NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto-OF Nationals

accudart

17 hours ago, hard1 said:

Oh snap David Ross power? Kidding all in on this guy but David Ross hit a moonshot there or something cause that reference is lost on me

Haha, I imagine David Ross on a rehab stint is legit power in A ball. 

• Like 1

John Sickel's take:

"Soto saw two pitches in his first at bat. The first he took for a ball. The second he sent opposite field over the left field wall. It was a decisive shot as well, gone the second it left the bat. I haven’t seen many, if any, home runs since starting to cover the South Atlantic League three years ago as impressive. "

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Not if Taylor Trammell has anything to say about it. I can't wait to see how those two handle high A and AA.

I think that is an interesting guy to throw in the mix. I am a huge Trammell fan for fantasy as well. Any player that can put up a .281with 13 homers and 41 bags at 19 is gold. But I will go out and say that IF Soto goes through this season healthy, even Trammell won't sniff the type of love this guy is deservingly going to get. I know with both it is a small sample so far, and that they have plenty to go. Trammell is currently sporting a career .289 average, while Soto is walking with a hefty .364.  Also, while comparing the early K/BB they both have going on, Trammell so far in his career is 183 ks to 737 Abs (25%), while his BB is 96 of 737 (13%). Soto is sporting a 43 ks to 324 Ab's (13%) and 32 BB of 324 Ab's (10%). 

All in all - we are talking two of my favorite young guys for fantasy. I obviously think Trammell with the wheels can really make a dent when he's up, and I do not think Soto will touch 20 of those. But I do think Soto has a generational type hit tool working right now, almost even like Francisco Meija on steroids (even though in baseball I shouldn't really use that phrase). I can see the power continuing boom, while the batting title type makeup continues. I am surely on board with the idea that if Soto is healthy all season, he will not only at least elevate to at least AA this season, but he will be the #1 bat heading into 2019. 

Edited by exzacly909
  • Like 2

1-for-2 with a triple and 3 walks tonight.

30 career games at A ball so far (128 plate appearances):

.369/.445/.622. 16 walks, 13 strikeouts.

It's not going to be long before he gets the call to A+ and I could see him in AA before the end of the year. He's 19.

This time next year people are going to be talking about him as the best hitting prospect in the minors not named Vlad Jr.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright

10 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

hopefully vlad wont be in the minors by then

My ETA for a Vlad Jr. call up is exactly a year from now (i.e. 1 year behind Acuna). Vlad still turned 19 less than a month ago, and they still have Josh Donaldson playing thirdbase, so barring a Donaldson injury or trade, I expect Vlad Jr. to remain in the minors. But yeah... it's certainly possible that he gets called up earlier. He's one of the best hitting prospects we've ever seen in baseball.

But yeah, Juan Soto...

Went 1-for-3 with a double, 3 walks and 1 strikeout last night.

Through 31 games in A ball now (134 plate appearances):

.368/.455/.623 with 19 walks and 14 strikeouts

That strikeout to walk ratio at 19 years old is special.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 1:12 AM, RotoBird said:

That injury was a blessing in disguise. Allowed the shrewd managers to scoop him up at a reasonable cost - the ones who value raw talent first and foremost, and are less swayed by recent performance. 

He was a high draft pick in a lot of leagues in 2017; the reports then on his hit tool and power were already outstanding.

That said, injuries in the minors can be a wake-up call to guys to take care of their bodies better. Just about everybody's going to end up on the DL at some point, so it's just something you deal with and hope something good comes out of it; Soto seems to have learned the lesson.

https://www.milb.com/sally/news/toolshed-health-a-priority-for-washington-nationals-juan-soto-carter-kieboom/c-268838230

Edited by Hanghow

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

He was a high draft pick in a lot of leagues in 2017; the reports then on his hit tool and power were already outstanding.

That said, injuries in the minors can be a wake-up call to guys to take care of their bodies better. Just about everybody's going to end up on the DL at some point, so it's just something you deal with and hope something good comes out of it; Soto seems to have learned the lesson.

https://www.milb.com/sally/news/toolshed-health-a-priority-for-washington-nationals-juan-soto-carter-kieboom/c-268838230

just checked my draft recap. wasn't as late a pick as I thought. went right after Mateo and Luis Urias and a few picks before Alex Verdugo. 

Listening to a podcast with Chris Blessing of baseball HQ on it talk about Soto.

This is a brief synopsis of what was said... top 5 prospect by midseason, potential #1 prospect in the next year or two. Had him in the same tier with Bichette, Tucker, Gleyber, Tatis etc.

Blessing had him at + raw power, but after seeing him in person/batting practice has him at ++ raw power. So essentially went from 60 to 70 raw power. Also noted he has put on more mass/muscle.

We are looking at something close to a slightly lesser Vlad Jr. In the outfield IMO. 

• Like 5