NBC Sports Edge Forums

Eli Rogers 2016 Season Outlook

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, csrulz16 said:

Nothing to see here.  Wheaton will be back next week.  Rogers won't have consistent targets.

Maybe, but I think this game isn't one to judge much out of these offesnes. Was very messy and both QBs played poorly. I'd wait for another game. 

Why is this thread bumped? Aren't we dropping? I did . Boy this may bite me. But honestly ppr guys come around every week.  He might have just been a flavor of the day guy. We've seen that other than Brown, the only other WR that produce fantasy numbers overs the years on Steelers is the other wide out. Bryant etc. it's never been the slot WR.  Now with the new gun slinger in town I'd rather have him than Eli Rogers. 

19 minutes ago, Corey In Da House said:

Not sure why you added him after week 1 to drop him after week 2 against a team that Big Ben historically struggles against. If he does piss poor in week 3 or the targets aren't back, cut city.

Good point. Yes I agree I was hasty within week one however team/league  circumstance led me another way. 

On 9/1/2016 at 4:01 PM, Mahomet said:

by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com
(2 hrs ago) Rogers (toe) was spotted in a walking boot Tuesday, with head coach Mike Tomlin calling the wideout "very questionable" for Sunday's game against Kansas City, Dave Lolley of the Washington Observer-Reporter reports.

Rogers surprisingly earned a role as the team's slot receiver in training camp, and while the recent return of Markus Wheaton might have led to a reduction in targets, it still seemed Rogers would be a significant part of the offense. If he's unable to play in Sunday's game, Wheaton and/or Antonio Brown will spend significant time working from the slot, with Sammie Coates potentially taking on more snaps outside.

4 minutes ago, lakerforlife42 said:

Drop?

With Bell back Rogers falls down to #4 at best in that offense and fighting Jesse James for targets.

Brown + Bell + Coates? + Rogers/James. 

Hard to hold any longer. I thought it would work out as another option for Ben to exploit, but looks like I was wrong.

3 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

With Bell back Rogers falls down to #4 at best in that offense and fighting Jesse James for targets.

Brown + Bell + Coates? + Rogers/James. 

Hard to hold any longer. I thought it would work out as another option for Ben to exploit, but looks like I was wrong.

Without double checking targets to date I don't think Bell changes anything from DeAngelo as DW was already getting a ton of targets.

But the injury is a big deal as it gives Wheaton yet again another opportunity to take the slot receiver role.

Rogers is a drop for me if there's anything decent on the wire.

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Without double checking targets to date I don't think Bell changes anything from DeAngelo as DW was already getting a ton of targets.

But the injury is a big deal as it gives Wheaton yet again another opportunity to take the slot receiver role.

Rogers is a drop for me if there's anything decent on the wire.

I agree. I don't think Bell is a changing factor in targets in this offense,

however,

I just don't see the value here. I don't think the upside will be there. I don't think he'll get many end zone looks (I'd like to say he doesn't have a target, even with having a TD, considering it was a dropped Coates ball). He seems to operate very effectively in his underneath portion of the field, but unlike many other teams where this role alone would be valuable, too many of these targets are split between him, the TE, and the RB positions. If I'm not in a PPR league, I never added, but I would drop immediately. In PPR leagues you may hold and hope he can have some 10+ point games with 6/60 7/70 5/50 type lines, but that's the upside here, and I think the floor is being completely phased out by game flow or necessity for bigger plays to AB by Big Ben. 

• 2 weeks later...

Eli Rogers (toe) is practicing in full for Week 6 against the Dolphins.

Rogers hasn't played since developing a case of turf toe in Week 3. Starting the week off with a full practice puts him well on track to man the slot Sunday.

is the train picking up steam again??? or has the coates boat already set sail?

Rogers and Coates are night-and-day talents. Rogers has better hands but lacks nearly all the potential of explosiveness. Coates is far more likely to have 3/70 and 2/60 and 1/25 type lines (as well as the bigger ones) where I can see Rogers having more receptions but closer to a 4/40, 5/50, 6/60 type lines. 

If you're asking me who I want, it's Coates. Better take the chance at someone who can win a week than someone who, IMO, is much more of a flex play. I do think there's a chance Rogers can eat into Coates' share tho. I think Ben prefers him to Wheaton in that role.