NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jhailyn Ortiz OF Phi

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not that great to start, but he's 19 in high a... That's pretty impressive. He has some learning to do still obviously. I'm not too worried yet.

He’s at Low-A, Lakewood in the Sally League. His first full-season exposure.

Definitely has lots of time to turn it around, but will probably fall off the midseason lists unless he gets going soon.

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He’s at Low-A, Lakewood in the Sally League. His first full-season exposure.

Definitely has lots of time to turn it around, but will probably fall off the midseason lists unless he gets going soon.

I'm not an expert on farm systems and leagues at all, so my bad for saying the wrong league, but on his fangraphs page the league he played in last year has an A- while this year it just says A, so I assumed high A

12 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm not an expert on farm systems and leagues at all, so my bad for saying the wrong league, but on his fangraphs page the league he played in last year has an A- while this year it just says A, so I assumed high A

Yeah, the abbreviations can be a bit confusing.  "A-" is "Short Season A".  "A" is "Low A" or just "Class A".  "A+"is "High A" or "Class A Advanced."  I really wish MLB had just kept/repurposed the original designations of Class A, B, C, D, etc. so it wouldn't be so complicated.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Yeah, the abbreviations can be a bit confusing.  "A-" is "Short Season A".  "A" is "Low A" or just "Class A".  "A+"is "High A" or "Class A Advanced."  I really wish MLB had just kept/repurposed the original designations of Class A, B, C, D, etc. so it wouldn't be so complicated.

if A- is short season, what is R? I assume rookie ball. What's the difference been short season and rookie league?

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

if A- is short season, what is R? I assume rookie ball. What's the difference been short season and rookie league?

Rookie league is just a lower classification -- generally younger players and guys who need more seasoning before they can handle A ball.

• 1 month later...

Since his return from the DL on 5/21 Ortiz is hitting .350/.366/.475 with 6 multi-hit games and 9 Ks in 41 PAs, 1 HR, 2 doubles. No walks, but definitely an encouraging sign given how he started the year.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Coming off one of the worst year's imaginable and a slow start, Ortiz seems to be bringing it lately. He's someone I'd monitor closely. A hot month he could be in AA and talked about frequently everywhere. 

It's a name that I haven't thought of in awhile, thanks @brockpapersizer for bringing him back into the conversation.  He's definitely one of the best power bats in the minors, but geez, even the K's in the last 10 games still is at 33% which is only a small reduction from his nearly 40% K-rate on the year.  He's young, so there still time to figure it out, but also keep in mind these are K-rates in A-Ball.  I can't see it getting 'better' in AA or moving up against better arms without refining his approach.

29 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Coming off one of the worst year's imaginable and a slow start, Ortiz seems to be bringing it lately. He's someone I'd monitor closely. A hot month he could be in AA and talked about frequently everywhere. 

Hmmm.... I'd love for Ortiz to start mashing and begin living up to the initial hype, but I'm still not seeing it. Hitting only .250 in his last 10 with a continued poor K's to BB's ratio and just 2 HR's over that time. Overall, his May splits look better than April, but still a below .800 OPS for May and his first two games in June haven't been any better. There's still time, obviously, but I'm very skeptical here.