Austin Riley 3B ATL

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cue the It's happening Meme!!!!

Not fantasy related but... Met AR after the game Saturday night in Jackson. Friggin' class act kid. He signed my 2 year old's hat and ball and seemed genuinely interested in talking to him. We al

Another day, another left field start, another demolished baseball.   Camargo has struggled with the bat this season. It seems prudent to try to get Donaldson rest and Inciarte fewer PA

This kid is absolutely on fire. Was hitting something like .200 two weeks ago, now is up to .309. 10 homers, has hit two more tonight. He is starting to obliterate AAA pitching. Donaldson has him blocked, but if/when Josh gets injured I suspect this kid will be heading to Atlanta. 

This dude's power is scary. 

• Like 1
On 5/4/2019 at 10:17 PM, phisouza33 said:

When’s the call up? 

Likely a long ways off as theres no where to play him. Donaldson has been really good over the last 4 weeks and is getting paid a ton, so hes not going anywhere. Unfortunately Its likely a September thing, and then a 2020 full time gig. 

1 hour ago, neverrelaxed said:

Possibility of Acuna replacing Enciarte in center field, with Riley taking left field?

It's conceivable if they feel the defensive downgrade is worth it - though the better course of action (if they want Riley's bat in the lineup right away) may be to see what they could get for Donaldson and simply plug in Riley at 3B. I've read that Acuna has struggled defensively in CF as well.

With Pache the obvious long term answer in CF as a potential generational defensive talent, I'd personally let just Riley/Acuna remain in their natural positions and continue to get as comfortable as possible. Plus, if Donaldson's bat picks up, they can probably afford to wait on starting Riley's service time clock.

That said, if they feel Riley can indeed be a near everyday utility player and can adapt to that role, by all means, bring him up - just not sure how they'd fit him in the lineup most days without trading one of Inciarte/Donaldson.

8 hours ago, Dark One said:

It's conceivable if they feel the defensive downgrade is worth it - though the better course of action (if they want Riley's bat in the lineup right away) may be to see what they could get for Donaldson and simply plug in Riley at 3B. I've read that Acuna has struggled defensively in CF as well.

With Pache the obvious long term answer in CF as a potential generational defensive talent, I'd personally let just Riley/Acuna remain in their natural positions and continue to get as comfortable as possible. Plus, if Donaldson's bat picks up, they can probably afford to wait on starting Riley's service time clock.

That said, if they feel Riley can indeed be a near everyday utility player and can adapt to that role, by all means, bring him up - just not sure how they'd fit him in the lineup most days without trading one of Inciarte/Donaldson.

Im always wary of shuffling guys around and turning them into UTL types, even for the shot in the arm. Feel like it just tends to retard their growth...shame theres not a universal DH, then Donaldson could just do that and maybe stay healthy!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Dark One said:

The only problem with that is if Riley gets called up and pulls a Kieboom then the Braves are pigeon-holed into playing a struggling player.  I don't really see a problem with calling him up to OF, at least on a temporary basis.  If the kid comes up and proves he can handle the MLB, I think then you could execute a Donaldson trade and move Riley back to his natural spot.  If he struggles, you could always get him more time to figure things out in the minors and have Donaldson continue to occupy that spot until he's ready. 

5 hours ago, cizastro said:

The only problem with that is if Riley gets called up and pulls a Kieboom then the Braves are pigeon-holed into playing a struggling player.  I don't really see a problem with calling him up to OF, at least on a temporary basis.  If the kid comes up and proves he can handle the MLB, I think then you could execute a Donaldson trade and move Riley back to his natural spot.  If he struggles, you could always get him more time to figure things out in the minors and have Donaldson continue to occupy that spot until he's ready. 

You'd have to temporarily bench someone in this scenario though.

Another day, another left field start, another demolished baseball.

Camargo has struggled with the bat this season. It seems prudent to try to get Donaldson rest and Inciarte fewer PAs.

Braves offense has been scuffling over the past couple of weeks. Fangraphs has their playoff odds ~30%, so ATL's front office would almost certainly be higher, probably closer to 50%. Additional wins on the MLB have more value now than any other time.

Call up seems obvious, imminent. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

Another day, another left field start, another demolished baseball.

Camargo has struggled with the bat this season. It seems prudent to try to get Donaldson rest and Inciarte fewer PAs.

Braves offense has been scuffling over the past couple of weeks. Fangraphs has their playoff odds ~30%, so ATL's front office would almost certainly be higher, probably closer to 50%. Additional wins on the MLB have more value now than any other time.

Call up seems obvious, imminent. 

While I don't disagree with you, Camargo shouldn't be treated as a roadblock (he starts once, maybe twice a week now) and I don't see them giving up on Inciarte anytime soon.  At the moment, I don't think they can really afford to give Donaldson much rest.

I don't see them calling up Riley unless he has a spot to play at everyday.  Does he deserve to be up right now?  Yes, but there's not any real obvious place for him to play everyday right now barring an injury.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

While I don't disagree with you, Camargo shouldn't be treated as a roadblock (he starts once, maybe twice a week now) and I don't see them giving up on Inciarte anytime soon.  At the moment, I don't think they can really afford to give Donaldson much rest.

I don't see them calling up Riley unless he has a spot to play at everyday.  Does he deserve to be up right now?  Yes, but there's not any real obvious place for him to play everyday right now barring an injury.

I think they are definitely grooming him to take over for Inciarte. 

Riley    Acuña     Markakis 

The Braves realized how much lack depth hurt them in the playoffs last year and the fans are so used to a dreadful bench that they forget that it's ok to have decent players be on the bench. You could see it when we signed Donaldson. "Where will Camargo play?!" "Do we trade Swanson?!" No. You have good players back up better players.

Inciarte as a 4th outfielder is pretty ideal, defensive replacement, pinch hitter, pinch runner; he can do all of those things well.

Edited by Bigfische
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

They do have a bunch of other pitchers they could call up to replace Wright.

A lot of comments on that tweet are saying it's probably Biddle.  Good to keep an eye out though just in case.

15 minutes ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Is he a must add in keeper leagues? 

A lot of this is league specific—how many keepers, etc.—but the short answer is yes. A young prospect on the fast track to the majors is generally going to be a must add.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

A lot of this is league specific—how many keepers, etc.—but the short answer is yes. A young prospect on the fast track to the majors is generally going to be a must add.

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback. I am just hoping he comes up in a few weeks, not in a few months.

47 minutes ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback. I am just hoping he comes up in a few weeks, not in a few months.

Hard to ever know, but they switched his position and he’s a good 3B. That tells you they’re fast-tracking him. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t mid-June, but I even expect before that.

• Like 1