Kolby Allard - SP ATL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another damn good start for him today:   5IP, 5H, 0ER, 1BB, 5Ks

Holding his own at AA. Another good start yesterday:   6IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, 1K.

3 hits and 11 K's in 6 innings tonight.  Very impressive.  

I got him as sort of a throw in a big trade recently and reading that had me salivating. I had heard Kershaw comparisons a while ago but things seemed to cool down after the back injury and even some trepidation after getting tore apart in his first two starts. I wonder if he'll start to rise on prospects lists now that he's healthy. 

Any reason why Allard was sent from Low-A Rome, a full season team, to rookie league Danville? After two poor outings in his return from a back issue, his third start for Rome was fantastic.

Here's a largely positive scouting report from Baseball HQ: http://baseballhq.com/content/minors-eyes-have-it—kolby-allard-chris-paddack

Edited by rdf8585
On 6/24/2016 at 9:55 AM, rdf8585 said:

Any reason why Allard was sent from Low-A Rome, a full season team, to rookie league Danville? After two poor outings in his return from a back issue, his third start for Rome was fantastic.

Here's a largely positive scouting report from Baseball HQ: http://baseballhq.com/content/minors-eyes-have-it—kolby-allard-chris-paddack

I'm just speculating, but it could have been he was assigned to Rome simply because he was ready to pitch in actual games, but Danville had not yet opened their season.  While he was with Rome, they had to work with a six-man rotation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2016 at 1:19 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I wonder why he started the year at A then moved down to Rookie ball and now back to A

From what I've read, he was getting roughed up a bit in A, so they sent him down to re-focus.

From a chat today:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-822/

LioneeR: What low level pitching prospect of the Braves should I be most excited about? Allard, Soroka, Weigel, Anderson, Wentz, Muller, Wilson, or someone else?

Eric A Longenhagen: I’d have Allard, Anderson, and Wentz atop a list of those names.

and

beau: Kolby Allard‘s ceiling? Been cruising the last couple of weeks.

Eric A Longenhagen: Ceiling? #2 if I’m being aggressive.

And from this week's BA Hot Sheet Chat:

Ryan (Indy): If all of Atlanta's young arms reach their potential, what is their rotation in 3-4 years, in your opinion?
Kyle Glaser: Had this question in the car with Hudson Belinksy the other day. I go Julio Teheran, Sean Newcomb, Matt Wisler, Koby Allard, Mike Soroka. Allard and Soroka are the two best of the lower-level arms. Wisler is coming around and Newcomb still has as good of swing and miss stuff as any lefty in the minors. And Teheran is signed thru 2020, a full four years from now. He’s not going anywhere if the Braves start to compete in 17/18 as planned.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-sept-2-2/#vJwt20It6GoaDtVB.99

• 7 months later...

Allard starting out the year at AA and today was his second start:

5IP 3H 0ER 2BB 3Ks

In his first start he went 5IP 6H 2ER 1BB 5Ks

Here's a story about today's (wild) game, where the Cubs' affiliate came back from a 7-0 deficit in the bottom of the ninth to win it.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/atlanta-braves-prospect-kolby-allard-posts-zeros-in-second-double-a-mississippi-start/c-224065712/t-185364810

Bound by early-season pitch and innings limits, Allard needed only 71 pitches to get through his outing, throwing 45 of them for strikes while getting six swings and misses. The 19-year-old left-hander's strikeout total tied a career low, but that fact didn't equate to runs for the Smokies, and Allard pointed to his changeup as a major key to his success.

"I had pretty good command of it all afternoon and was able to keep it down, which is always big for me," said Allard, who induced seven groundouts compared to four through the air. "It starts when I'm able to locate the fastball to both sides, and the two pitches really complement each other well. If I've got that down, I can do well."  

The changeup, given an above-average 55 grade on the 20-80 scouting scale by MLB.com, played a key role in getting Allard out of his only major jam in the third inning.

Edited by 12to6