NBC Sports EDGE Forums

My Kluber For His Murphy

BMcP

Murphy will be 32 at the start of next season and has never been anything close to the player he is this year. Want nothing to do with him next year or in a keeper. I prefer Kluber by a lot. That said, if you need a 2B to push for a championship this year and have SP depth, it might be worthwhile.

On August 13, 2016 at 1:16 AM, reckoner said:

Depends on the keeper settings , roster, etc. how much do they cost next year ? What's your team look like?

Ah, of course: Kluber can be kept for next year only at a Round 16 cost.

Murphy can be kept for two years at a R13 cost next year and R10 in '18.

My offense is terrible.  Like among the worst in every cat except steals.

I'm leading the league in almost every pitching cat.  Still have Arrieta and Fulmer as anchors (and Harvey and Hill - no current plans to do anything more with Harvey, undecided on Hill).

I can only keep 5.  Leaning toward (besides Kluber): Arrieta, Correa, Villar, and undecided - someone like E. Diaz, Fulmer, Brad Miller.

It's also a 10-teamer in which I've found it's not too difficult to find - and even stream- quality arms.  Which makes me less inclined to keep a starter.

Thanks for everyone's help thus far!

On 8/12/2016 at 2:09 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

Murphy will be 32 at the start of next season and has never been anything close to the player he is this year. Want nothing to do with him next year or in a keeper. I prefer Kluber by a lot. That said, if you need a 2B to push for a championship this year and have SP depth, it might be worthwhile.

I could see that Murphy isn't worth where he's ranked this year, but I do think he's a better than he has been previously. He's a 280 hitter with 20 HR + upside batting in the middle of a lineup near Harper. That's pretty valuable.  Probably wont have this repeat season and 2b is kind of deep.

I think it's not a ridiculous trade and I see merit both ways.

21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I could see that Murphy isn't worth where he's ranked this year, but I do think he's a better than he has been previously. He's a 280 hitter with 20 HR + upside batting in the middle of a lineup near Harper. That's pretty valuable.  Probably wont have this repeat season and 2b is kind of deep.

I think it's not a ridiculous trade and I see merit both ways.

I hear ya. Just don't like paying for a career year. 

.347 BABIP (.318 career)

.263 ISO (.149 career)

13.4 HR/FB (7.4 career)

I'm not convinced at 31, he's now that much better than he was previously. Obviously this year is his upside, but see nothing to suggest 20+ HR again. He's a nice .290/14 HR 2B. To me, I don't trade a Kluber type SP for that production.

53 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I hear ya. Just don't like paying for a career year. 

.347 BABIP (.318 career)

.263 ISO (.149 career)

13.4 HR/FB (7.4 career)

I'm not convinced at 31, he's now that much better than he was previously. Obviously this year is his upside, but see nothing to suggest 20+ HR again. He's a nice .290/14 HR 2B. To me, I don't trade a Kluber type SP for that production.

I am convinced he's better than he was, but this is obviously peak.

He was the most dangerous hitter last postseason and backing it up.

I like guys that make contact. Murphy's K rate is at 10.4% for the year. That's 6th overall among qualifiers (altuve is 2nd at 9.5%). You just don't see that often in today's baseball. I didn't think I'd say this having watched him when he first came up but I'm a believer in the Irish Hammer. 

Archived