NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2016-2017 season outlook

24 minutes ago, fitzroid said:

Just found out this one published by CBS last October 21st, anything new that is also reliable?

source: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/sixers-no-1-overall-pick-ben-simmons-expected-to-return-in-january/
Ben_Simmons.jpg

Hes since retracted the comments and simmons is out indefinitely.

probably redacted to not put any pressure on him. A great stash if you have the space but its really a crapshoot

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, jim james said:

Hes since retracted the comments and simmons is out indefinitely.

probably redacted to not put any pressure on him. A great stash if you have the space but its really a crapshoot

can you share your source? Thanks for responding

I think he'll come back by mid-January. Be on a minutes limit for a couple weeks. Then max out at 25-30 minutes, and play every game except for back to backs. He's on my IR and it wasn't a hard decision. 

Edited by goldbaby11

Honestly, philly is known for this. The odds of him not playing are greater then him playing. He was projected ROY and theres no way theyre gonna let him be outa the conversation. 

Obviously, you can hold if you have the space. But if you dont, move on.

If he does play, expect a lot of rest days, no back to backs, and a severe minute restriction. 

15 hours ago, Slime said:

Honestly, philly is known for this. The odds of him not playing are greater then him playing. He was projected ROY and theres no way theyre gonna let him be outa the conversation. 

Obviously, you can hold if you have the space. But if you dont, move on.

If he does play, expect a lot of rest days, no back to backs, and a severe minute restriction. 

for the rest and back-to-back sit, I am not sure, people may read into Embiid's case too much, Embiid had 2 major surgeries and sat out for 2 full years, that's special, when I look at Noel's case, he play 75 games (71 starts) in his real rookie year after sitting out for 1 full year, as I remember there were some minute limitations, but definitely not as extreme as Embiid's, he played 30.8 minutes per game that season. Now Simmons, even though his injury is considered to be a little bit serious, but if he can return in late Jan. it would be like 3 months, that looks a lot better than Noel's case, so I am not sure if he would be as restrictive as Noel's rookie season. Again, nobody knows, I owned him in 2 leagues with IR spots and we will see

If he's 100% healthy, he's playing. As much of a re-injury risk exists, what also exists is the lost time to develop their players. Simmons needs reps, Philly wants to expedite this rebuild otherwise they wouldn't have canned Hinkie. The longer you hold Simmons out, thats also one year closer to their limited assets' contracts expiring and wanting to get the hell out of Philly. You only rebuild so long until you turn into whatever the hell the Kings have been the past decade. Or the T-Wolves under the Love era. 

Noel has one year left on his deal after this year, and Embiid 2 after this year. They need to be on the right trajectory, if they're still mulling around as a bottom feeder, do you really think any of them are going to sign that qualifying offer? They need to see what they have in Simmons too in order to start building a roster, if only to see who they should draft come June. They also need to be appealing for other players in free agency to come to Philly, which is necessary at this point. 

54 minutes ago, worldclass said:

If he's 100% healthy, he's playing. As much of a re-injury risk exists, what also exists is the lost time to develop their players. Simmons needs reps, Philly wants to expedite this rebuild otherwise they wouldn't have canned Hinkie. The longer you hold Simmons out, thats also one year closer to their limited assets' contracts expiring and wanting to get the hell out of Philly. You only rebuild so long until you turn into whatever the hell the Kings have been the past decade. Or the T-Wolves under the Love era. 

Noel has one year left on his deal after this year, and Embiid 2 after this year. They need to be on the right trajectory, if they're still mulling around as a bottom feeder, do you really think any of them are going to sign that qualifying offer? They need to see what they have in Simmons too in order to start building a roster, if only to see who they should draft come June. They also need to be appealing for other players in free agency to come to Philly, which is necessary at this point. 

As logical as this is, were talking about the PHILADELPHIA 76ERS!! This is their shtick, theyre known for duing questionable moves and idiotic things. 

Also like you said, he has a broken bone in his foot, the same injury that durant had trouble with a year or 2 ago. The best fix for this injury is to not play basketball. 

I never said he wouldnt play, my point was that all the signs of him NOT playing are there. I personally wouldnt want to bank on this guy if he does play towards the second half of the season or even the end of the season. Id advise if you can, trade him or package him with someone that you can actually use.

3 hours ago, worldclass said:

If simmons is good to go, hes playing. No way they sit him out for a "silly" (not so silly) ROY contention. Games a business and philly has to see what they have.

as long as he is healthy and cleared to play, hes going to play. Really doubt he wants to ride pine if he doesnt have to

58 minutes ago, jim james said:

If simmons is good to go, hes playing. No way they sit him out for a "silly" (not so silly) ROY contention. Games a business and philly has to see what they have.

as long as he is healthy and cleared to play, hes going to play. Really doubt he wants to ride pine if he doesnt have to

Especially if they can trade Noel for a good piece.

9 hours ago, Slime said:

As logical as this is, were talking about the PHILADELPHIA 76ERS!! This is their shtick, theyre known for duing questionable moves and idiotic things. 

Also like you said, he has a broken bone in his foot, the same injury that durant had trouble with a year or 2 ago. The best fix for this injury is to not play basketball. 

I never said he wouldnt play, my point was that all the signs of him NOT playing are there. I personally wouldnt want to bank on this guy if he does play towards the second half of the season or even the end of the season. Id advise if you can, trade him or package him with someone that you can actually use.

I'm curious which questionable moves or idiotic things have they made since Hinkie left? Upper management has changed hands. They've traded for Illyasova, signed Sergio Rodriguez, signed Bayless and Henderson over opting for younger, more unproven players. They're already stacking their team with vets in order to actually build and develop a real NBA team, even if they aren't a good one yet. 

Thus far the team owner and the coach have both said they expect Simmons to play this season. The only opposite speculation has to do with something his agent may or may not have said. However, his agent doesn't really have much leverage, mainly this is a decision that Simmons & the team makes, not the agent. I've never even heard of an agent forcing a team's hands to NOT play his own client. And what if Simmons really wants to play? What if he just fires his agent? Problem solved. 

I think he will be a star in the league.  I am just a little curious why the coach continues to promote the concept that he will just step in and get all of the minutes he can handle.  I am not certain that I would want to take with a young player who has missed significant time with a problematic injury and only played one season at the college level.  I would be more prone to limit his minutes earlier and pick and choose the situations where he plays and learns.  Putting a young player in significant minutes with limited experience might result in his developing poor habits  Either way, it will be fun to watch him begin his NBA career.

Why do you think he'll be a star? What kind of player do you think he turns into? His shot has me seriously worried for at least 3 years. His jumper is totally broken from what I've seen. I see the talent for sure, I am just curious what you see in him that will make him a star. 

Edited by RedRaider27
18 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Why do you think he'll be a star? What kind of player do you think he turns into? His shot has me seriously worried for at least 3 years. His jumper is totally broken from what I've seen. I see the talent for sure, I am just curious what you see in him that will make him a star. 

if he can be like the Alphabet, the 76ers struck gold