NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Reyes 2016 Outlook

52 minutes ago, worldclass said:

Is he going to be a starter the rest of the year?

Mon, Sep 5

Alex Reyes is being moved back to the bullpen.

Advice: Reyes allowed three runs in 10 2/3 innings in two starts, but he's returning to the bullpen now that Mike Leake has recovered from the shingles virus. His fantasy upside will be limited as a reliever, but he remains an exciting talent for the long-term.

More: Derrick Goold on Twitter

Rotoworld blurb says no above.  Makes no sense since he is doing better than most of the other Cards starters not named Martinez.  St Louis is probably making a big mistake here since long term everyone knows he is in the rotation next year on and Waino has sucked most of the year and shingles guy there was doing poorly in the second half etc etc.  They are in a tight wildcard battle yet they sit their second best (and eventually, best maybe) starter?

I don't care.  I'm dynasty and he is here to stay.  But in redraft leagues it would still be difficult to drop him because of his K rate, ERA and WHIP.  And because I think the Cards will have to scruffy back to starting him again within days of this bad decision.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 1:44 PM, worldclass said:

Is he going to be a starter the rest of the year?

I would think that's very likely, unless he melts down. They'll be fighting for a wild card spot until the end and Jaime Garcia can't be trusted.

2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Thinking of holding as a keeper. I like what I've seen so far. 

Given he is one of the top or possibly the top pitching prospect I should hope you hold on to him.  Of course I think in dynasty terms.  if it is shallow keeper then I understand why you might have to think about it.  But this guy seems like the next big thing on the pitching side of the ledger to me.

34 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Given he is one of the top or possibly the top pitching prospect I should hope you hold on to him.  Of course I think in dynasty terms.  if it is shallow keeper then I understand why you might have to think about it.  But this guy seems like the next big thing on the pitching side of the ledger to me.

14 teams keep two pitchers for one year only. I'm looking forward to see how this Sunday goes. 

45 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I've been been thinking of keeping him over Gerrit Cole.

We count K/BB though and that's a negative for him.

Torn on Reyes. Love everything but the walks. He's gonna get a lot hype next year with stories he's young and working on control. Might be a good sell high if you aren't optimistic on the BB's issue. I feel like he could have a couple young Danny Salazar type years. 

On 9/16/2016 at 2:15 PM, jwblue said:

Does anyone else believe the obsession with a pitcher walking batter is overrated.

Isn't Nolan Ryan the all time leader in walks?

Depends on whip...but Reyes can improve there. I comp'ed him to Salazar above but think his upside is higher than that. So I will be more tolerant of those walks for a season or two if needed. 

4 hours ago, tesla said:

He's looking better and better as he gets that weed out of his system

He might be better on it. Many people believe it is a performance enhancer for some athletes.

1 hour ago, mrkrab said:

He might be better on it. Many people believe it is a performance enhancer for some athletes.

"Wow man did you ever notice baseballs are like round?  I bet you could like throw them pretty fast.  'Specially with those weird red bumps on them.  They must be like little red handles or maybe worms in a conga line.  Far out."

You can definitely tell who has and hasn't smoked marijuana here by the comments. Kinda like those comedies where characters "smoke up" and do and say all kinds of stupid things that I've never seen remotely happen to anyone in reality.

But back on topic, I love this kid. Traded for him in a dynasty in the offseason and I have a feeling I'll be holding on to him for a long time to come.

30 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

You can definitely tell who has and hasn't smoked marijuana here by the comments. Kinda like those comedies where characters "smoke up" and do and say all kinds of stupid things that I've never seen remotely happen to anyone in reality.

But back on topic, I love this kid. Traded for him in a dynasty in the offseason and I have a feeling I'll be holding on to him for a long time to come.

But were you in reality at the time, heh?  And can you not understand what a joke is mocking said inane jokes which are in turn a way to mock the people who never ... you know. But okay if you didn't get it.  Better than arguing over ball players here.

Archived