NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2016 Season Outlook

dabeesta17

Saw this interesting (but speculative) article that posits the Broncos may sign Fitzpatrick after extending or trading Von Miller. Whichever direction they go with Miller, it will free up enough cap space to offer Fitzpatrick somewhere close to the $12 million one-year deal he seeks. Let's face it: Sanchez is garbage, Lynch isn't even close to being ready to play, and who the hell is Trevor Siemien (sp?). Fitzpatrick is not great, but can at least manage drives to allow the defense to control games.

It still makes the most sense for the Jets to sign him. But either the Jets are bluffing about being ok with Geno Smith at QB to get Fitzpatrick to come down on his demands, or are really fine with Smith at QB for at least 2016. Something has to give in the next couple weeks one way or another.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitzy would instantly give a bump up to Thomas and Sanders values if he lands there. Sanchez is "ok" I guess, but Fitzy would make sense there and is certainly an upgrade. But still, his best situation is returning to the Jets. I hope the both sides can reach an agreement soon.

1 hour ago, dabeesta17 said:

Saw this interesting (but speculative) article that posits the Broncos may sign Fitzpatrick after extending or trading Von Miller. Whichever direction they go with Miller, it will free up enough cap space to offer Fitzpatrick somewhere close to the $12 million one-year deal he seeks. Let's face it: Sanchez is garbage, Lynch isn't even close to being ready to play, and who the hell is Trevor Siemien (sp?). Fitzpatrick is not great, but can at least manage drives to allow the defense to control games.

It still makes the most sense for the Jets to sign him. But either the Jets are bluffing about being ok with Geno Smith at QB to get Fitzpatrick to come down on his demands, or are really fine with Smith at QB for at least 2016. Something has to give in the next couple weeks one way or another.

That's not gonna happen.  Elways stated multiple times that they're not looking for another "bridge" qb.   And with Vonn looking at close to 80M guaranteed, there's no $$ to rent older journeymen.  

Siemian has looked very good in camp so far....FWIW

If they don't reach a deal with Von, and he really sits out the season, then I think it makes sense.  I'm a little muddy on the rules, but I'm pretty sure that if they trade Von, the team receiving him would still have to work out a long-term deal by July 15 (i.e. tomorrow), which is pretty unlikely at this point.  So in the scenario where there's no deal and Von makes it clear that he won't sign the franchise tag, the Broncos will have that money sitting around, why not spend $12 million to give the team a better shot this year?  Fitz is almost certainly an upgrade on Siemian or Sanchez.

I think Elway's past comments take place in a different reality, where they spent most of their cap space retaining Von and it didn't make sense to move mountains in order to buy a bridge QB for one year. 

8 hours ago, eg4190 said:

If they don't reach a deal with Von, and he really sits out the season, then I think it makes sense.  I'm a little muddy on the rules, but I'm pretty sure that if they trade Von, the team receiving him would still have to work out a long-term deal by July 15 (i.e. tomorrow), which is pretty unlikely at this point.  So in the scenario where there's no deal and Von makes it clear that he won't sign the franchise tag, the Broncos will have that money sitting around, why not spend $12 million to give the team a better shot this year?  Fitz is almost certainly an upgrade on Siemian or Sanchez.

I think Elway's past comments take place in a different reality, where they spent most of their cap space retaining Von and it didn't make sense to move mountains in order to buy a bridge QB for one year. 

Right now the guarantees have eclipsed 70M to Von.   An offer is pending, unless somebody does something stupid.   IF they don't sign Von then the money would be there, but I doubt they make a move for FItz regardless.   They'll re sign Sanders, probably re sign Darian Stewart, and bump Chris Harris.   He's underpaid and has been a trooper. 

7 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Fitz would definitely help Sanders and DT,  big time.  

Help them?  Help them how?

According to all their supporters, they're going to continue to hum along at borderline WR1 productivity, even with Sanchez or Lynch or Tebow or whoever.  How could they get any better than that?

17 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

According to all their supporters, they're going to continue to hum along at borderline WR1 productivity, even with Sanchez or Lynch or Tebow or whoever.  How could they get any better than that?

Fitz>Sanchex is all we need to know 

1 minute ago, Savatage79 said:

Fitz>Sanchex is all we need to know 

For fantasy, of course. 

For Den's longterm success- not so much.  Renting him for one season for over 12M when we drafted a qb in the first round isn't awesome- imo

Oh I agree,  Fitz nor Sanchez is the longterm answer.  I'm just going by strictly fantasy purposes and what we've seen from receivers that Fitz and Sanchez have worked with.  Fitz made Marshall and Decker pretty damn awesome last year,  and in general Fitz gets it done.... And Sanchez has never really made a dent.  I can't remember specifically but there were a few games Sanchez was decent in Philly,  but overall the guy is as underwhelming and inconsistent as it gets,  at least imho 

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Right now the guarantees have eclipsed 70M to Von.   An offer is pending, unless somebody does something stupid.   IF they don't sign Von then the money would be there, but I doubt they make a move for FItz regardless.   They'll re sign Sanders, probably re sign Darian Stewart, and bump Chris Harris.   He's underpaid and has been a trooper. 

What's Vonn looking for if the guarantees have passed 70m?  Wouldn't that be the highest dl contract ever? 

Elway should make the best and final offer and in the interim be on the phone to Dallas about a deal.   If Vonn doesn't take it and you truly believe he'll sit out the season you move him and use the money for Fitz. 

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

What's Vonn looking for if the guarantees have passed 70m?  Wouldn't that be the highest dl contract ever? 

Elway should make the best and final offer and in the interim be on the phone to Dallas about a deal.   If Vonn doesn't take it and you truly believe he'll sit out the season you move him and use the money for Fitz. 

That was discussed in depth locally. apparently if Den were to trade Von without a signed contract-  the other team could only sign him under the "unrestricted franchise" tag.   Then hes UFA next season.  Not ideal

It's the highest D contract in history(guaranteed) and the highest contract in Den.  history.   crazy money man

Edited by Impreza178

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

That was discussed in depth locally. apparently if Den were to trade Von without a signed contract-  the other team could only sign him under the "unrestricted franchise" tag.   Then hes UFA next season.  Not ideal

It's the highest D contract in history and the highest contract in Den.  history.   crazy money man

Hell, given that Dallas has pushed all in trying to get Romo a ring and that they have nothing at DE they should do it anyway and deal with the unrestricted franchise tag issue after the season.

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

It's the highest D contract in history(guaranteed) and the highest contract in Den.  history.   crazy money man

The best player on one of the best defenses of all time deserves every cent. Carried them to the title over the reigning MVP (Cam) and GOAT QB (Brady). 

DT is minimal compared to Von, so their contracts should reflect that. 

2 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

2 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Yeah I've seen a lot of that in these threads, especially after I said I'm avoiding all Broncos players period. Still it seems there's more people in here that think Fitzpatrick has a better chance of ending up with the Broncos than the Jets? It just seems to me if the Jets don't resign him, team morale will tank and the locker room would likely turn on the coach and front office. Geno=Sanchez.

29 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The best player on one of the best defenses of all time deserves every cent. Carried them to the title over the reigning MVP (Cam) and GOAT QB (Brady). 

DT is minimal compared to Von, so their contracts should reflect that. 

I don't disagree, it needs to get done at almost any price.   It's about structure now

Edited by Impreza178

Yeah I've seen a lot of that in these threads, especially after I said I'm avoiding all Broncos players period. Still it seems there's more people in here that think Fitzpatrick has a better chance of ending up with the Broncos than the Jets? It just seems to me if the Jets don't resign him, team morale will tank and the locker room would likely turn on the coach and front office. Geno=Sanchez.

Geno has averaged 24 fantasy points per game in his last 2 starts with the Jets--that is, without Holmes and Kerley as his top 2 WRs.

Does Wilkerson Contract Mean A Deal Is Coming For Fitzpatrick?

Interesting read here. I know Axe and a few Jets fans out there are (at least) ok with Geno at QB. But I think the two most important people in this conversation are Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, who have both made pretty clear who they prefer at QB.

On July 15, 2016 at 0:00 AM, Axe Elf said:

Geno has averaged 24 fantasy points per game in his last 2 starts with the Jets--that is, without Holmes and Kerley as his top 2 WRs.

And before those starts he was horrendous.  You're bashing Kerley, but weren't you driving the Kerley bandwagon during Geno's rookie year?

23 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

And before those starts he was horrendous.  You're bashing Kerley, but weren't you driving the Kerley bandwagon during Geno's rookie year?

For like the third time now--in this preseason alone--let me review...

Although Santonio Holmes was the "name" WR in New York that season, Axe Elf predicted that Jeremy Kerley would lead all Jets' WRs based on his observation that Kerley was most like Geno's favorite WR at West Virginia (Stedman Bailey)--in size, speed, etc.

Kerley did in fact lead all Jet's WRs that year in targets, receptions, yards and TDs.  Score one for the Elf.

However, it's not like Kerley was (or is) a top-level WR like Brandon Marshall--I think we can both agree on that.

Interesting read here. I know Axe and a few Jets fans out there are (at least) ok with Geno at QB. But I think the two most important people in this conversation are Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, who have both made pretty clear who they prefer at QB.

What's the problem?   Axe has already guaranteed Qb1 numbers for Geno based on 2 WHOLE STARTS last year.  

EXTRAPOLATE PEOPLE!!!

2 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

Marshall likes Geno, Geno is part of the reason he was ok with landing on the Jets. 

The issue is, how much of a paycut did Wilkerson take in 2016 from the scheduled 15M or so he was going to make?

The Jets were only 3 or 4M under the cap, so even if wilk took 10M it might not be enough to get Fitz. 

Unless of course they start cutting players like Geno and underperforming RT Giacomini.