NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2016-2017 season outlook

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/24/2016 at 0:45 AM, LuSamSiam said:

This is so silly. You can't be serious.

Why? What has he really shown in college and in the summer league that makes you think he will shoot 50%+ since he wont be getting many easy layups or dunks. His ft% is horrid and his jump shot is broken.

I agree that he will be overdrafted and inefficient like most rookies. ESPN has him 81.3 right now in mocks. Also will depend where Yahoo puts him in their rankings. Many just draft off of the rankings.

Since we are all doing predictions 13/8/4.5 1.0 stls/ 0.5 blks / 3.5TO on 42% FG 65% FT.

I don't expect him to shoot well but some of these FG% though are Rubio territory. Is everyone that bearish on him? He seems to always look to pass hunting for assists. He will shoot a poor percentage but doesn't seem to be the type to take a lot of bad shots just because he is open. I expect his mins/usage to be high which will up some of his counting stats. His efficiency should improve as the year goes on.

Edited by jrb724
13 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Why? What has he really shown in college and in the summer league that makes you think he will shoot 50%+ since he wont be getting many easy layups or dunks. His ft% is horrid and his jump shot is broken.

I don't think anyone is saying he'll shoot over 50% from the field, but he's not going to be Marcus smart or Ricky Rubio bad in fg%.  

and do you really think summer league matters? If so you must have thought KAT was going to bad last year right?

Edited by Ruspin Ruxin

If you are looking at stats only, KAT was so so in Summer league. But when analyzing rookies, you look at beyond the numbers esp in Summer League where they are playing with aspiring pros who want to make names for themselves.

KAT was solid in summer league last year. Did anyone expect him to be this good out of the gate? Hell no. But he showed the complete package- post moves, pull up jumpers, good free throw shooting, and good shot blocking. now he didn't dominate the numbers because he didn't even play major minutes, and his usage rate wasn't that high. what impressed me the most about KAT last summer league was his passing skills. He averaged a few assists only, but he knew how to look for the open man.

As for Simmons, here's my problem with him, esp in ROTO leagues. You already know he will most likely be liability in TO and FT, his FG wwill be average at best, and he will not contribute in 3s. So what we are looking at best case is a 4 cat player (points, rebounds, assists, and steals). If you are in a re-draft league you know who that reminds me of? Rajon Rondo. I am not comparing their game, just the numbers. It is not all bad though, because if he can give you assists from the F position, that can be sweet. But they key to his value I think will be FG and blocks. if his FG will suck and he will only give 0.5 bpg, I will let someone draft him.

I'm in a points league so to me the high TO's,Low FG% & lack of 3's ain't everything for me,I do think some of you are being a lil too harsh on the kid,his frame,IQ & the system he's in will allow him to put up big numbers maybe not huge but bigger then what youes projected him,I'm targeting him in 7th round at the earliest if he ain't there I won't lose sleep lol.

Edited by Peter johns
  • 5 weeks later...

He supposedly packed on 33 lbs since being drafted...teams should really stop making their front court players to bulk up so fast unless they have a bone structure of Lebron or Karl Malone.   Let him be skinny for now and bulk up over time like the Greek Freak.

Edited by Griff X
25 minutes ago, Slickthenick said:

Don't need surgery and it's 6-8 weeks. Knowing the history of Philly and being cautious I expect him to be back at the end of October 

You're saying theyll be cautious but then you say he'll be back in 4 weeks? lol