NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2016-2017 season outlook

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently drafted him in a dynasty league and ran a projection for him. I had him at;

13.6 - 7.3 - 6.2 - 1.5 - 1.1 on 46.6% and 76.1%, 0.6 3s and 3.9 TO

I think he will be more focused on being a distributor then a huge scorer this season, fg% largely dependant on how much he chooses to move outside his comfort zone and shoot the jumper. If he does then I can see his % dropping to low 40s, though long term this is good for his development.  If he sticks to his bread and butter in just getting to the rack then it should remain somewhat respectable though that has implications long term for him in not expanding his game to what he really needs to in order to reach his full potential.  Not a problem for redraft leagues though!

Edited by bonezi89

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

I have the first pick in my keeper league, a no brainer 1st overall pick right?? Thoughts on Simmons over Ingram and what he can become??.. 

No Brainer unless it really works against your roster strategy. You can't argue who will be better than the other in their career right now but Simmons looks like he is playing big minutes while Ingram may not get the minutes till later this year. Also, a rebounding PG in a F body, sounds like Giannis with transcendent passing skills.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

so better than lbj and rw ... gottcha

lets see something before we crown him king klick (LAL ingram homer)

I don't that that guy saying he's a trip dub threat is implying as good as lbj n rw considering his triple doubles would be without 3's, so so %'s, high to's n lowish scoring. 

54 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

Rondo was/is a regular triple double threat as well.

Nobody's saying he's better than WB and Bron? Why you trying to be a ****?

4 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

I didn't realize I'd have to give English lessons...

"Threat" doesn't imply that he's going to be averaging a triple double.  It means he could get one any game though due to his skill set being aligned with those stats.

Did someone take a pee in your corn flakes today?  Other than trolling you've brought absolutely nothing to this discussion.  Before hammering your keyboard take a deep breath, think how a 12 year old might not respond and then type.  Perhaps provide us with your projections if these are so bad.  This is how grown ups discuss things like this instead of issuing empty blanket statements ala Trump.

Edited by Gorgeous George
11 hours ago, Gorgeous George said:

I think he's going to be a regular triple double threat.

Agree with this, as he can provide the pts, rebs, and asts on any given day.

How many jump shots do you think he will take this year? I am not sure the 76er's can't stand losing any longer and his shot is no where near ready. If they give him the green light to shoot I can see his FG% plummeting to Mudiaye levels (35%). Hard to account for in many formats.

I think a critical but overlooked factor is steals and blocks he averaged 2 Stls and 0.8 blocks a game. I am not convinced that he can do that in the NBA but steals is a stat that I view as translatable to the pros. In the summer league, he was on and off on the steals. Seems to correlate with how tuned in he was to the game.

He went to the FT line 4th most in the entire NCAA last year. 9 FTA per game... and he shoots 67%. On such high volume thats a killer.

The downside potential in his efficiency stats outweigh the upside in his popcorn for me.

3 hours ago, Gorgeous George said:

I didn't realize I'd have to give English lessons...

"Threat" doesn't imply that he's going to be averaging a triple double.  It means he could get one any game though due to his skill set being aligned with those stats.

Did someone take a pee in your corn flakes today?  Other than trolling you've brought absolutely nothing to this discussion.  Before hammering your keyboard take a deep breath, think how a 12 year old might not respond and then type.  Perhaps provide us with your projections if these are so bad.  This is how grown ups discuss things like this instead of issuing empty blanket statements ala Trump.

ha how is it trolling when someone disagrees with a dumb statement like simmons is a regular triple double threat?

i just told you how many times the best nba players get a trip/dub and i guess with your logic anybody who can pass and reb is a triple double threat

ill be shocked if simmons gets 1.5 triple doubles next year

just some fun facts... kemba walker broke double digit assists two times last year as a pg and KD broke double digit assist two times as well

so a rookie on one of the worst teams who avged under 5 assists in college is a regular triple double threat? ha

Edited by colepenhagen
34 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

ha how is it trolling when someone disagrees with a dumb statement like simmons is a regular triple double threat?

i just told you how many times the best nba players get a trip/dub and i guess with your logic anybody who can pass and reb is a triple double threat

ill be shocked if simmons gets 1.5 triple doubles next year

just some fun facts... kemba walker broke double digit assists two times last year as a pg and KD broke double digit assist two times as well

so a rookie on one of the worst teams who avged under 5 assists in college is a regular triple double threat? ha

I get it.  You love Ingram and can't see too much, what with your tongue buried up his butt and all.  

You seem to have a terrible reading comprehension problem.  Do you understand what the word threat even means?  I haven't at any point said he will average a trip/doub all I've said is he has the skill set to get them.  Is that so hard for you to concede?

I also am having a hard time finding your projections for him in this thread.  Where have you put them?   Your contributions to this thread are negligible at best.  Please throw numbers out.

Also would you consider kemba to be a pass first player?  I sure as hell wouldn't.  What a poor example to cite as a fun fact that is suppose to substantiate whatever biased position you have.  I can do that too.  Fun fact - Simmons will be a hall of famer because because Eric Montross wasn't very good at basketball.

Edited by Gorgeous George
13 hours ago, Gorgeous George said:

I think he's going to be a regular triple double threat.

yep terrible reading comprehension

and my view of ingram has nothing to do with simmons

my example of kemba is showing that a nba pg who avged more assists than simmons did in college only had the possibility for a triple double two times

REGULAR TRIPLE DOUBLE THREAT... cmon on man

There need

9 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

saying someone is a regular triple dub threat is kinda ridiculous with what we have seen from two of the best players in the league the past decade (rw and lbj)

To be honest we have to set the facts straight first of all. While RWB is the leader in trip dubs, other players after that drop off in the number of TB significantly. Especially your boy LBJ

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/double-doubles/sort/tripleDouble

LBJ had 3 trip dubs last year with 2 & 1 TB years before. If LBJ is considered a regular triple double threat and let's say his average over the last 3 years, 2 TB a year can be considered a "threat"

The lowest projection we have so far in this thread is:

BS

13 points 7 rebounds 5.5 assists

LBJ

25.3   7.4     6.8  

LBJ is obviously the superstar outside of TB stats but isolating them (especially you only need 10 pts for TB), they become a lot closer. So if our guess about his stats are right, it's not ridiculous to say Simmons is a TB threat as according to your logic combined with people's projections.

You also have to keep in mind you don't have to be "the best" players in the league to hit TB's.  Scrubs like Stephenson, Evan Turner, even Raymond Felton hit TB's past 3 years. You just need the role of a play maker, a rebounder, and enough usage to score more than 10 to be a regular TB threat.

Edited by rob0403
9 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

yep terrible reading comprehension

REGULAR TRIPLE DOUBLE THREAT...

I'll say it slowly and will repeat the operative word in the sentence.  Hopefully by doing this the point will slowly ebb it's way through the dense matter within your skull.  

Threat...   Threat....  THREAT....