NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nick Senzel- 3B Reds

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

Yeah but I think he does. Suarez has played SS before and it's not really as if losing games is going to kill this team. Is the Senzel--Suarez--Schoop infield really that unsatisfactory for them? Because I'd be creaming for that as a rebuilding team. Three potentially excellent hitters and RRL to boot. Add Votto and you get RRLL. 

I hope they're not just completely sold on moving off Schoop especially if they can hold him for the long term. That's why I really don't like this line of thinking I think. Because it implies that Suarez or Schoop WILL be moved in the future. I don't think they should do that. To either.

They signed Suarez to be their 3B long term and he's really rewarding them for it this season both offensively and defensively - he's not moving off 3B to SS. I assume you mean Gennett and not Schoop at 2B, but unless they can trade Gennett, Senzel's only path to regular AB's right now is at SS and they're just not giving him enough reps at the position in AAA. I'm holding onto Senzel in a key league myself and would love for him to be called up right now, but without a full time position I just don't see it without a Gennett trade.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For what its worth, he's playing shortstop tonight at AAA (and has homered and stole a base for good measure)

Pretty different prospects. Moncada was (is) raw with great tools and contact issues. Senzel is considered the more polished hitter, but doesn't have the toolsy speed and raw power grades. Consider th

Apparently the boot is off.  

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Dark One said:

They signed Suarez to be their 3B long term and he's really rewarding them for it this season both offensively and defensively - he's not moving off 3B to SS. I assume you mean Gennett and not Schoop at 2B, but unless they can trade Gennett, Senzel's only path to regular AB's right now is at SS and they're just not giving him enough reps at the position in AAA. I'm holding onto Senzel in a key league myself and would love for him to be called up right now, but without a full time position I just don't see it without a Gennett trade.

I have no idea why I switch Gennet and Schoops names. Probably a Scooter/Schoop phonetic thing. 

I dont see why moving Suarez from 3B to SS really changes any of the above. 

Again my problem is simply that I don’t thing a Gwnnett trade is the best move so I don’t think they should wait for it

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Yeah but I think he does. Suarez has played SS before and it's not really as if losing games is going to kill this team. Is the Senzel--Suarez--Schoop infield really that unsatisfactory for them? Because I'd be creaming for that as a rebuilding team. Three potentially excellent hitters and RRL to boot. Add Votto and you get RRLL. 

I hope they're not just completely sold on moving off Schoop especially if they can hold him for the long term. That's why I really don't like this line of thinking I think. Because it implies that Suarez or Schoop WILL be moved in the future. I don't think they should do that. To either. 

Oh and I mean... barely mentioned Votto in the infield equation. This Reds infield has a potential to be... realistically well above average... like WELL above average... NEXT year. Schoop might legitimately be a top 5 second baseman. Suarez is also having another great campaign and has been building his skill set. Senzel is considered the most talented of the 3 and Votto was second in the MVP vote last year. I don't think they should move Schoop or Suarez to make it happen. At least not right away. 

The Reds clearly don't believe either Senzel or Suarez can play SS or they would have let Senzel play more in the minors that a few games and at least tried Suarez there once this year.  I agree with you that it shouldn't matter, but the Reds management have been awful for a while now.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Magoo said:

The Reds clearly don't believe either Senzel or Suarez can play SS or they would have let Senzel play more in the minors that a few games and at least tried Suarez there once this year.  I agree with you that it shouldn't matter, but the Reds management have been awful for a while now.

I mean look, Suarez was a terrible defensive SS relatively, but I think he could be... Jhonny Peralta? I just don't like the insistence on moving Gennett for this to happen. I think they're botching it. And even if they're a butcher for now, again, you need to get those guys PT moreso than you need to be worrying about that. Locking yourself into a position wher eyou think your two ways out are keeping Senzel in the minors perhaps too long and trading away one of your best acquisitions for less than he's worth. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, taobball said:

I dont see why moving Suarez from 3B to SS really changes any of the above. 

Again my problem is simply that I don’t thing a Gwnnett trade is the best move so I don’t think they should wait for it

I don't see them moving Suarez from 3B to SS though. You had stated in your previous post that "Suarez has played SS before and it's not really as if losing games is going to kill this team. Is the Senzel--Suarez-(Gennett) infield really that unsatisfactory for them?" I don't agree with that because they signed Suarez to be their 3B long term and have given zero indication that they're willing to move him off the position given how well he's played there and how comfortable he is.

As to your second part, I'm not saying they *should* trade Gennett given how well he's producing, I'm just saying that it's the only path right now to get Senzel regular AB's in the majors.

Yes, the "Senzel-Suarez-Gennett" infield is really that unsatisfactory for them unless they change their mind on Senzel at SS.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Dark One said:

I don't see them moving Suarez from 3B to SS though. You had stated in your previous post that "Suarez has played SS before and it's not really as if losing games is going to kill this team. Is the Senzel--Suarez-(Gennett) infield really that unsatisfactory for them?" I don't agree with that because they signed Suarez to be their 3B long term and have given zero indication that they're willing to move him off the position given how well he's played there and how comfortable he is.

As to your second part, I'm not saying they *should* trade Gennett given how well he's producing, I'm just saying that it's the only path right now to get Senzel regular AB's in the majors.

Yes, the "Senzel-Suarez-Gennett" infield is really that unsatisfactory for them unless they change their mind on Senzel at SS.

And I don't really disagree with any of this either. It's just going to be sad to see this team move away from talented players simply to "open up spots." Selling talented players at a loss (talking Gennett here) isn't something a good organization does. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, taobball said:

Oh and I mean... barely mentioned Votto in the infield equation. This Reds infield has a potential to be... realistically well above average... like WELL above average... NEXT year. Schoop might legitimately be a top 5 second baseman. Suarez is also having another great campaign and has been building his skill set. Senzel is considered the most talented of the 3 and Votto was second in the MVP vote last year. I don't think they should move Schoop or Suarez to make it happen. At least not right away. 

I agree with your analysis with the exception of the fact schoop plays for Baltimore : ) 

10 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

I agree with your analysis with the exception of the fact schoop plays for Baltimore : ) 

The fact that this forum doesn't let you edit after like five minutes still confounds me. 

not even a CSB, but I legitimately questioned it, and defintiely saw the wrong face (obvioulsy,  I mean... they look NOTHING alike) in my head when i was like... is this who I'm thinking of... Yeah this is who I'm thinking of right?

Yeah just a legitimate and complete brain fart. Like I was, in my head, watching Scooter Gennett (and physical traits) make plays on two different rosters (confirming my "Schoop" thought by believing he played both in Milwaukee and Cincy) wearing a Jonathan Schoop jersey. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

Ha.  These things happen when your brain is on a roll.  I let it flow and hope it all makes sense outside my head in the end.  Also I'm usually posting in my phone and there isn't a spelling ot grammar highlight/✔ function.  So just keep it moving lol.

Back to the man.  Nick Senzel quickly adapts to the level he is playing like no other. He has amazing grades on all 5 tools.  I am seeing a Scott Rolen type but with good speed and instincts.  I think he will have a good swing and approach quite quickly and can not wait for his arrival.  Hell can he play LF?

I don't really buy this Gennett isn't healthy enough to play OF claim. If he's healthy enough to swing a bat and healthy enough to play 2B and throw the ball to first, he's surely healthy enough to at least play in left field. He may not be good there, but it surely can be done. And its the Reds, it really doesn't matter if they lose the occasional game. I presume this is more precautionary. He's had some reoccurring shoulder soreness. But no one's ever found anything specifically wrong. So they probably don't want for Gennett to get injured, assuming they do want to trade him. The Reds just need to choose what it is they want to do.  Cause it's not like Gennett is going to get magically "better" anytime soon. If you're not going to trade him, you need to eventually figure out what you want to do with Suarez and Senzel and Gennett. And if you do want to trade him? Do so before his shoulder flares up again.

Edited by Jericho
2 hours ago, Jericho said:

The Reds just need to choose what it is they want to do.  Cause it's not like Gennett is going to get magically "better" anytime soon.

To be clear, what relative "magically better" are we talkign about with Gennett? Because I would never use the magic word obviously, but I think many would argue that Gennett has magically gotten a lot better in the past calendar year.

I don't know if there's 5 Second Baseman, fantasy or otherwise, at the MLB level that I would prefer to Scooter Gennett. 

2 hours ago, STLSU said:

Ha.  These things happen when your brain is on a roll.  I let it flow and hope it all makes sense outside my head in the end.  Also I'm usually posting in my phone and there isn't a spelling ot grammar highlight/✔ function.  So just keep it moving lol.

Back to the man.  Nick Senzel quickly adapts to the level he is playing like no other. He has amazing grades on all 5 tools.  I am seeing a Scott Rolen type but with good speed and instincts.  I think he will have a good swing and approach quite quickly and can not wait for his arrival.  Hell can he play LF?

I also think I legitimately broke my brain on this one. I did it again in somehting else I'm writing. I did catch it write away but the alliteration "Suarez Senzel and Schoop" is just like deep in my cranium now. Only when I talk about them in succession. 

It's also just really weird because I LOVE Gennett and I HATE Schoop. 

Edited by taobball
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, huskadeez said:

Anyone know what happened with him tonight? Looks like he was removed for a pinch hitter in the bottom of the first inning. 

Sounds like a potential injury to index finger, but details aren't clear, or confirmed. 

Actually, looks like it has been confirmed:

@RedsPR: Louisville's Nick Senzel left tonight's game with an injury to his right index finger. He will be examined again tomorrow.

Edited by Onions

this is the Reds fault. Senzel should have already been with Cincinnati. he had nothing left to prove in AAA.

I know it's a ways off now until the start of 2019, but does Senzel start the 2019 season with the Reds? or do we go through this BS again.

30 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Great. Now he'll start next season rotting away in Triple-A again for the first few months of the season

Maybe. The Reds could try it. But I think at this point second week of April is easily possible especially if he performs in spring. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, taobball said:

Maybe. The Reds could try it. But I think at this point second week of April is easily possible especially if he performs in spring. 

Really hoping they simply try to give him the reigns at SS in order for the ol' "extra year of team control" scenario to play out that way.

A perfect place to try to get him comfortable at SS is the Arizona Fall League (he should definitely be healed in time to participate there).

• Like 1
20 hours ago, taobball said:

To be clear, what relative "magically better" are we talkign about with Gennett? Because I would never use the magic word obviously, but I think many would argue that Gennett has magically gotten a lot better in the past calendar year.

I don't know if there's 5 Second Baseman, fantasy or otherwise, at the MLB level that I would prefer to Scooter Gennett. 

To be clear I meant health wise (not production). People talk about how Gennett isn't "healthy" enough to play outfield right now. Though apparently he's healthy enough to otherwise play baseball, and swing a bat, and throw to first. And he hasn't been diagnosed with any specific injury. Some of these people imply Gennett could eventually play the outfield again, but no one is clear on that. Or when. Or why. But I guess it's all moot now

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jericho said:

To be clear I meant health wise (not production). People talk about how Gennett isn't "healthy" enough to play outfield right now. Though apparently he's healthy enough to otherwise play baseball, and swing a bat, and throw to first. And he hasn't been diagnosed with any specific injury. Some of these people imply Gennett could eventually play the outfield again, but no one is clear on that. Or when. Or why. But I guess it's all moot now

When has Gennett's health been an issue this year? The reason he hasn't seen time in the OF isn't because he's not healthy to play there, it's because he's just a terrible outfielder with a horrible arm.