NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Reyes 2016 Outlook

This quick resolution that occurred in this player thread is why this community is still valuable despite the format change. 

Within an hour the community narrowed down where Reyes was going and who would be starting Sunday.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, k.k. said:

Any hope Reyes is going to get a start next week? Could very well hinge on how Weaver does on Sat I suppose.

I am wondering this myself .... I wasted my #2 waiver pick in a 16 team rotisserie league. I was hoping he would join the rotation

He looked utterly unhittable, and command was excellent save for the lone walk. Basically threw only fastballs and changeups the whole game with a couple hammers mixed in. Check out the Javier Baez K for a good laugh (100.4 MPH fastball)... it will be a classic gif by the end of the week. 

7 hours ago, BackwardsKRay said:

He looked utterly unhittable, and command was excellent save for the lone walk. Basically threw only fastballs and changeups the whole game with a couple hammers mixed in. Check out the Javier Baez K for a good laugh (100.4 MPH fastball)... it will be a classic gif by the end of the week. 

Can anyone find a link for this?

edit: found it at the 7:30 mark of the condensed game. Lol

What I've seen, which is not a whole lot to be honest, this guy will be a star...A surprise to nobody around here. Some can throw 100, but the key is does it have movement, and does the pitcher have a clue where it's going. I'll admit, I'm a little puzzled Reyes had so many walks in the minors.  Regardless, Reyes will be starting this season. Soon.

Oh yeah, doesn't Reyes throw a knuckle curve? I'm pretty sure I saw him gripping the ball with his knuckle. That pitch drops right off the table. Regardless, nasty!

I am of the opinion that he's better suited for the pen for this year, in terms of actual need for the cardinals.

you _may_ see a spot start later in the year if Lynn comes back since lynn will most likely go to the bullpen, but honestly i wouldn't bank on reyes making any starts this year.

as a side note, should the cards make the one game playoff, reyes would be a sneaky start for them in that particular game.

• 2 weeks later...
Alex Reyes - R -  Cardinals

Alex Reyes will make his first major league start on Saturday in place of Mike Leake who is dealing with shingles.

The 21-year-old right-hander has been impressive in his time out of the Cardinals bullpen, posting a 13/4 K/BB ratio over 9 1/3 scoreless innings. He's worthy of a look in all formats for as long as he's in the rotation.

What do we think he can do tomorrow?

it's wild to see a guy like Mike Fiers put everything he's got into a 93mph fastball, then Reyes comes along and effortlessly fires a sizzling 99 while looking like a kid gliding a paper airplane off the porch. secondary stuff looked good from what I saw, too. It's not quite the same "holy smokes" stuff that we saw with young Jose Fernandez, but I'm not sure it's too far off. 

Archived