NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2016-2017 season outlook

On 7/26/2017 at 0:01 AM, sya said:

I think SImmons will be a better player in reality than in fantasy. Unless he improves his FT%, FG% and TO, this guy might be hurting you in those 3 cats as much as he is helping you in assists and rebounds. In reality though, I think he will be a good player. has the size and speed. Hopefully he can learn how to shoot because that will be the key to his fantasy success

No one has seen him play in like a year. In the meantime he's been working on his shot. He might have improved it. This isn't 2016 Ben Simmons, he's had a year to improve in various ways.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Spyplane said:

No one has seen him play in like a year. In the meantime he's been working on his shot. He might have improved it. This isn't 2016 Ben Simmons, he's had a year to improve in various ways.

let's see, i am rooting for the guy too because i want 76ers to finally be relevant, but I would be cautiously optimistic. So many people say they worked on FT shooting 3 point shooting, but didn't materialize in real games. It works for some, but not for all. I watched him summer league last year was impressed, but felt he was also looking to pass too much. and afraid to shoot. One key to his fantasy value too will be steals and blocks, He is so athletic he should be able to get good steals and blocks easily, but people also said the same thing about Andrew Wiggins. So it really depends

9 hours ago, sya said:

let's see, i am rooting for the guy too because i want 76ers to finally be relevant, but I would be cautiously optimistic. So many people say they worked on FT shooting 3 point shooting, but didn't materialize in real games. It works for some, but not for all. I watched him summer league last year was impressed, but felt he was also looking to pass too much. and afraid to shoot. One key to his fantasy value too will be steals and blocks, He is so athletic he should be able to get good steals and blocks easily, but people also said the same thing about Andrew Wiggins. So it really depends

He's a lot more talented than most guys who don't improve much with practice.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, danster167 said:

hey guys, posting all the way from australia here so hoping ben simmons can stay healthy this season. what do people think his stats would look like?

15/8/6?

Aye another fellow Aussie.. Don't know how many of us their are on here ... Love Simmons and have him for rookie of the year but I doubt that high of numbers.. Maybe more like 12/6.5/4

I feel like Simmons is sort of being slept on. I understand people being concerned about not seeing him play for a year. And that is game isn't without some concerns from a fantasy perspective. But, let's not forget the vision, athleticism, and skill he possesses. His game isn't perfect, but there are some really awesome parts to it if you build accordingly. 

I think talk of the Sixers having skilled young players is a little overblown to me. Okafor demonstrated very good scoring ability his rookie year. 17.5/7 with 1.2 blocks was really promising. They didn't even hesitate to back burner Jahlil for Embiid and this was before Embiid played one minute in the NBA. It was because Embiid demonstrated the ability to score and alter the game on the defensive end, something Jahlil never had.

So apply that to Simmons. Do you think the Sixers are going to let a player like Saric or Covington limit the potential of Simmons? Saric is a very nice glue guy because he plays smart and unselfish basketball. A perfect system guy. Covington is really a 3 and D wing. Simmons is going to get the keys to run that system. If anything I see them staggering Fultz and Simmons so they both get experience running the offense, but Simmons will get first crack because he has the ability to change the game (like Embiid).

Lebron came into the league with a suspect jumper, incredible vision and athleticism. I see a ton of that with Simmons, especially his passes in the summer league. He is or will be a nightly triple double threat. If the Sixers do it right, they can create a player that facilitates and creates mismatches for everyone on that offense. Bigs won't have speed to guard him. Guards will get abused by his physicality. He just needs to figure it out. 

For dynasty, I would not to hesitate and draft Simmons before drafting Embiid because of the massive injury risk surrounding Embiid. That is how high I am on Simmons. This is for 8 cat. For redraft, I think a lot of it has to do with where you draft shakes out in early rounds. I think a F that will help you cat kill assists is really valuable. I would look to see where something like 14-16 points, 7-9 boards and 5-7 assists pencils in for a F and make sure his negatives fit what you are building. 

20 minutes ago, apatas said:

But isn't he on minutes limit? No B2B games? If it is true, this reduces his value significantly, drops 2-3 rounds lower than his potential.

I initially heard B2B limit. Then I heard no limits. It is too early to say, but I think it depends on league settings how far you drop him if he is on a limit.

I don't think his injury is really going to be impacted by use though. It was a bone break so it is either healed or it isn't. I can't imagine the limit is for the entire year or long lasting if it is one. The Sixers had sold the most season tickets of any team earlier in the summer and expect to sell out every home game. If their guys are healthy, I think they expose them to the rigors of the NBA season and subject them to rest at the same level every other team rests their players now a days. I think they take the diapers off the kids and let them ball and try to win some games.

• 3 weeks later...

With training camp opening on Tuesday, Ben Simmons (foot) said he's 100 percent and ready to go.

Advice: He also reiterated that he's not expecting any restrictions. Simmons has been playing full-contact 5-on-5 for a while and 76ers GM Bryan Colangelo said last week that he's been "dominating the gym." His ADP is only going to rise with all of these positive reports coming out of Philly.

On 9/8/2017 at 2:25 PM, thezing1 said:

I feel like Simmons is sort of being slept on. I understand people being concerned about not seeing him play for a year. And that is game isn't without some concerns from a fantasy perspective. But, let's not forget the vision, athleticism, and skill he possesses. His game isn't perfect, but there are some really awesome parts to it if you build accordingly. 

I think talk of the Sixers having skilled young players is a little overblown to me. Okafor demonstrated very good scoring ability his rookie year. 17.5/7 with 1.2 blocks was really promising. They didn't even hesitate to back burner Jahlil for Embiid and this was before Embiid played one minute in the NBA. It was because Embiid demonstrated the ability to score and alter the game on the defensive end, something Jahlil never had.

So apply that to Simmons. Do you think the Sixers are going to let a player like Saric or Covington limit the potential of Simmons? Saric is a very nice glue guy because he plays smart and unselfish basketball. A perfect system guy. Covington is really a 3 and D wing. Simmons is going to get the keys to run that system. If anything I see them staggering Fultz and Simmons so they both get experience running the offense, but Simmons will get first crack because he has the ability to change the game (like Embiid).

Lebron came into the league with a suspect jumper, incredible vision and athleticism. I see a ton of that with Simmons, especially his passes in the summer league. He is or will be a nightly triple double threat. If the Sixers do it right, they can create a player that facilitates and creates mismatches for everyone on that offense. Bigs won't have speed to guard him. Guards will get abused by his physicality. He just needs to figure it out. 

For dynasty, I would not to hesitate and draft Simmons before drafting Embiid because of the massive injury risk surrounding Embiid. That is how high I am on Simmons. This is for 8 cat. For redraft, I think a lot of it has to do with where you draft shakes out in early rounds. I think a F that will help you cat kill assists is really valuable. I would look to see where something like 14-16 points, 7-9 boards and 5-7 assists pencils in for a F and make sure his negatives fit what you are building. 

How can you be so sure the offense will run through Simmons this year and not Embiid or even Fultz? They're all franchise type picks, no? 

24 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

How can you be so sure the offense will run through Simmons this year and not Embiid or even Fultz? They're all franchise type picks, no? 

Isn't it assumed that the way 2 rookies are integrated with the Sixers is speculation? I expressed my opinion. It is kind of up to you to see if you agree with the logic or not. And if you don't agree hopefully you will express that everyone can read and learn from other points of view.

I focused on facilitating and running the offense. I don't think Simmons gets a crazy amount of shots and I never said he would. I do think he is the primary facilitator because he creates far more mismatches than Fultz can. All you have to do is look at Lebron to know how much a SF/PF can change the game for a team by the mismatches that body type is able to create. There are very few SF/PF body types that can run systems and create for themselves and others. Greek. Lebron. Prime Odom. Pippen. Prime TMac. Hopefully Simmons.  

7 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Isn't it assumed that the way 2 rookies are integrated with the Sixers is speculation? I expressed my opinion. It is kind of up to you to see if you agree with the logic or not. And if you don't agree hopefully you will express that everyone can read and learn from other points of view.

I focused on facilitating and running the offense. I don't think Simmons gets a crazy amount of shots and I never said he would. I do think he is the primary facilitator because he creates far more mismatches than Fultz can. All you have to do is look at Lebron to know how much a SF/PF can change the game for a team by the mismatches that body type is able to create. There are very few SF/PF body types that can run systems and create for themselves and others. Greek. Lebron. Prime Odom. Pippen. Prime TMac. Hopefully Simmons.  

I don't follow the Sixers or Simmons all that closely, so that's why I was asking. I respect your point of view and always try to look at both sides of an issue. 

From my POV, the offense ran through Embiid last year with success so I'm not sure why they would just hand to reigns over to Simmons like that, at least for this year. And from a strictly fantasy perspective (for this season) Simmons' reportedly poor jumper and poor FT% in college would make him the least attractive fantasy option of the three young Sixers for me. If you believe in his talent it is more than fine to draft him. Personally I would not reach for him for the reasons above unless I could get him for cheap and needed him as a late round flier for a punt ft build. If everyone on here told me I was wrong and tried to convince me he is a generational talent then of course I would have to consider changing my mind. I just don't see it for this year though. 

On 9/8/2017 at 2:25 PM, thezing1 said:

Sorry, I missed your projections at the end of your post. Are they for this season or his future ceiling? What do you think his %s will be?

1 minute ago, Purple Hippo said:

I don't follow the Sixers or Simmons all that closely, so that's why I was asking. I respect your point of view and always try to look at both sides of an issue. 

From my POV, the offense ran through Embiid last year with success so I'm not sure why they would just hand to reigns over to Simmons like that, at least for this year. And from a strictly fantasy perspective (for this season) Simmons' reportedly poor jumper and poor FT% in college would make him the least attractive fantasy option of the three young Sixers for me. If you believe in his talent it is more than fine to draft him. Personally I would not reach for him for the reasons above unless I could get him for cheap and needed him as a late round flier for a punt ft build. If everyone on here told me I was wrong and tried to convince me he is a generational talent then of course I would have to consider changing my mind. I just don't see it for this year though. 

I just recently moved from Philly and the Sixers were my team. I was a huge supporter of the rebuild. I am a huge believer in Hinkie and it is sad to see him not have the opportunity to trade the extra bigs and watch the new regime fumble their way through the roster. Here is my take on last year:

Look at last year through the eyes of Hinkie and Brown that were building towards the point of having a fully stocked roster after years of rebuilding that would probably be around 2018 or 2019, and legit, deep playoffs competitive in 2020. Last year the only points of importance was figuring out who the big man cornerstone was on the roster and bringing along Saric. Aside from that they knew exactly what they had on the roster. With Hinkie, every player was tradeable. If he could trade a starter that wasn't part of the future then he did it. But not at the expense of figuring out the cornerstone. Here is the position breakdown:

PG: Literally no one outside of depth in the future. Bonus money for trading any of them. 

SG: Castoffs and reclamation projects. No one outside of depth or trade bait for the future.

SF: Covington was already known as a 3 and D. He is what he is, a role player once they had a mature roster. TLC could be a possible role player, trade bait, or make Covington expendable, probably based on financials in the future when max contracts get involved. 

PF: Saric. Figure him out. Everyone else just roster depth at best. 

C: Embiid, Nerlens, Okafor. Figure it out. They knew Embiid was the only one that could change the game from both ends of the floor. He was the only potential game changer so rightfully he got first crack to prove it. 

So let's look at how it played out. Embiid just got the green light. Like green light everywhere. Sure, bomb away from 3. Sure, shoot it at will. Sure, dump it to Embiid and see what happens. Sure, Embiid can only play 20 minutes so just get experience on steroids with an insane usage because he could only get so many minutes. He got the green light because he was literally the only starter playing that year that was or could be a key piece of the future. System didn't matter because the system was "figure out if Embiid is the cornerstone". Best way to do that in 24 mpg is to let him shoot or pass or whatever in his limited minutes. 

This year is completely different. Embiid proved to be cornerstone worthy from a skill perspective. Embiid is basically going from Westbrook last year to Westbrook this year. A roster bare to a "superteam" with players soaking up usage. Embiid is just surrounded with players that aren't proven stars, but the Sixers will treat them that way with a green light because they need to see what they have. Westbrook just has proven commodities flanking him. 

My logic says throwing a ball to someone and seeing what happens on offense when your team is talent starved and doesn't care about winning isn't really sustainable for the future. It has to evolve. And now they have pieces to evolve it. 

PG: Fultz is the first point guard that projects to have a future on the team and play a big role.

SG: Reddick is the spacer role and is one of the best at it.

SF: Covington is the 3 and D. TLC is the depth.

PF: Simmons and Saric. Simmons is the one that could be a game changer talent. He is going to get the first crack to develop because his upside shifts everything. 

C: Embiid. Holmes. Proven for their roles. Embiid is a beast. Holmes is a great back up. 

If you know you have a game changer in Embiid you need to see if Simmons is a game changer. Those 2 game changers shifts the balance in the East. This is the exact wrong time to stop playing the long game of the rebuild. They are so close. Development first priority and if they win games and make the playoffs that is great. But developing Simmons and Fultz, in that order, to pair with Embiid is the top priority. 

They won games with Embiid being Embiid. Imagine how many crazy mismatches and opportunities can be created with a legit PF running the offense and making all of his role players better. Sounds like Lebron. Or Greek. Now imagine if Lebron had a weapon like Embiid to create some crazy mismatches and nightmares for defenses. Sounds kind of like Golden State when they role Dray and KD at the 4/5. Only Embiid is a legit 5. The upside of that is crazy. That's why they are going to develop Simmons, because he is a game changer and paired with Embiid has the chance to shift the power out East.*

*I don't actually think Embiid can stay healthy. I don't think he will ever play 30+ mpg and 72+ games in a season. 

48 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

Sorry, I missed your projections at the end of your post. Are they for this season or his future ceiling? What do you think his %s will be?

This year. I expect Embiid to miss a lot of games this year and play another season with capped minutes even when he plays.  Simmons  %'s won't be great, but I don't think they will sink you. Probably like 44% and 70-75%. Remember, Brown really worked with Nerlens and took him from a 60% shooter to 70%. And that is a very challenged offensive player. I think Brown spent a ton of time with Simmons last year working on his shot. I mean, what else would you do with your time if you were a redshirt in the NBA and could run or jump because of a foot injury?