistake, and just added Riley in a 12-team mixed (with 8 keeper slots). I don't think old man Bautista or Johan Camargo are enough to keep this burgeoning beast out of the lineup. If Atlanta management is as crafty as they seem, they'll add Riley to this already potent mix of Albies, Acuna, Freddie, and a reborn Markakis. Worst case, he struggles, and you determine he isn't ready. Best case, he slays the NL East, brings energy to the lineup around him, and cements himself as one of the premiere pieces in this tantalizing rebuilt Atlanta Braves core.  

P.S. dude above me... sweet Pablo Sanchez avatar. 

• Like 1

Stashed him this week. I think (if he keeps hitting obvs) he’ll be up within a month. I can’t see Bautista and Carmago doing much of anything, and Atlanta seems to be embracing this Young Braves thing. Especially if he’s a relative defensive upgrade over, at least; Bautista. 

27 different players have had more than 1 start at 3B for the Braves since Chipper Jones retired 6 years ago.

As a braves fan, I really look forward to the stability and power from the position I believe this kid will bring.

Despite how much I would like to see him up ASAP, if you are stashing him, do so hoping for a call up soon but don't expect it or rely upon it to win your league.

Would be very uncharacteristic for this group to call him up before September given how past hitting prospects have been handled recently and there are 3 capable 3Bs on the MLB roster right now. Including a veteran in Bautista who Alex A loves. 

• Like 1

He has never put together full dominant season in the minors. I think between that, Bautista, Flaherty hitting, Camargo still getting looks, and no more Coppy around moving porspects up quickly, he is a September call up at best. 

12 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

He has never put together full dominant season in the minors. I think between that, Bautista, Flaherty hitting, Camargo still getting looks, and no more Coppy around moving porspects up quickly, he is a September call up at best. 

Cool with me. He's firmly planted on my bench in my 10 team, 25 keeper. He may be their future cleanup hitter behind Ozzie, Acuna, Freeman. If I have to wait til 2019 then so be it, but I want as many pieces of the future of this lineup as I can get my hands on. 

• Like 1

2-3 w/ his first two AAA HR’s today. 

Dude’s pretty much “ready”. I think another month or so doesn’t hurt, but once Joey Bats flames out with another 50 AB, Riley is probably going to do well enough to be an upgrade.