NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto-OF Nationals

accudart

13 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Listening to a podcast with Chris Blessing of baseball HQ on it talk about Soto.

This is a brief synopsis of what was said... top 5 prospect by midseason, potential #1 prospect in the next year or two. Had him in the same tier with Bichette, Tucker, Gleyber, Tatis etc.

Blessing had him at + raw power, but after seeing him in person/batting practice has him at ++ raw power. So essentially went from 60 to 70 raw power. Also noted he has put on more mass/muscle.

We are looking at something close to a slightly lesser Vlad Jr. In the outfield IMO. 

holy smokes man! now I get how the whole "helium" thing works. own Soto in dynasty and could not be more pumped right now. watching him, my favorite comp is Devers. I do with his swing had a teeeeny bit more uppercut... but at this point, no point changing anything. He's killing it. 

Went 4-for-5 with 2 doubles, 2 walks, and no strikeouts in a doubleheader today

Through 12 games in 2018:

.415/.538/.902, 12 walks, 7 strikeouts

Through 35 games in A ball dating back to last year:

.378 /.467/.646, 22 walks, 15 strikeouts

It may just be A ball, but it's incredibly rare to see a 19-year-old putting up numbers like this at any level, even with the relatively small sample size.

We may be looking at someone who is going to be the top prospect in baseball before long (along with Vlad Jr.).

• Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 6:51 PM, hard1 said:

Next year's acuna matada...

Needed to bring this back because I think it’s going to be the truth. Soto doesn’t run like Ronald so the hype won’t be as crazy, but Juan’s bat is all kinds of special. Checking this guys game on as much as I can right now. Reminds me of Votto. 

I think he is pushing his way to AA early this summer and will be talked about coming up after the first month next MLB season. I know it might take a decent amount, but I would honestly be checking how much it would take to acquire this guy, if I didn’t already have him in every league. He should be held in high regards right now by any competent owner. I still think most are underrating it because he hasn’t dont it enough or at a hit level yet, but it is coming. 

If guy stays healthy, he is going to be a fantasy monster.

Edited by exzacly909

Juan Soto in A ball this year (16 games):

.373/.486/.814. 14 BB, 13 K

Juan Soto in A+ so far this year (8 games):

.344/.475/.656. 8 BB, 2 K

Juan Soto combined minor league numbers this year (24 games)

.363/.482/.758. 22 B, 15 K.

You just don't see numbers like these at age 19.

I think he's the 2nd best hitting prospect in the minors right now, behind only Vlad Jr.

• Like 3

i know it's blasphemous to say... but if soto hadn't missed time with injuries, could he arguably be as highly projected as vlad jr?

soto definitely needs a larger body of work (i.e., to stay healthy), but assuming he continues his amazing production, what separates the two? what makes jr heads and shoulders above soto.. power projection? hit tool?

Edited by osb_tensor

45 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

i know it's blasphemous to say... but if soto hadn't missed time with injuries, could he arguably be as highly projected as vlad jr?

soto definitely needs a larger body of work (i.e., to stay healthy), but assuming he continues his amazing production, what separates the two? what makes jr heads and shoulders above soto.. power projection? hit tool?

He’s putting up similar stats in AA at the same age vs A+ for Soto. I also believe it’s the hit tool/game power/raw power. You don’t see grades like the multiple 70’s Vlad Jr gets come along very often. I don’t see Soto ever being ranked higher, as Vlad’s raw talent is just astronomical.