NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jahlil Okafor 2016-2017 Season Outlook

11 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Looks like it's coming down to Bulls or Pels. I can see him co-existing with AD, as an old fashioned back to the basket big, with AD to erase his defensive shortcomings. The Pels have tried many other 5s and failed (Omer Asik....) They want AD at the 4.

I'm not sure I see him doing well on the Bulls, however. RoLo is not going away. The two cannot play together. Someone please help me understand. Why are we excited for him to go to the Bulls?

We're not excited with him going to the Bulls, but signs have been pointing that way. Pels is better IMO. At least the starting C position is contestable.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ellejamil said:

We're not excited with him going to the Bulls, but signs have been pointing that way. Pels is better IMO. At least the starting C position is contestable.

More than contestable. If the Pels trade for him, they will start him at the 5 and move AD to the 4. Book that.

Can't say the same in Chicago.

7 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

More than contestable. If the Pels trade for him, they will start him at the 5 and move AD to the 4. Book that.

Can't say the same in Chicago.

Seems like a terrible idea. I love Davis at the 5 with his awesome rebounding and rim protection. Too bad he doesn't want to play there...

I'd prefer Plumlee to Okafor if I had to move Davis to the 5, so you don't lose anything in defense. 

I just don't see Jah being anything more than a backup center at the moment. His lateral quickness is too much of a liability in today's game.

1 hour ago, Basketboss21 said:

Seems like a terrible idea. I love Davis at the 5 with his awesome rebounding and rim protection. Too bad he doesn't want to play there...

I'd prefer Plumlee to Okafor if I had to move Davis to the 5, so you don't lose anything in defense. 

I just don't see Jah being anything more than a backup center at the moment. His lateral quickness is too much of a liability in today's game.

I dont think Pels would want to keep AD in the 5 given how injury prone he is. With that in mind, they need a banger  with low usage in there

The only thing I gather from him joined the 76ers for their game against Boston is that they are asking way too much for him. The Bulls are not giving up a first round pick for him. Maybe the Pelicans do, but I can't see that either. Okafor gives you no defensive stats. And any playoff team that is looking for a big is looking for a rim protector. 

2 hours ago, Trade Monster said:

The only thing I gather from him joined the 76ers for their game against Boston is that they are asking way too much for him. The Bulls are not giving up a first round pick for him. Maybe the Pelicans do, but I can't see that either. Okafor gives you no defensive stats. And any playoff team that is looking for a big is looking for a rim protector. 

Yeah, it seems like the front office has tried to inflate his market value by leaking all these proposed trades, but there doesn't really seem to be much of a demand at all. By not wanting to make a "bad deal" and continuing to hold onto Okafor in the hopes of getting a better one, they've only dug themselves into a deeper hole and the rest of the NBA knows the Sixers are desperate to get rid of him. Okafor's market value has shrunk and Colangelo's in a complete position of weakness at the moment. They honestly should have tried to unload him during the draft or in the offseason. They might just have to wait again for that period and hope they can get a decent piece in return. 

Just wanted to add this excerpt from The Ringer which pretty much sums up the entire situation: https://theringer.com/pressing-eastern-conference-questions-36897397d17#.5uiuwcklh

A Jahlil Okafor trade appeared imminent this weekend: The Sixers left Okafor in Philadelphia when they traveled to Charlotte, and head coach Brett Brown admitted they did it because the former Duke star was involved in trade conversations. HoopsHype’s Alex Kennedy reported those talks were with the Pelicans, Bulls, Blazers, and Nuggets. “Jahlil Okafor’s situation is transparent,” Brown said Monday. “He’s in the middle of being discussed in trade scenarios.”

Except it’s not so transparent. It’s not even trade scenarios. It’s a trade scenario that involves the Pelicans. Nothing has really changed since nine days ago when The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported the Pelicans were “engaged on several fronts to land a center,” including Okafor. Woj reported the Pelicans want to include a large salary (likely Alexis Ajinca), but the Sixers don’t want to take that on, which a source confirmed to me. Those negotiations are stuck in gridlock. The shelving of Okafor was likely meant to flush out the best offers around the league, sources speculate. It’s not uncommon for teams to use leaks to stir interest. The Nuggets and Blazers weren’t pursuing Okafor. The Bulls likely aren’t either. No one is buying what Bryan Colangelo is selling: a one-dimensional center who can’t defend, rebound, or pass on a roster loaded with big men.

And every time he plays his market value shrinks further and further...

To me his absolute ceiling is Nikola Vucevic while beeing a worse rebounder.

His skillset is 10 years too late for the NBA.

I never would have thougt that at this point of the season all these Bigs would still be in Philly but it looks that this is where we're heading to ROS...-_-

The Philadelphia 76ers have talked to no less than 10 teams in their quest to trade center Jahlil Okafor before Thursday’s deadline, according to a report from the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Among the reported teams: the New Orleans Pelicans, Denver Nuggets, Portland Trail Blazers and Chicago Bulls.

Okafor addressed some of the rumors during All-Star Weekend on Friday.

“I really don’t know what’s going to happen,” Okafor told reporters in New Orleans. “Honestly, I checked the city out, because it is in the back of my head. But I’m trying to do my best to enjoy this weekend.”

Okafor is 6-foot-11 and just 21 years old. He is averaging 11.4 points and 4.8 rebounds this season.

He admitted the idea of teaming up with Pelicans star Anthony Davis is appealing.

“That would be a lot of fun,” Okafor said. “Me and Anthony are both from Chicago. He is somebody that I played against in high school, somebody that I consider my friend.

“I would enjoy playing with him if that was the possibility. But like I said, I’m just unsure about what is going to happen.”

http://amicohoops.net/nba-trade-rumors-philadelphia-76ers-jahlil-okafor-new-orleans-pelicans-nba-rumors/

Now the most likely destination for Okafor (New Orleans) is filled by DeMarcus Cousins. Does this now make a trade more unlikely? OR (I haven't heard any speculation on it, but just a possible theory of mine) maybe the Kings now go for a player like Okafor. The Kings entire front-court is decimated. I think Okafor could beast in a situation like the Kings and he's still on his rookie deal....I'm just throwing my crazy theory out there.

Just now, Main Event said:

Now the most likely destination for Okafor (New Orleans) is filled by DeMarcus Cousins. Does this now make a trade more unlikely? OR (I haven't heard any speculation on it, but just a possible theory of mine) maybe the Kings now go for a player like Okafor. The Kings entire front-court is decimated. I think Okafor could beast in a situation like the Kings and he's still on his rookie deal....I'm just throwing my crazy theory out there.

Willy Cauley-Stein

Just now, Main Event said:

And...What else? Matt Barnes, Anthony Tolliver? When Cousins was suspended a few weeks ago, WCS received 24 minutes.

WCS and Hield are the closest things the Kings have to building blocks right now. WCS and Jah occupy the same space, and building blocks are groomed to start, not to be a backup. Unless they opt to move WCS (say, to Boston) and prefer Jah, it could happen. So the argument here now is, would you really prefer Jah over WCS?