Kolby Allard - SP ATL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another damn good start for him today:   5IP, 5H, 0ER, 1BB, 5Ks

Holding his own at AA. Another good start yesterday:   6IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, 1K.

3 hits and 11 K's in 6 innings tonight.  Very impressive.  

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, illasakhil said:

Is that confirmed?

Rotoworld blurb.  The word is "expected" here.  But the Braves just now traded away Sims and Wisler further clearing the field for Allard.

Braves prospect left-hander Kolby Allard is expected to be called up to make his major league debut Tuesday against the Marlins.

Advice: All signs have been pointing in this direction since Allard was scratched from his scheduled start in Triple-A on Sunday. The 20-year-old (he's just a couple of weeks away from turning 21) has put up a 2.80 ERA and 87/33 K/BB ratio in 109 1/3 innings over 18 starts this year with Gwinnett. It's unclear how long he'll stick around, but he's worth a shot in deeper fantasy leagues with this matchup.

More: David O'Brien on Twitter

I am surprised he is only 20 years old though.  Did not know that.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tomahawks said:

Eye ball test says AAAA player. Guess the rain affected his curveball but a 20 year old throwing fastballs at 87?  (Most were at 88-89) He better hit his spots... And I’m a Braves fan 

Another Braves fan and am not optimistic. He does not miss bats and the fastball is flat and in the 80s. Advanced stats from AAA indicate he's been rather lucky. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any thoughts on Allard now that he's with the Rangers (and in the rotation)? He's a two start pitcher this week with match-ups against LAA and @CHW. Thoughts? 

Everything I've read about him is a bit underwhelming. Apparently he's lost velocity since he's been drafted, but he's supposedly become a better "pitcher" to help compensate.

46 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Allard now that he's with the Rangers (and in the rotation)? He's a two start pitcher this week with match-ups against LAA and @CHW. Thoughts? 

Everything I've read about him is a bit underwhelming. Apparently he's lost velocity since he's been drafted, but he's supposedly become a better "pitcher" to help compensate.

Not really a guy I'd want. Looks mid to back end rotation upside.

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

not advocating for his usage, but he's actually gained velocity since his major league starts in 2018.

his two starts with TEX show his four-seamer averaging around 93 MPH, while last season he had three starts and averaged around 89 MPH.

Just now, osb_tensor said:

not advocating for his usage, but he's actually gained velocity since his major league starts in 2018.

his two starts with TEX show his four-seamer averaging around 93 MPH, while last season he had three starts and averaged around 89 MPH.

That actually sounds a bit encouraging to me. I'm thinking in a deep head to head weekly league (15ish teams) he actually might be usable this week. 

On 7/31/2018 at 11:46 PM, Letitbe793 said:

Another Braves fan and am not optimistic. He does not miss bats and the fastball is flat and in the 80s. Advanced stats from AAA indicate he's been rather lucky. 

Actually, his fastball is consistently 92-94 and he has a developing cutter that looks like a true + pitch. His curve was known to also be + but for whatever reason he has used it sparingly in his four starts with Texas. Yet, other than a dreadful inning against LAA, he has been pretty damn solid. Considering he has yet to even really unleash his curve ball I say the results for Texas fans have to make them excited about his potential. He clearly has bottom rotation floor, but what I saw Friday night suggests there could be a bit more ceiling here. 

24 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Actually, his fastball is consistently 92-94 and he has a developing cutter that looks like a true + pitch. His curve was known to also be + but for whatever reason he has used it sparingly in his four starts with Texas. Yet, other than a dreadful inning against LAA, he has been pretty damn solid. Considering he has yet to even really unleash his curve ball I say the results for Texas fans have to make them excited about his potential. He clearly has bottom rotation floor, but what I saw Friday night suggests there could be a bit more ceiling here. 

Last year when I posted that he was topping out high 80s. He’s gained some velocity this year but still not missing bats anywhere close to level to be successful with his skill set at MLB level. Maybe 5 starter but really don’t see any ceiling