NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto-OF Nationals

accudart

12 minutes ago, treat88 said:

Agreed. Even with an Acuña like rise thru the minors this year, the earliest we see him is late April 2019.

The Nats outfield is pretty full with a healthy Eaton and the extra year of control saves the team millions.

A healthy eaton? Is that a thing?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, treat88 said:

Agreed. Even with an Acuña like rise thru the minors this year, the earliest we see him is late April 2019.

The Nats outfield is pretty full with a healthy Eaton and the extra year of control saves the team millions.

It is full until you remove Harper from the equation.  Why would the Nats pay Harper when they have Soto and Robles coming in to take over?  Eaton, Soto, Robles 2019

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

It is full until you remove Harper from the equation.  Why would the Nats pay Harper when they have Soto and Robles coming in to take over?  Eaton, Soto, Robles 2019

No matter how good Robles, Soto etc will be the Nats should try to keep Harper.  Having said that I don't see it happening...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

No matter how good Robles, Soto etc will be the Nats should try to keep Harper.  Having said that I don't see it happening...

They can't afford a 300 million dollar contract

12 hours ago, Coach George said:

I think Vlad, Robles and Eloy would probably be ranked ahead of Soto at this point, but that’s about the only guys that I can say are ahead of him. 

So if I’m making an updated prospect list then Soto is #4 for me.

When Robles was a 19 year old splitting the year between A and A+ he hit nine home runs that year. Soto has 10 at the same age and level on May 5th

when Eloy Jimenez was 19 he spent all year at A-ball and had 14 homers and 29 walks all year. May 5th and Soto has 10 and 22 respectively 

your other two are now more advanced, sure, being older but man: Soto has so much more superstar potential than they do (albeit a lower floor due to youth)

• Like 2

@JenksDodger Right, that's why I've made the distinction between saying Soto is the "2nd best hitter in the minors" and "the 2nd best prospect in baseball."

There's a considerable difference between a prospect's value in real life and in fantasy baseball, and it usually relates to defense.

Robles is such a good prospect in large part because his glove is essentially guaranteed to be elite, which makes his floor as a real-life player extremely high. That's the same reason Buxton was top 1 or 2 prospect for so long. The ceiling is there, but even if the ceiling isn't reached, you know you're still just about certain to get a real good life player.

But I'm taking Soto as a fantasy prospect because his ceiling is just so high - as we've been saying, it's higher than anyone else in the minors except for Vlad's right now. And with the kind of strikezone command he's showing at such a youing age (10 walks, 3 strikeouts in A+), the floor as a hitter is decently high as well.

Right now Soto projects as the rare player who could potentially deliver on a very high batting average with very good power combination, with elite run production and OPS. As fantasy players, his average defensive skills mean little to us.

13 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

@JenksDodger Right, that's why I've made the distinction between saying Soto is the "2nd best hitter in the minors" and "the 2nd best prospect in baseball."

There's a considerable difference between a prospect's value in real life and in fantasy baseball, and it usually relates to defense.

Robles is such a good prospect in large part because his glove is essentially guaranteed to be elite, which makes his floor as a real-life player extremely high. That's the same reason Buxton was top 1 or 2 prospect for so long. The ceiling is there, but even if the ceiling isn't reached, you know you're still just about certain to get a real good life player.

But I'm taking Soto as a fantasy prospect because his ceiling is just so high - as we've been saying, it's higher than anyone else in the minors except for Vlad's right now. And with the kind of strikezone command he's showing at such a youing age (10 walks, 3 strikeouts in A+), the floor as a hitter is decently high as well.

Right now Soto projects as the rare player who could potentially deliver on a very high batting average with very good power combination, with elite run production and OPS. As fantasy players, his average defensive skills mean little to us.

I don't have a problem if someone wants to rate Soto over Robles. I will say this though, if you think Robles is overrated for fantasy because his ranking counts in elite defense, you should also overrate him if your league is standard and counts 1/5 of a hitters value from steals. If Robles is just a 15-20 HR hitter with a good average and 20-30 steals... Soto has to be quite a bit better of a hitter to cancel out the steals. It's kind of the same argument with Acuna vs Vlad. 

I think ranking Soto anywhere 4-20 right now is fine. Some people need more time before an aggressive move up their rankings. I assume he'll be consensus top 10 by end of season, possibly top 5.

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't have a problem if someone wants to rate Soto over Robles. I will say this though, if you think Robles is overrated for fantasy because his ranking counts in elite defense, you should also overrate him if your league is standard and counts 1/5 of a hitters value from steals. If Robles is just a 15-20 HR hitter with a good average and 20-30 steals... Soto has to be quite a bit better of a hitter to cancel out the steals. It's kind of the same argument with Acuna vs Vlad. 

I think ranking Soto anywhere 4-20 right now is fine. Some people need more time before an aggressive move up their rankings. I assume he'll be consensus top 10 by end of season, possibly top 5.

All fair. I'm not at all denying Roble's elite fantasy potential. I'll admit I'm at least partially influenced by the fact that all of my fantasy leagues include things like OPS in addition to the standard 5 categories, which would give Soto's skillset additional value.

I just don't think you can discount what Soto's doing right now - it's special. 

Someone is going to have to point out to me the last time a 19-year-old was putting up numbers anywhere close to this good in A+, especially with such an elite strikeout-to-walk rate.

The closest example that comes to mind of such elite production in A+ at age 19 and then the player didn't turn out to be incredible is Wil Myers, who hit .346/.453/.512 with 37 walks and 39 strikeouts in 58 games at that age and level. 

But even Wil Myers ended up turning into an all-star with some excellent production despite playing half his games in Petco. And right now Soto is on pace to shatter what Wil Myers did at the same level.

I just haven't really seen what Juan Soto is doing right now. If someone finds me some good comparisons, then maybe I'll come down on him some, but not until then.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

I just haven't really seen what Juan Soto is doing right now. If someone finds me some good comparisons, then maybe I'll come down on him some, but not until then.

With all due respect , nobody is really banging the drums saying Soto is bad. He’s the hottest player this year and is going to sky rocket on everyone’s ranking. 

The Nationals should just move him up to AA already. 

He's only been at Potomac for a couple of weeks but he's obviously not being challenged. Not sure what he has to gain by staying in A+.

He's hitting .383/.491/.872 with 10 walks and 3 strikeouts through 12 games in A+ so far.

Utter dominance.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Just move him up to the majors now.  Might as well since offense is still so poor around the league at the moment...

He may have gone 3/4, but he did strikeout once. Somethings wrong. He is just not ready yet. 

/sarcasm/

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 7:16 PM, einstein2u said:

fellas i am in a keeper league, with betts harper and acuna, but geez i want to jump on this train.  just no where to put him....

Don't let that deter you. Having that great of an OF just allows you to dump the bench fodder to stash. I added Soto early this season. Stash now fix/balance later. Soto's hype will fetch you what you need when the time comes. And if he doesn't Acuna, Harper, or Betts will and you can slide Soto in and not miss a beat.

Edited by Dark Kn19ht

I‘m in a 10 keeper H2H roto...already have Goldschmidt, Altuve, Devers, Correa, Bellinger, Betts, Trea Turner, Acuna, Robles, Eloy, Vlad, Kyle Tucker....After reading this thread i couldn‘t resist to add Soto :-)