NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto-OF Nationals

accudart

I know it's a SSS but what this kid has done so far in LoA is remarkable..

He would be a senior in HS if he was in the USA.. but he's absolutely dominating LoA ball at 18, which is impressive in itself..

The plate approach is unreal for an 18yo.. Through 58ABs, he has twice as many walks as Ks (I'm aware that will likely drop).. 8BB/4Ks for those keeping track that's a 6.9% K-rate, obviously you can't put much stock into that, but that % is pretty astounding. 

Stat line: 

.397/.470/.569.. I love prospects than can hit and that he can.. I don't care if he's a corner OF only, if he's available in your dynasty league somehow, you better jump on the bandwagon, like yesterday! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, cltubbs said:

He just had hamate surgery on his right hand, so his season's over. Looks like his ETA to the majors will be 2020 now at best IMO.

This says a couple of weeks -

Soto had previously been rehabbing an ankle fracture, but apparently his wrist also became an issue when he returned to game action. The Nationals expect the top prospect to miss a few weeks with this new ailment, so look for him to get back into action sometime in mid-to-late August. Prior to getting hurt, Soto was slashing .360/.427/.523 in 86 at-bats with Low-A Hagerstown.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-juan-soto-adds-hamate-surgery-to-list-of-injuries/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

This says a couple of weeks -

Soto had previously been rehabbing an ankle fracture, but apparently his wrist also became an issue when he returned to game action. The Nationals expect the top prospect to miss a few weeks with this new ailment, so look for him to get back into action sometime in mid-to-late August. Prior to getting hurt, Soto was slashing .360/.427/.523 in 86 at-bats with Low-A Hagerstown.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-juan-soto-adds-hamate-surgery-to-list-of-injuries/

I hope this isn't the case.  I'd rather them just call it a season and let him rest up so he's full strength next year...what's there to prove or gain for a couple weeks?

15 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

I hope this isn't the case.  I'd rather them just call it a season and let him rest up so he's full strength next year...what's there to prove or gain for a couple weeks?

We sort of focus on this stuff too much, though, at this age if you ask me. He'll play when he's ready. At that age, they send a lot of these guys to get at-bats in fall or winter leagues to keep their development moving. For instance, Acuna played in Australia over the winter after missing most of the second half last year. That didn't end up being much of a setback for him.

7 hours ago, Hanghow said:

We sort of focus on this stuff too much, though, at this age if you ask me. He'll play when he's ready. At that age, they send a lot of these guys to get at-bats in fall or winter leagues to keep their development moving. For instance, Acuna played in Australia over the winter after missing most of the second half last year. That didn't end up being much of a setback for him.

I don't have to even look to other players....Soto played when he was ready in July....that lasted 5 games.  To me, there's a difference between coming back in mid August to play a few weeks in the SALLY versus playing in November in the Australian league.   The point is coming back for a couple of weeks to participate in kiw A ball...not continuing development in a winter league, which would give him another 6 weeks off.  Just seems like very little reward not to wait until the winter leagues start up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update I came across on Fantrax from yesterday.

Soto tweaked his hamstring in Monday's Gulf Coast League game and his 2017 season is over, Chelsea Janes of The Washington Post reports.

Analysis: He had been rehabbing ankle and hamate injuries with the the Nationals' GCL affiliate, and with the minor-league season almost over, this latest injury means the end of his campaign. Soto was excellent in a short sample at Low-A, hitting .360/.427/.523 with three home runs in 23 games with Hagerstown. Fortunately, he should be fully healthy when camp begins, at which point he will vie for an assignment to High-A.

Tough to see him struggle with injuries this year, especially with the success he was having while healthy. He was posting similar numbers to Vlad Gurerreo Jr. in A-ball this year, both of them being 18 too. Here's hoping he shows he can stay healthy and puts up some monster numbers next season!

On 9/6/2017 at 8:33 AM, garlando said:

Just an update I came across on Fantrax from yesterday.

Tough to see him struggle with injuries this year, especially with the success he was having while healthy. He was posting similar numbers to Vlad Gurerreo Jr. in A-ball this year, both of them being 18 too. Here's hoping he shows he can stay healthy and puts up some monster numbers next season!

I’d be buying low since injuries moved him down on most lists. Seems like the trajectory of Soto when healthy is the same as many of the dudes in the top 1-10 of most lists. 

• 6 months later...

I figured I bump up this thread. I just acquired him in my Dynasty/Deep Keeper league. He's already a showing up on Baseball Prospectus's Top 20 List. I like his profile but I haven't really seen him play I'm just going off of what I've read about him in some BP articles as well as other random internet articles. 

Has anybody seen this kid first hand?