Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Simmons 2016-2017 season outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Do you think he really could be like Giannis? I mean I guess I can see it, maybe a mini version though.

 

Not in his first year but longterm i think he can be comparable. In one half of a rookie year I don't think we should expect much more than a Rubio with better rebounding and more turnovers. I really think he has much better vision and can match Giannis rebounding eventually. So he'll have more assists than G and a similar rebounding rate.

 

Coming out of training camp Ben proved to be an absolute outstanding perimeter Defender.  Who knows how that will translate to steals longterm but he is in no way the rim protector that G is because of his length so steals and Blocks will always make G more valuable overall imo. 

 

 

 Ben obviously need to improve his shooting as well as ability to finish with his left. However he has more explosion than G in the open court and a better handle. I think Ben will be able to get to the hoop very easily somewhat like Westbrook. However his lack of a left will hold him back until it doesn't 

Edited by BBOY
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, swaggyp said:

here are my projections once min up to 25.  I got 12 ppg, 7.5 assists, 1., 2 3's,. 5 blocks and 4.5 boards.  bad percentages,  36% fg

 

I think you are way high on the 3's and a little low on FG% and boards. Ben will not take a lot of shots outside of the paint.

 

Ben will draw alot of fouls driving and like you said he will rack up plenty of assists. He will probably be the teams 2nd best rebounder per 36 behind Embiid also regardless of what his stated position is. 

Edited by BBOY
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BBOY said:

 

I think you are way high on the 3's and a little low on FG% and boards. Ben will not take a lot of shots outside of the paint.

 

Ben will draw alot of fouls driving and like you said he will rack up plenty of assists. He will probably be the teams 2nd best rebounder per 36 behind Embiid also regardless of what his stated position is. 

Where do you think he ranks this year and next according to your projections? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BBOY said:

 

Not in his first year but longterm i think he can be comparable. In one half of a rookie year I don't think we should expect much more than a Rubio with better rebounding and more turnovers. I really think he has much better vision and can match Giannis rebounding eventually. So he'll have more assists than G and a similar rebounding rate.

 

Coming out of training camp Ben proved to be an absolute outstanding perimeter Defender.  Who knows how that will translate to steals longterm but he is in no way the rim protector that G is because of his length so steals and Blocks will always make G more valuable overall imo. 

 

 

 Ben obviously need to improve his shooting as well as ability to finish with his left. However he has more explosion than G in the open court and a better handle. I think Ben will be able to get to the hoop very easily somewhat like Westbrook. However his lack of a left will hold him back until it doesn't 

Next year, I'd say he could put up 16/6/6/.3 threes/.5 blocks/1.3 steals on 45% shooting. 67% from the line and 4 TOs. Thoughts?

 

Edit: He is similar to G in some ways but in others not so much. I see where you're coming from on your comparsion though. Having Embiid there will really help him I think.

Edited by RedRaider27
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BBOY said:

 

I think you are way high on the 3's and a little low on FG% and boards. Ben will not take a lot of shots outside of the paint.

 

Ben will draw alot of fouls driving and like you said he will rack up plenty of assists. He will probably be the teams 2nd best rebounder per 36 behind Embiid also regardless of what his stated position is. 

revised projections 11.5 ppg,  7.5 asg,  1.2 steals,.5 3's and. 5 blocks,  40% fg

Link to post
Share on other sites

He might have low fg% but it could be on low enough volume that it won't affect you negatively that much. He played this way in college a lot but we don't know what he'll do in Philly. He might just get the green light to throw up a bunch of bricks cause it's Philly and they'll see no reason for him not to throw up shots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BBOY said:

 

Not in his first year but longterm i think he can be comparable. In one half of a rookie year I don't think we should expect much more than a Rubio with better rebounding and more turnovers. I really think he has much better vision and can match Giannis rebounding eventually. So he'll have more assists than G and a similar rebounding rate.

 

Coming out of training camp Ben proved to be an absolute outstanding perimeter Defender.  Who knows how that will translate to steals longterm but he is in no way the rim protector that G is because of his length so steals and Blocks will always make G more valuable overall imo. 

 

 

 Ben obviously need to improve his shooting as well as ability to finish with his left. However he has more explosion than G in the open court and a better handle. I think Ben will be able to get to the hoop very easily somewhat like Westbrook. However his lack of a left will hold him back until it doesn't 

What a ridiculous exaggeration. Simmons has become well-known for taking every defensive possession off unless he has a chance at collecting a stat at the end of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

What a ridiculous exaggeration. Simmons has become well-known for taking every defensive possession off unless he has a chance at collecting a stat at the end of it.

 

Do you follow Sixers news daily? Are you speaking from your own opinion...? I'm not

Edited by BBOY
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BBOY said:

 

Do you follow Sixers news daily?

Are you going to say you do, and pretend that your internet assurance means Ben Simmons is an "absolute outstanding perimeter defender"? Because I, uh, watch basketball, and he isn't anywhere close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, miasma16 said:

Are you going to say you do, and pretend that your internet assurance means Ben Simmons is an "absolute outstanding perimeter defender"? Because I, uh, watch basketball, and he isn't anywhere close.

 

Yes I do. I've followed Ben Simmons daily from the draft and everything Sixers related everyday.

 

I'm not assuring anything just stating what is reported.

 

What are you doing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Where do you think he ranks this year and next according to your projections? 

 

12.5 

7 assists

7 boards

1 steal

1 block

Good FT rate...below average FT %

43% FG

Negilible 3's.

 

Hard to say about next year of course because of the fluidity of the Sixers roster/draft picks etc going forward. They could wind up with Josh Jackson and Fultz/Lonzo/ or DSJr in 2017.

Edited by BBOY
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BBOY said:

 

12.5 

7 assists

7 boards

1 steal

1 block

Good FT rate...below average FT %

43% FG

Negilible 3's.

 

Hard to say about next year of course because of the fluidity of the Sixers roster/draft picks etc going forward. They could wind up with Josh Jackson and Fultz/Lonzo/ or DSJr in 2017.

 

I could probably see those stats next year, although I'd hope for a higher scoring output. I'm expecting his FT% to be somewhere in the 60's to start. Ben doesn't seem comfortable shooting from the outside from what I've watched, so I'd expect maybe half a three per game or so, if that. I'm hoping he gets a chance to work on his form while he's out though. 

 

Definitely hoping for a combo of that nature in the draft. As a selfish Sixers fan, we just need the Lakers to start sucking a bit more so we can guarantee ourselves two lottery picks. It almost feels like they only tanked just enough last year with Byron Scott to prevent us from getting their draft pick. :) 

Edited by basseffect
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, basseffect said:

 

I could probably see those stats next year, although I'd hope for a higher scoring output. I'm expecting his FT% to be somewhere in the 60's to start. Ben doesn't seem comfortable shooting from the outside from what I've watched, so I'd expect maybe half a three per game or so, if that. I'm hoping he gets a chance to work on his form while he's out though. 

 

Definitely hoping for a combo of that nature in the draft. As a selfish Sixers fan, we just need the Lakers to start sucking a bit more so we can guarantee ourselves two lottery picks. It almost feels like they only tanked just enough last year with Byron Scott to prevent us from getting their draft pick. :) 

 

Kobe's farewell was a disguised tank no doubt lol. Walton has that team humming and good for him.He obviously learned alot in GS. If he can get this wounded young team to win so much so early I'm not confident their pick will be top 10 anymore but you can hope.

 

Yeah I don't know. Sergio has about 7 dimes this year already. I think Ben can match it. Boards could be a little high at 7 on average due to likely minute restrictions to start off a rookie campaign...but he is a great rebounder as you know, and he will be looking to push the break off of board hunting all of the time. And of course Ben will have the ball making decisions basically the whole time he is on the court.

 

At least in summer camp, it seemed Ben had a tendency to hold the ball until his pass could lead to an assist. Not sure that will be broken off of the bat and I think he will looking to set up immediate assists like Rondo so I think he could actually get 7 off the bat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mcflywalker said:

Damn he got nabbed in my 10-teamer. Thinking of trading for him in a package. Safe to assume the whole sitting out back-to-backs and 24 min limit ala Embiid?

 

I haven't heard either but I'd assume some type of limit restriction in the beginning as it's the safe thing to do.

 

I've read he will re-join the team soon and start sitting on the bench during games which will be an awesome first step toward return.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BBOY said:

 

I haven't heard either but I'd assume some type of limit restriction in the beginning as it's the safe thing to do.

 

I've read he will re-join the team soon and start sitting on the bench during games which will be an awesome first step toward return.

 

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to formulate a trade for him but his owner is already valuing him fairly high. I know they plan on making him the main ball handler; I wonder if Yahoo gives him PG status down the line, and to that note, if he'd be PG, SF, PF or PG-PF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BBOY said:

 

Kobe's farewell was a disguised tank no doubt lol. Walton has that team humming and good for him.He obviously learned alot in GS. If he can get this wounded young team to win so much so early I'm not confident their pick will be top 10 anymore but you can hope.

 

Yeah I don't know. Sergio has about 7 dimes this year already. I think Ben can match it. Boards could be a little high at 7 on average due to likely minute restrictions to start off a rookie campaign...but he is a great rebounder as you know, and he will be looking to push the break off of board hunting all of the time. And of course Ben will have the ball making decisions basically the whole time he is on the court.

 

At least in summer camp, it seemed Ben had a tendency to hold the ball until his pass could lead to an assist. Not sure that will be broken off of the bat and I think he will looking to set up immediate assists like Rondo so I think he could actually get 7 off the bat.

 

Haha yeah, Walton and the team have exceeded my expectations. Weird seeing Lou Will excel out in LA now haha. it definitely doesn't seem like the pick will land in the lottery, but I can always dream. Just a little annoying for me having waited so long for the pick to convey while the Lakers struggled, only for it to be somewhere in the middle of the first round. 

 

I think 7 and 7 is definitely reasonable for the start of next season. As long as he progresses well in his recovery, I see no reason for a minute restriction next year, barring any future injuries or setbacks (God forbid). Although Ben's personality seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way (I think the kid is a little misunderstood at times), I believe he has the desire and ability to be great. I expect him to definitely be more aggressive when he finally gets the opportunity to play. I could just be biased though. That being said, you're right about his tendency to hold onto the ball, while looking to make a great pass. I like the unselfish attitude, but that won't really work as well against tougher competition. He'll definitely need to be perceived as a greater threat on offense, and I hope he learns to use his size to his advantage. In summer league he also had a generally less talented cast of players to work with. I think Embiid will help take at least some of the pressure off his shoulders. 

32 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

 

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to formulate a trade for him but his owner is already valuing him fairly high. I know they plan on making him the main ball handler; I wonder if Yahoo gives him PG status down the line, and to that note, if he'd be PG, SF, PF or PG-PF.

 

Even though Brett Brown recently said he expects Ben to handle point guard duties, I'm not sure if he'll be given PG eligibility unless he's explicitly listed as the starting PG on the lineup sheet, which I don't exactly foresee happening since Bayless or Sergio are likely to play with him on the floor as well. Who knows though? They might eventually give him the same versatility as Giannis, like you suggested. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, playadelrey said:

 

I don't know who said his career is done, all public sources I read said January 

well u know all the nutcrackers in the media. lotsa different views. some people who feel 100% he's not returning this season, some that say january. 

i mean even the coach said january and then retracted so i don't know what to think now. i mean guess the only people that have good insight is ben simmons himself and his doctor. oh boy. need this stud to get back on the court. my team needs a do it all guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...