NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2016-2017 season outlook

this has no effect on a dynasty pick IMO

he should be able to recover fully and quickly.  still unfortunate though.

i wonder if this will cause Philly to pump the brakes a bit on aggressive trades for Nerlens

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Simmons (right foot) is expected to miss about three months due to surgery on his fifth metatarsal.

If he does miss three months, that means he's going to miss 33 games to start his NBA career. The exact diagnosis hasn't been revealed, but most signs point to this being a Jones fracture. Furthermore, the three months off suggest he's not going to get a bone graft to his foot like Kevin Durant did in 2015. It's going to be awfully tough to draft the 2016 No. 1 pick in fantasy. In the meantime, Dario Saric has a clear runway for minutes while Robert Covington, Jerryd Bayless and Jerami Grant also benefit while Simmons is on the shelf.

There were a lot of debate between Ingram and simmons before the draft. Now that he is going to take this long to return, and maybe longer to shake the rust, would everyone still pick him first in dynasty? 

8 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

There were a lot of debate between Ingram and simmons before the draft. Now that he is going to take this long to return, and maybe longer to shake the rust, would everyone still pick him first in dynasty? 

Absolutely yes.

2 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

To be honest I don't think he'll play at all this year, but for dynasty format he still is a solid pick. He'll be a difference maker in the future.

It is possible he won't play at all. That particular injury needs to heal correctly and completely or it could become a very long term problem if it is re injured. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the sixers hold him out.

3 hours ago, jsquints said:

It is possible he won't play at all. That particular injury needs to heal correctly and completely or it could become a very long term problem if it is re injured. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the sixers hold him out.

Exactly my thought. Given he was the first round pick I wouldn't be surprised that they keep him out all season. Might play a few games towards the end but they'll be very caution with him I think

Simmons seems to be taking the Kd surgery and his kept him out all year. The long term outlook is much better for Simmons. He might play some really late season but I wouldn't bet on it. Dynasty yes Simmons is still the 1 overall pick. Ingram and dunn then Saric seems a lock for top 4. for redrafts Saric might be the best rookie and a lock for ROY

43 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

Simmons seems to be taking the Kd surgery and his kept him out all year. The long term outlook is much better for Simmons. He might play some really late season but I wouldn't bet on it. Dynasty yes Simmons is still the 1 overall pick. Ingram and dunn then Saric seems a lock for top 4. for redrafts Saric might be the best rookie and a lock for ROY

KD's surgery didn't keep him out all season. He only missed most of the season, because he re-broke his foot when he sprained his ankle when Mo Speights took a charge on him.

We've seen KD, Jodie Meeks, and Cam Payne all have to have second surgeries on the same injury, so it's very important they don't rush him back, but the three months is a lot longer than both both KD and Payne sat out the first time they had the injury, so they are already being cautious

8 hours ago, absknicks said:

Last I checked the agents work for the player, not the other way around... so ultimately if he doesn't play this season it'll be his decision, not his agent's. 

True but if you think about it, Simmons could just be channelling his decision through his agent so he gets less public scrutiny. Interesting story, I was talking to the girlfriend (who works in a bar) of a CFL player who hurt his meniscus and needed surgery. The team wanted him back ASAP but she was telling me how he was scared to get back onto the field according to the Doctor's timeline because he is scared of further injury.

Also with the 76er's history of handling their first round picks, I wouldn't be surprised if they side a long caution.

I have a first pick in a dynasty team and I am really contemplating Ingram right now. His ceiling is supposed to be higher but he isn't considered a franchise player like Simmons yet. I am looking to win this year too.

2 hours ago, rob0403 said:

True but if you think about it, Simmons could just be channelling his decision through his agent so he gets less public scrutiny. Interesting story, I was talking to the girlfriend (who works in a bar) of a CFL player who hurt his meniscus and needed surgery. The team wanted him back ASAP but she was telling me how he was scared to get back onto the field according to the Doctor's timeline because he is scared of further injury.

Also with the 76er's history of handling their first round picks, I wouldn't be surprised if they side a long caution.

I have a first pick in a dynasty team and I am really contemplating Ingram right now. His ceiling is supposed to be higher but he isn't considered a franchise player like Simmons yet. I am looking to win this year too.

if you are looking to win now...ingram is obviously your choice...but beginning next season, you may regret drafting ingram ahead of simmons. 

the ball will go through simmons in philly...the ball will go through russell in la, not ingram. maybe in a points league ingram may prove to be more valuable.

• 2 weeks later...

this is more for Assistant Coach forum but because people were talking about him in Dynasty/Keeper leagues, 

would you guys keep him in a standard h2h?

(cuz i have this dude rn and im thinking of dropping him for oubre - sleeper in our league)

Hi George,  I see no reason to keep Simmons on your team in a standard 12 team redraft league this year. He is already guaranteed out for 3 months, and we've seen these reports say the entire season. There has to be much more valuable assets out on the wire.