NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jahlil Okafor 2016-2017 Season Outlook

The thing is this, Okafor was viewed by NBA scouts, college analysts, draft analysts, sports-writers, and GMs as the consensus #1 overall pick in the draft two years ago until around this time in February 2015 when all those said "experts" changed course to Karl-Anthony Towns possibly overtaking Okafor as the #1 pick. Towns case continued to build as his team continued it's undefeated run and Towns showed his versatility in only playing like 21 minutes per game. Okafor's Duke team went on to win the National title. The rise of Towns was more to his credit than it was a discredit to Okafor.

My point is many experts were very high on Okafor just over two years ago. Philly has obviously DESTROYED his value by attaining 3 Centers drafted in the top 6 in three successive seasons (in fact Noel may have been #1 if not for the torn acl). Playing in that environment is not Okafor's fault. But because Philly holds zero leverage in any trade discussions, and all the GMs know Philly's game, other teams hold the leverage and can draw this out until the end.

That's why: (1) I think if Okafor is moved, it will be at the last minute; and, (2) it only takes 1 team to make a deal, and I doubt those same GMs and scouts who tabbed Okafor as the consensus #1 pick two years ago changed their opinions so drastically (through little fault of Okafor's) that it's not worth giving up a 1st rd pick/ other picks/ young-cheap trade pieces for a Center who could potentially average 20/8 or perhaps better. I don't care about his supposed lack of defense or the way the NBA has changed to small-ball. Players with the potential to average 20/8 or better do not grow on trees. He's only 21 years old. A previous poster mentioned how funny it would be if Sacramento traded the likely mid 1st rd pick they receive in the Cousins deal to get Okafor. Looking at the Kings roster and the lack of young talent w/ real upside they have on that roster, I think the Kings would be fools to not give it a shot with that mid 1st rd pick.  Bulls were in the running before. Or how about the Dallas Mavs? Or Phoenix Suns if they trade Chandler elsewhere? Miami Heat? Even the Blazers since they have 3 1st rd picks? Or to a lesser degree, the Pacers, Bucks, or Wolves? Mind you, "every" team doesn't have to be dedicated to play with a stretch 4 just because it's the current fad in the league, especially if you can't beat the teams that do it best at their own game. A Twin Towers approach can be utilized, somewhere.

Edited by Main Event
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, TankWiggins said:

Definitely. Surely they will be doing what they can to inflate his non-existent value before the off-season where they attempt to move him again.

There is nothing to inflate. Unless he magically increases his foot speed by about 25 points and block potential by about 30 on NBA 2k, he is who he is. 

Don't drop worthwhile players for Okafor. While he will get his run for the next week, his not a safe play going into fantasy playoffs. 

1 hour ago, tremixt said:

There is nothing to inflate. Unless he magically increases his foot speed by about 25 points and block potential by about 30 on NBA 2k, he is who he is. 

Don't drop worthwhile players for Okafor. While he will get his run for the next week, his not a safe play going into fantasy playoffs. 

I see the same issues with Jahlil that you do and wonder about him having a role in a modern team. I do, however think he could play well-ish for 10-20 games if they feature him (and rest Embiid...t-t-t-ta-tank), and that doing so would be smart. But yeah, I wouldn't be recommending him in season-long leagues. In daily leagues he's someone to keep an eye on though.

5 hours ago, whips02 said:

Good play the next 4 games with Noel gone and Embid out?

Okafor has had a chance to prove himself in games when Nerlens and Embiid haven't played, and he's done nothing to show that he's a good player. He'll have occasional outbursts here and there, but he's not consistent at all. 

4 hours ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

The problem is he will have opportunity... But he doesn't do a lot as a big. 

Holmes almost seems more appealing cause he plays with passion and his committed to both ends of the court.

Okafor seems to just want to score... Doesn't fit with the rest of their team

Which is why when Okafor plays his +/- is always negative and usually the 76ers play worse when he's on the floor. Just because he gets some boards and a few blocks doesn't mean he's  a good defender. So many ppl that don't know basketball think boards, steals and blocks means you are a great defender, but isn't always true. Okafor is bust for his draft position. Obviously, he can still be useful in the right situation and hopefully can learn, but he's not the future for anyone.

Edited by VelvetMerkin
On 2/28/2017 at 9:49 PM, VelvetMerkin said:

Which is why when Okafor plays his +/- is always negative and usually the 76ers play worse when he's on the floor. Just because he gets some boards and a few blocks doesn't mean he's  a good defender. So many ppl that don't know basketball think boards, steals and blocks means you are a great defender, but isn't always true. Okafor is bust for his draft position. Obviously, he can still be useful in the right situation and hopefully can learn, but he's not the future for anyone.

Calling him a bust seems pretty harsh. Besides Porz, Myles, and Booker who would you say he got drafted over? I like alot of the other guys in that class but almost everyone would have a negative +/- on the worst team when the best scorer/defender (Embiid) isn't on the floor. He averaged 18 shooting 50%+ last year, that's a pretty good start. Defense could come around. I don't think Philly would've traded Noel for next to nothing if his defense was that bad and is that important 

8 hours ago, 2016FantasyChamp said:

I don't think Philly would've traded Noel for next to nothing if his defense was that bad and is that important 

They traded Noel because no one was willing to pay even a late first rounder for him and Noel is headed for a near max contract they weren't willing to pay for a big of the bench.

Okafor is a dinosaur in this league. Big men with his skillset aren't wanted as starters and i think he could only function with an highly defensive oriented stretch 4 besides him (and even then his defense would cause issues).