NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2016 Season Outlook

Brandon Marshall hasn't heard from Ryan Fitzpatrick lately.
July 18, 2016 at 2:08 PM, updated July 18, 2016 at 2:22 PM

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/jets_brandon_marshall_worried_about_ryan_fitzpatri.html#incart_river_index

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall is worried that he hasn't heard back from his pal Ryan Fitzpatrick, the team's starting quarterback last year. 

The Jets report to training camp next Wednesday, and Fitzpatrick remains an unsigned free agent. 

The Jets have offered Fitzpatrick a three-year, $24 million contract that includes $15 million in guaranteed pay and $12 million in Year 1 earnings. 

Marshall said Saturday, on actor Michael Rapaport's podcast, that he's totally in the dark about the Fitzpatrick situation right now.

"I don't know what's going on, bro," Marshall said. "To be honest, me and Fitz talk every day, like all the time. But I texted this dude the last two weeks, three times, and there's no response. So the only thing that he can tell me right now to make it right is: 'Hey, bro, I was out of the country,' or 'I was on vacation.'

"Because it's not like him, so it's scaring me right now. It's scaring me that my guy hasn't texted me back, when we FaceTime, we text, we call all the time. So we'll see what happens, but it's scary right now." 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Brandon Marshall hasn't heard from Ryan Fitzpatrick lately.
July 18, 2016 at 2:08 PM, updated July 18, 2016 at 2:22 PM

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/jets_brandon_marshall_worried_about_ryan_fitzpatri.html#incart_river_index

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall is worried that he hasn't heard back from his pal Ryan Fitzpatrick, the team's starting quarterback last year. 

The Jets report to training camp next Wednesday, and Fitzpatrick remains an unsigned free agent. 

The Jets have offered Fitzpatrick a three-year, $24 million contract that includes $15 million in guaranteed pay and $12 million in Year 1 earnings. 

Marshall said Saturday, on actor Michael Rapaport's podcast, that he's totally in the dark about the Fitzpatrick situation right now.

"I don't know what's going on, bro," Marshall said. "To be honest, me and Fitz talk every day, like all the time. But I texted this dude the last two weeks, three times, and there's no response. So the only thing that he can tell me right now to make it right is: 'Hey, bro, I was out of the country,' or 'I was on vacation.'

"Because it's not like him, so it's scaring me right now. It's scaring me that my guy hasn't texted me back, when we FaceTime, we text, we call all the time. So we'll see what happens, but it's scary right now." 

Bad cell service

ISIS-spokesman-beard-640-320.jpg

It's possible that Fitzpatrick is simply embarrassed for being such a big greedy baby who is only now realizing how lucky he is. Seriously. That's why he's not answering texts. I blame it on the Harvard education. He went to Harvard you know. The university with the smart people. And it's affecting his ability to think and to be grounded. Someone tell Marshall not to worry.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets' contract standoff with free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick could go "well into [training] camp."
It'd be best for all parties involved to get this taken care of as quickly as possible, but neither side appears interested in backing off its stance. Fitzpatrick wants starter money, while the Jets seem to be wanting to pay him as a high-end backup. It'll continue to be a distraction for however long it lasts. Jul 18 - 7:40 PM

The Jets should have settled this one way or the other months ago...either pay Fitz starter money, or tell him adios.  I'm guessing they are so scared of Geno being starter that they will cave before training camp, but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

I'm guessing they are so scared of Geno being starter

If they were that concerned they would have picked up a different FA or signed Fitz by now.  Derp Derp.

What they're showing you is what the rest of the NFL knows...Fitzpatrick is a borderline replacement level talent that would be a backup on most teams.

24 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

If they were that concerned they would have picked up a different FA or signed Fitz by now.  Derp Derp.

What they're showing you is what the rest of the NFL knows...Fitzpatrick is a borderline replacement level talent that would be a backup on most teams.

Screw it, ride with Geno.

2 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

You can't ride geno,  you just can't.  Your season is over before it begins if you do

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

I'm guessing they are so scared of Geno being starter that they will cave before training camp, but we'll see. 

Geno has been pretty good in his last two outings for the Jets.  He's going to be the surprise of the season at QB.

8 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Screw it, ride with Geno.

7 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

You can't ride geno,  you just can't.  Your season is over before it begins if you do

5 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Geno has been pretty good in his last two outings for the Jets.  He's going to be the surprise of the season at QB.

Last year, the Jets players---and some coaches---gathered a large pool of money to pay IK Enemkpali to punch Geno in the jaw. These people have the money to do it again, but the Jets simply can't afford to lose more defensive players to keep Geno off the field.

3 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Last year, the Jets players---and some coaches---gathered a large pool of money to pay IK Enemkpali to punch Geno in the jaw. These people have the money to do it again, but the Jets simply can't afford to lose more defensive players to keep Geno off the field.

Really? Do you have inside info?

Geno has anxiety issues that should be looked into because after all, he beat out Fitz as the starter before the jaw incident last season.

#IbelieveinGeno  

41 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Geno has anxiety issues that should be looked into because after all, he beat out Fitz as the starter before the jaw incident last season.

#IbelieveinGeno  

That's actually not accurate...Geno was handed the job; there was never a competition with Fitz -- much to the consternation of fans like me who had seen them both play. 

I dont think Geno would be a disaster, but he has always been worse than Fitz. 

6 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Last year, the Jets players---and some coaches---gathered a large pool of money to pay IK Enemkpali to punch Geno in the jaw.

2 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Yeah, I'd never heard that either.  And that wouldn't be worth disciplinary action from the league, while some underinflated balls is worth four games?

21 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Bad cell service

ISIS-spokesman-beard-640-320.jpg

In a thread that shows the missing Fitz as a ISIS jihadist, followed by my comment,

"some coaches---gathered a large pool of money to pay IK Enemkpali to punch Geno in the jaw. These people have the money to do it again, but the Jets simply can't afford to lose more defensive players to keep Geno off the field,"

these are not actual questions, right?

2 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

13 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, I'd never heard that either.  And that wouldn't be worth disciplinary action from the league, while some underinflated balls is worth four games?

You're building on the satire, right? Please say it's so...

Ugh, August is taking FOREVER.

15 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Derp Derp.

Seems about right. Well put. 

19 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

You're building on the satire, right? Please say it's so...

Glad you cleared that up--it certainly wasn't clear that YOU were building on the satire.

I prefer your alter ego Axe Alf --- he's way funnier --- you should log out and log back in as him. He gets me.

Now back to business. And this does NOT bode well:

FLORHAM PARK, NJ (CBSNewYork) — First Ryan Fitzpatrick stopped responding to Brandon Marshall’s texts. Now his home is up for rent.

43 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

I prefer your alter ego Axe Alf --- he's way funnier --- you should log out and log back in as him. He gets me.

Now back to business. And this does NOT bode well:

FLORHAM PARK, NJ (CBSNewYork) — First Ryan Fitzpatrick stopped responding to Brandon Marshall’s texts. Now his home is up for rent.

This will sound a bit far fetched , but maybe he is renting it out for the PGA championship which is happening in late July in Springfield NJ.   He isnt far from there.  Homes in the area are getting rented for $500-$1000 a night. 

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Springfield-Township--NJ

Edited by Iron-cock
2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

This will sound a bit crazy, but maybe he is renting it out for the PGA championship which is happening in late July in Springfield NJ.   He isnt far from there.  Homes in the area are getting rented for $500-$1000 a night. 

Yeah, except Fitzpatrick wants $3000 a night for each of his three floors, plus a bathroom bonus and an option for the back deck.

11 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

This will sound a bit far fetched , but maybe he is renting it out for the PGA championship which is happening in late July in Springfield NJ.   He isnt far from there.  Homes in the area are getting rented for $500-$1000 a night. 

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Springfield-Township--NJ

Entirely possible. Way to think out of the box. Would mean that Fitz is hurting for cash and worried.

OR----and this is my preferable scenario-----Fitz is purchasing an even bigger house because he's ready to sign that fair, albeit late, offer.

Rapoport reported Friday that in March the Jets offered Fitzpatrick a three-year deal that includes $12 million in the first season, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

Entirely possible. Way to think out of the box. Would mean that Fitz is hurting for cash and worried.

He's a math major from Harvard with five kids.  He'd probably rent his place out to some VIP for a few weeks if there was 100k in it for him. 

7 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

He's a math major from Harvard with five kids.  He'd probably rent his place out to some VIP for a few weeks if there was 100k in it for him. 

It makes sense to us, yes, but isn't being a math major from Harvard the problem in the first place? I mean, Fitz is like so smart he's stupid, far too stupid to realize how great he had it and how solid that contract was for him, and how many times he'd have to rent his house out to earn $12 million space bucks.

21 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

There's no reason this couldn't happen.  His WR group has to be in the top 10 in the league.  Add in the fact that he has 2 very capable receiving RBs, and it would take an epic fail to not at least carve out a league average status.