Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

It's positive news that Abdullah escaped without a break in the foot. He limped off the field early in Detroit's home loss and was seen after the contest in a walking boot.

The Lions should have an estimate on how much time their shifty runner will miss after additional tests. Pass-catching back Theo Riddick will likely see more carries if Abdullah misses significant time. Rookie Dwayne Washington is also in line for a bigger workload. After sitting out the first two weeks, preseason darlingZach Zenner could be activated in Abdullah's absence.

 

Jene Bramel Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Did not see Lisfranc mechanism. Hopefully, MRI will show low grade sprain but tough ask for Abdullah to play W3.

Jene Bramel added,

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The belief is #Lions RB Ameer Abdullah suffered a foot sprain on Sunday, source said. X-Rays negative. More tests coming to confirm.
3 retweets0 likes
Reply
 
Retweet
 
3
 
 
Like
 
 
 
More

AMEER ABDULLAH | LEFT FOOT INJURY | MONTH-TO-MONTH

Video angles on Abdullah's injury were inconclusive. While I didn't see obvious signs of a high ankle sprain or Lisfranc injury, the video didn't rule out other types of midfoot sprains or a fifth metatarsal fracture. Reports of Abdullah leaving the locker room in a walking boot aren't definitively worrisome but aren't reassuring either. Abdullah will have further imaging studies on Monday. His prognosis will be clearer then, but prepare for a multi-week absence here.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On September 1, 2016 at 7:46 PM, burninglegs said:

Washington might be the best RB we have. 

 

As a Lions fan I still stand behind this from what I have seen. This kid runs hard and is the best suited for being a 3 down back for the team. He just needs more touches imo. Riddick and Zenner aren't going to cut it. If Abdullah is out, this kid could carve out a nice little role if he can keep producing when given more touches. I sure am rooting for him and I know other Lions fans are too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

CsiOQ7B.gif

 

 

 

I know the above TD run was in preseason against a Bills defense that is terrible, but I'm still impressed with his run. He has really good acceleration once he decides to go and his top speed isn't too bad for a guy of his size. Good to see that he can bounce runs to the outside if the o-line doesn't have anything open and could potentially take it for a long one.

 

I want to see him involved more in the passing game to see what he can do gong forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dwayne Washington intrigues me, and in my 14 team 17 man rosters he is available on the wire, but I will not be making a move for him.

 

IMO - Matt Stafford sucks and so does this coaching staff.  They have no idea how to use a RB like Washington IMO.  This will probably be the Theo Riddick show at the expense of the Lions victories.  I am thinking this guy will mostly fail as will the Lions for the remainder of the season, but after the whole Lions coaching staff is fired this is a guy I will be stashing in a keeper league.  I think he can be refined and POTENTIALLY become a force in the NFL, but not with this coaching staff.

 

This guy is a converted WR so you know he's got hands.  He's got good straight line speed if he can break through holes, but the question is will he?

 

He's not great at being a RB out of the back field and being told to hit holes at this point IMO.  He's got good numbers that show he should be able to be a solid 1 cut back, but he's failed to show it on a football field.  It's kind of madness to attack a nice TD run for a guy that the hype train is building on, but I will anyways.

 

In the above highlight, in the 4th pre-season game where most starters don't play, you see a big dude, 6'2 - 220 bounce to the outside, he looked pretty slow doing it even though his shuttle and 3 cone times were very nice.  You also see the pass rusher on the right side get EASILY sealed off and #44 take a horrible angle at him.  I'd be willing to bet that both those guys aren't on the Bills anymore.  I haven't fact checked this so I can definitely be wrong, but whatever.

 

If you are in desperate need at RB, I understand taking a flyer on him, but I am just not sure this guy is going to be a fantasy factor.  He's big and stupid coaches tend to believe that big guys are better at the goal line, and since the Lions have a stupid coach that might work out well for his prospects though.  I have been wrong before and can be wrong again, but I'm going to pass on him.  Good luck if you gamble though, I always root for underdogs and 7th rounders to succeed.

 

If anyone has the highlight of his 28 yard run in the game and could post it that would be very cool.  I'd love to see if he ran up the middle or bounced outside and how he looked doing it.  

 

BTW, Zach Zenner inactive week 1 and week 2... Where's everyone at that was crucifying me pre-season when I spoke poorly of him?  

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Stafford does not suck. Take that back. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about if that is your belief.

 

Caldwell sucks and I don't like him.

Jim Bob Cooter looks to be a way better OC than Lombardi so far. Lombardi was holding this offense back at a detriment to the team. Cooter has at least improved on the efficiency and not kept Stafford in a locked box. Big different in the offense under Lombardi to what it is now. All for the better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mar1kle said:

Abdullah going to NC for second opinion...not good...Washington is a great  waiver value pick up this week. Hopefully final word will wait till waivers clears so his price doesn't get to high.

 

Agree...That can't be good.

 

I think when everyone else is chasing the Minn RB situation I might just quietly go after this guy.  I mean, I think the Lions want to keep Riddick in a receiving role with limited carries and don't view him as an early down and rd zone RB.  Washington is pretty interesting IMO and he's a guy that could actually get some tough yards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

 

Agree...That can't be good.

 

I think when everyone else is chasing the Minn RB situation I might just quietly go after this guy.  I mean, I think the Lions want to keep Riddick in a receiving role with limited carries and don't view him as an early down and rd zone RB.  Washington is pretty interesting IMO and he's a guy that could actually get some tough yards.

 

Why do you think he's a guy that can actually get some tough yards?

Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^

Just a big bodied back that abdullah and riddick are not. Thats my guess. Defiantly interested on him, hoping he slides into FA though so i don't have to take my flier on him. Own #2 and this week could be crucial.

Really like this guy, and chances could be there

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Coach Jim Caldwell confirmed rookie RB Dwayne Washington's role will expand following Ameer Abdullah's foot injury.

At 6-foot-1, 223, Washington brings a much different element to Detroit's rushing attack than Ameer Abdullah or Theo Riddick. Washington has six carries for 32 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' first two games. "He was productive obviously on the carries that he had and I think he’s coming along," Caldwell said. "I think without question he’s certainly capable of giving us some unique production in his way because he’s a little different type of back." Expect Riddick to start against the Packers in Week 3, with Washington handling 8-12 carries off the bench and vulturing any goal-line opportunities.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not get the love from what I have seen from him, but if you believe get him now.  I'd be surprised if Abdullah is back in less than a month.

 

I believe Zenner is the better between the tackles guy, and I have him in my leagues, but the coaching staff disagrees and they are the ones who play the guys.

Edited by Sternes
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

I fear that the minute i burned a waiver claim on Washington, they would roll with Zenner.

I know nothing of your league, but I'd think you are safe on not burning a WW if you were in any of my 3 leagues.  Most people want no part of this backfield to begin with, and most people don't pay attention to the Lions.  I'd be surprised if any burned a WW pick on him unless someone is cripplingly desperate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sternes said:

I know nothing of your league, but I'd think you are safe on not burning a WW if you were in any of my 3 leagues.  Most people want no part of this backfield to begin with, and most people don't pay attention to the Lions.  I'd be surprised if any burned a WW pick on him unless someone is cripplingly desperate.

I don't think ill put a claim in but ill definately be there after the first wave of claims go through. (12 team ppr)

Edited by 77georgec
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

Just......don't....fumble...and you are gold..

 

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/04/30/speedy-rb-dwayne-washington-lions-final-pick/83765166/

 

One issue Washington will have to correct is his fumbling. Despite having just 269 touches in college, including two kickoff returns, he had 10 fumbles. He fumbled on 3.7 percent of his touches, a higher rate than Ameer Abdullah’s 2.4 percent at Nebraska.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrote this Sunday morning in the Week 2 Waiver Touts -- I'm in a 16 Teamer so I made sure to make the speculative add before the week

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Deep Leaguers: Dwayne Washington

 

Rookie big-back/goal line back who made Zack Zenner expendable in Detroit. Coaching staff loves him and if Abdullah gets hurt, its Washington/Reddick.

 

He had a lot of big plays in the preseason, a short TD Week 1, and will continue getting more carries as the weeks go on.

 

Someone to watch for most.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Can understand no one caring then, but now with Abdullah's injury Washington should be on everyone's radar.

 

...and for those of you saying Zenner, Dwayne is clearly over him and has been since camp -- hence him being inactive, giving Washington the big-back role over him, and the coaches saying that Washington will have a much bigger role going forward.

 

 

(couldn't quote my own words due to the Week 2 WW Thread being locked)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well aware of Zenner being inactive.  I just don't see "it" with Washington.  I get the staff doesn't agree with me, but in the limited game action I've seen I prefer Zen (who himself only has limited game action) and I vastly prefer what I saw out of college from Zenner.

 

We will see, but considering they are both the same size, and one was a bread and butter between the tackles guy and one wasn't, I'm surprised by the way they are going about it.  Then again, this is the Lions.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Well aware of Zenner being inactive.  I just don't see "it" with Washington.  I get the staff doesn't agree with me, but in the limited game action I've seen I prefer Zen (who himself only has limited game action) and I vastly prefer what I saw out of college from Zenner.

 

We will see, but considering they are both the same size, and one was a bread and butter between the tackles guy and one wasn't, I'm surprised by the way they are going about it.  Then again, this is the Lions.

 

 

Washington 6-2, 226

Zenner 5-11, 222

 

Dwayne's got him by a bit -- he's a former WR, in a prototypical WR body, playing RB. He's got wheels too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spina said:

Washington 6-2, 226

Zenner 5-11, 222

 

Dwayne's got him by a bit -- he's a former WR, in a prototypical WR body, playing RB. He's got wheels too.

 

**sigh**

 

Rotoworld:

Zenner 5-11 222

Washington 6-1 223

 

Combine:

Zenner  5-11 1/4     223

Washington 6-1 1/8  221


As far as height?  I wasn't suggesting he was taller, but Zenner is just as big as far as weight, which is what I was referencing.  Typically, being taller isn't an asset at RB.  Cool, he's a former WR, in a WR body, playing RB.  Who didn't do either one of those things very well in college. 

 

I've looked at just about everything on these two out of college and coming out, I have a very clear preference for Zenner.  Same for their preseason highlights.  I liked what I saw in limited action in the NFL, and was hoping to see how he looked with more extensive work.  Washington hasn't had that chance yet.  

 

Washington looks like a straight line upright guy who has questionable vision between the tackles and needs space to operate.  Give him a big hole or a dump off and he can get going, but he is basically a taller, less talented and agile version of Abdullah in a bigger body.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you all hoping that he just carves out a bigger role for himself once Abdullah is back and plays well in the meantime?

 

I'm of the belief that Abdullah is by far the most talented back on this roster, almost blue chip. Riddick is a good football player and will get more looks in his already established role, including some more rushes.

 

I have a hard time believing Washington can / will actually take over and move Abdullah to back-up.

 

Perhaps I never realized how high on Abdullah I actually am, but I think we'd be singing a completely different tune if he was drafted by Chip Kelly or Andy Reid. LeSean McCoy 2.0.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sternes said:

 

**sigh**

 

Rotoworld:

Zenner 5-11 222

Washington 6-1 223

 

Combine:

Zenner  5-11 1/4     223

Washington 6-1 1/8  221


As far as height?  I wasn't suggesting he was taller, but Zenner is just as big as far as weight, which is what I was referencing.  Typically, being taller isn't an asset at RB.  Cool, he's a former WR, in a WR body, playing RB.  Who didn't do either one of those things very well in college. 

 

I've looked at just about everything on these two out of college and coming out, I have a very clear preference for Zenner.  Same for their preseason highlights.  I liked what I saw in limited action in the NFL, and was hoping to see how he looked with more extensive work.  Washington hasn't had that chance yet.  

 

Washington looks like a straight line upright guy who has questionable vision between the tackles and needs space to operate.  Give him a big hole or a dump off and he can get going, but he is basically a taller, less talented and agile version of Abdullah in a bigger body.

Fine I actually agree on the height thing for RBs, BUT the coaches preference is the one that matters to me, and they prefer Washington.

 

Also Zenner needs to be active to get any work, let alone 'extensive' work -- while Washington has a 20+yd run and a TD in the chances he hasn't yet had

 

NFL Draft Profile has Washington at 6-2 226 -- that's where I got the measurables  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...