Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto-OF Nationals


accudart
 Share

Recommended Posts

Exactly. Before last years injuries Soto was already getting a lot high praise and rankings. If the injuries didn’t occur I’d bet he would have been a top 10 prospect easy. He was already top going into the season on most lists around 50 if I recall correctly. He’s done nothing wrong but get hurt one year. 

 

And while we can all learn by Heyward that anyone can flame out, that’s not a great comp as explained above. That’s just exercising caution but there is nothing that suggests this isn’t real except maybe babip. But when you are hitting .350 plus your babip is gonna be high and we all already know milb babip is generally unreliable. 

Edited by tucker26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

 

Soto has 9 home runs through 25 games.. Which would put him on pace for 45HRs if we are comparing apples to apples right now (and no I'm not naive enough to think he gets there). Soto also has an elite plate approach that is probably top 2-3 in the minors.. This makes his hit/power tools even more appealing. This is also a guy that's a career .365 hitter in the minors, maybe there are some similarities but man.. I see quite a few differences and very few similarities between those two. 

 

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Soto.  But 9 HR in 25 games puts him on a pace for 45 HRs?  Neither of us are buying that.  We'll see where his full season compares to Heyward's line, right now Soto is playing out of his mind.  I think his power numbers will definitely eclipse Heyward's output and MLB profile.

 

All I'm pointing out is that the hype train is out of control.  I love his line, just like you guys.  I'm just not buying the "elite" tags based on A / A+ lines 25 games in.  

 

I hope the guy works out, especially since Harper probably walks.  A young team of Rendon/Turner/Robles/Soto would be a lot of fun to watch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hypeiz4real said:

 

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Soto.  But 9 HR in 25 games puts him on a pace for 45 HRs?  Neither of us are buying that.  We'll see where his full season compares to Heyward's line, right now Soto is playing out of his mind.  I think his power numbers will definitely eclipse Heyward's output and MLB profile.

 

All I'm pointing out is that the hype train is out of control.  I love his line, just like you guys.  I'm just not buying the "elite" tags based on A / A+ lines 25 games in.  

 

I hope the guy works out, especially since Harper probably walks.  A young team of Rendon/Turner/Robles/Soto would be a lot of fun to watch. 

 

Well... it actually really does.. it's reasonable to expect he plays 125-130 games.. so that would put him in 45-50hr range (10HR in 26 games.. multiply that by 5 = 45-50Hrs).. on current pace. Meaning if he does what he's doing now for the whole season that's what he'd end up with.. Will he end up with that? No, course of not but you were quoting stats for Heyward after 127 games.. comparing to Soto's 25 games. How is that even a fair comparison? Soto now has 10 HRs in 26 games compared to Heyward's 11 in 127.. see the silliness in that comparison? 

 

Soto is as elite as elite gets as far as hitting goes.. The scouting reports, stats, etc have backed it all up. What qualifies a hitter as an elite hitter to you? This guy has hit .365 over 400 ABs in the minors and is 19 years old.. so it's not like he's came out of nowhere and just now started hitting.. The writing is on the wall here, if he stays healthy he's a top 10 prospect. 

 

Agree that the outlook of this Nationals team is bright with the young talent they've got. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

 

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Soto.  But 9 HR in 25 games puts him on a pace for 45 HRs?  Neither of us are buying that.  We'll see where his full season compares to Heyward's line, right now Soto is playing out of his mind.  I think his power numbers will definitely eclipse Heyward's output and MLB profile.

 

All I'm pointing out is that the hype train is out of control.  I love his line, just like you guys.  I'm just not buying the "elite" tags based on A / A+ lines 25 games in.  

 

I hope the guy works out, especially since Harper probably walks.  A young team of Rendon/Turner/Robles/Soto would be a lot of fun to watch. 

 

This isn't based on 25 games. The guy was well on his way to cementing himself as a top 10 prospect but injuries ruined his season last year. What he's doing this season is just confirming what scouts said about him coming into the year. The hit tool he's showing is absolutely elite. He's hit over .320 at every level while displaying excellent K/BB rates for somebody his age....hell, any age really

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

 

Well... it actually really does.. it's reasonable to expect he plays 125-130 games.. so that would put him in 45-50hr range (10HR in 26 games.. multiply that by 5 = 45-50Hrs).. on current pace. Meaning if he does what he's doing now for the whole season that's what he'd end up with.. Will he end up with that? No, course of not but you were quoting stats for Heyward after 127 games.. comparing to Soto's 25 games. How is that even a fair comparison? Soto now has 10 HRs in 26 games compared to Heyward's 11 in 127.. see the silliness in that comparison? 

 

Soto is as elite as elite gets as far as hitting goes.. The scouting reports, stats, etc have backed it all up. What qualifies a hitter as an elite hitter to you? This guy has hit .365 over 400 ABs in the minors and is 19 years old.. so it's not like he's came out of nowhere and just now started hitting.. The writing is on the wall here, if he stays healthy he's a top 10 prospect. 

 

Agree that the outlook of this Nationals team is bright with the young talent they've got. 

 

I can do the math, I was speaking to the reality of his ability to maintain the HR pace for a full season.  

 

Only elite hitter I'd classify in the minors right now is Vlad, he's in a tier of his own.  Soto is definitely in that next tier, I'm in on him as a top 15 prospect at this point.  If he continues to rake he'll be top 5. 

 

16 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

 

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Soto.  But 9 HR in 25 games puts him on a pace for 45 HRs?  Neither of us are buying that.  We'll see where his full season compares to Heyward's line, right now Soto is playing out of his mind.  I think his power numbers will definitely eclipse Heyward's output and MLB profile.

 

All I'm pointing out is that the hype train is out of control.  I love his line, just like you guys.  I'm just not buying the "elite" tags based on A / A+ lines 25 games in.  

 

I hope the guy works out, especially since Harper probably walks.  A young team of Rendon/Turner/Robles/Soto would be a lot of fun to watch. 

 

His power definitely grades higher which I also acknowledged.  The comp to Heyward was the meteoric rise from top 40 prospect in 08 to top 10 in 09 only for him to never really reach the ceiling folks were gushing over.  If you remember, Heyward was projected as a 25-30 HR guy and was always known for "elite plate discipline" just like our boy Soto here.

 

I was all-in on Heyward for all the same reasons y'all are all in on Soto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

Exactly. Before last years injuries Soto was already getting a lot high praise and rankings. If the injuries didn’t occur I’d bet he would have been a top 10 prospect easy. He was already top going into the season on most lists around 50 if I recall correctly. He’s done nothing wrong but get hurt one year. 

 

And while we can all learn by Heyward that anyone can flame out, that’s not a great comp as explained above. That’s just exercising caution but there is nothing that suggests this isn’t real except maybe babip. But when you are hitting .350 plus your babip is gonna be high and we all already know milb babip is generally unreliable. 

 

Heyward’s much more of a cautionary tale on what can happen with hitting mechanics and the mental part of the game. He put up elite stats for his age in the minors and had some really good years in the majors before “flaming out”. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal to compare him to Heyward, it’s just isn’t something that would even remotely worry me. You always grab the guy who’s basically showing mini-Harper levels of performance. I mean, why wouldn’t you? 

 

32 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

 

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Soto.  But 9 HR in 25 games puts him on a pace for 45 HRs?  Neither of us are buying that.  We'll see where his full season compares to Heyward's line, right now Soto is playing out of his mind.  I think his power numbers will definitely eclipse Heyward's output and MLB profile.

 

All I'm pointing out is that the hype train is out of control.  I love his line, just like you guys.  I'm just not buying the "elite" tags based on A / A+ lines 25 games in.  

 

I hope the guy works out, especially since Harper probably walks.  A young team of Rendon/Turner/Robles/Soto would be a lot of fun to watch. 

 

He even said “it isn’t like he gets there”. I actually don’t think there’s been enough hype on Soto. He’s playing out of his mind right now, and it’s not fueled by any crazy stats (save ISO maybe?). His babip is actually not that high for a guy hitting .370 ... mostly because he keeps hitting jacks ever 9 at bats. 

 

Edit: just had to point out the irony of “Hypeiz4real” saying to slow down on the hype train. Lol

Edited by mcbane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

The comp to Heyward was the meteoric rise from top 40 prospect in 08 to top 10 in 09 only for him to never really reach the ceiling folks were gushing over. 

That’s cool if that’s the comp you are trying to make. But don’t throw out slash lines,hr #s and walk rates to try and compare the two players as the same.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Heyward comparisons just are kind of silly. Heyward is an absolute anomaly as it’s very very rare for players with his teenage profile to grind to a halt like that.  

 

Now Soto hasn’t accomplished as much as Heyward did. Through age 20 he was extremely impressive at every level. He is a mysterious case, and if you took a random prospect with his stats through age 20, it’s far more likely they become a superstar than a .220 groundball hitter. 

Edited by merlin401
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hypeiz4real said:

 

I can do the math, I was speaking to the reality of his ability to maintain the HR pace for a full season.  

 

Only elite hitter I'd classify in the minors right now is Vlad, he's in a tier of his own.  Soto is definitely in that next tier, I'm in on him as a top 15 prospect at this point.  If he continues to rake he'll be top 5. 

 

 

His power definitely grades higher which I also acknowledged.  The comp to Heyward was the meteoric rise from top 40 prospect in 08 to top 10 in 09 only for him to never really reach the ceiling folks were gushing over.  If you remember, Heyward was projected as a 25-30 HR guy and was always known for "elite plate discipline" just like our boy Soto here.

 

I was all-in on Heyward for all the same reasons y'all are all in on Soto.

giphy.gif

Haters gonna hate...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have just kept scrolling down, hopefully to come to a point where this ridiculous Heyward talk was over. I haven’t seen a more silly comparison, the guys are almost nothing a like. Yes, they are both going to rise up the ranks quickly. Sweet.

 

I come here for the real analysis and estacic owners. The ones that are realizing we have a superstar on our hands. Already untouchable on my squad right now. I’ve looked at all the numbers so far, watched a ton of him live, and read all I have need to this point.

 

 

FANTASY MONSTER COMING - 2nd month of the season 2019. 

Edited by LarryDavid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robles, Soto, Taylor, Eaton, makes for a pretty good OF going forward, potentially. I doubt the Nats pay Harper what he’s anticipating getting this off-season. 

 

They always have Matt Adams as a fallback option in LF too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Watermock said:

Does he get called up this year, or is that pretty much out of the question? 

 

I am hoping he gets up to Double A this year.   That's a big jump though but if he continues his hitting assault on pitching there it will really speed up his timetable imo.  However, Robles is next and unless injured he wont be leapfrogging him.

I think this time next year will be the best case scenario.   If you go back a few pages you'll note those much more knowledgeable than I seem to think there's little chance of it as well... 

Edited by knuckleheads
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed. Even with an Acuña like rise thru the minors this year, the earliest we see him is late April 2019.

 

The Nats outfield is pretty full with a healthy Eaton and the extra year of control saves the team millions.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...