NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathan Villar 2017 Outlook

42 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

I know that haha, Im saying I hope Anderson is the one to get him going and I wont have to worry about him anymore. 

Its okay, I completely agree with you on this and not sure why everyone is getting so butt hurt.

Nelson Cruz was slumping so I picked up Hangier right before he started going off. Looks like I did well there. I totally agree though, in H2H points weeks this is very crucial because if you are getting say 20 points out of a position player as opposed to 3, it very may well win you the week. Roto is a little more daring and obviously a very infrequent strategy I can imagine. 

So far, Villar has been very disappointing in what was supposed to be a focal point in my lineup at SS. So yes, streaming someone at that position so far has yielded better results than his 0 point weeks or 3 point weeks we really have gotten aside from his home runs here and there. 

Being able to stream pitchers and hitters properly is what is going to win you the championship and it is what has won me a championship once a year the past four years. 

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've been pro-Villar in here, but Anderson might not be the slump buster you're looking for, at least looking for a HR. His HR/9 numbers are quite good (.9 career if I recall correctly)

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

I know I've been pro-Villar in here, but Anderson might not be the slump buster you're looking for, at least looking for a HR. His HR/9 numbers are quite good (.9 career if I recall correctly)

I just want Villar to hit lol.  I need him to steal bases much more than I need him to hit hr's.  My team is loaded with power bats so I need Villar to anchor the speed. 

21 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

I just want Villar to hit lol.  I need him to steal bases much more than I need him to hit hr's.  My team is loaded with power bats so I need Villar to anchor the speed. 

Agreed, just got on base and swipe one and I'll be happy!

Villar sucks so bad right now...I'd be worried about my career if I was him. I know its early but wow..I'd really be evaluating trying some performance enhancers by now, he's already fat no one will suspect anything.

13 minutes ago, DWright5 said:

Really?  It's been TWO weeks.  A year ago right now, he wasn't doing anything.  Chill out guys and give him time.

message board people always panic in april

1 hour ago, DWright5 said:

Really?  It's been TWO weeks.  A year ago right now, he wasn't doing anything.  Chill out guys and give him time.

Yeah the right frame of mind to have in this case is this: if he sucked like this for 2 weeks in July, would you freak out?

13 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah the right frame of mind to have in this case is this: if he sucked like this for 2 weeks in July, would you freak out?

people would still freak out, lol

Last year he went undrafted, I picked him up, he wasn't hitting, he was walking, good OBP, but I dropped him because he wasn't hitting enough at the time, he alone could have won me SBs a few times to drastically improve my team record, and of course he started hitting...if you have him, keep him; he may just be slow starter.  Maybe sit him in April and let him loose in May.

4 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Uh, well, considering its almost been three weeks now, yeah, i would freak out. if we sucked from july 1st to april 21st, three weeks in the middle of the season, i would be even more worried than I am now most likely.

He isnt not as bad as he looks at the plate. Not sure if you have even watched him hit yet, but he looks absolutely fooled on the everything and cant catch up to a single fastball. Everything is being blown by him.

Regardless, I have faith he will right the ship in this stacked lineup but don't pretend this isnt concerning.

7 hours ago, DWright5 said:

He went undrafted last year, and people took him too early this year lolrus.  That's why people are freaking out.

Isn't he on pace for 21-22 HRs with 28-30 SBs right now?  Still getting your category juice

However brace for low BA maybe?

Villar's last 300 PAs:

.229 BA  

.299 OBP    

9% BB  

29% K

14 HRs

24  SBs

His august split BA is carried up by the first week he went 10/20 with 5 BBs/2Ks... He's been legit cold in the BA and meh OBP for over 2 baseball months and 300 PAs now..

Though he's hit more HRs in his last 300 PAs than he did in his first 460.. Not sure if its a shift that he's trying to hit for more power or just noise.. That is a 30 HR pace.. More 20+ if September was a power anomaly

Edited by Slatykamora
2 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Though he's hit more HRs in his last 300 PAs than he did in his first 460.. Not sure if its a shift that he's trying to hit for more power or just noise

i kind of suspect that he is, and that he should stop

thing about villar, he doesn't... like, i said on the thames thread that thames strikes me as a really smart guy and i think that's part of how he was able to improve a lot... but on the other hand, villar... i'm not saying he seems _dumb_, but, he makes a lot of mistakes. baserunning, fielding, etc. mental mistakes. doesn't really seem to have the best judgment. i can totally imagine him getting it into his head to try and hit for power and getting all out of whack even after he was having an insanely successful run doing things the old way

but the bright side of that is that it would mean he does still have all of the ability he showed last year, he's just choosing not to use it properly right now, and somebody just needs to smack him and make him knock it off

1 hour ago, wily mo said:

i kind of suspect that he is, and that he should stop

thing about villar, he doesn't... like, i said on the thames thread that thames strikes me as a really smart guy and i think that's part of how he was able to improve a lot... but on the other hand, villar... i'm not saying he seems _dumb_, but, he makes a lot of mistakes. baserunning, fielding, etc. mental mistakes. doesn't really seem to have the best judgment. i can totally imagine him getting it into his head to try and hit for power and getting all out of whack even after he was having an insanely successful run doing things the old way

but the bright side of that is that it would mean he does still have all of the ability he showed last year, he's just choosing not to use it properly right now, and somebody just needs to smack him and make him knock it off

I'll say it for ya Wily Mo ... he ain't the brightest bulb!

Agreed with wily mo - dude is athletic but seems to lack the mind to take it to the next level. Dude's made some straight up boneheaded plays and in addition to those things affecting his mental state, it's possible that his coaches might also try to work with him on straightening out the issues (resulting in added "noise"). 

For the record, he has tremendous value for his position eligibility and dual-threat of power/speed. I just trade him away in a keeper league for Yelich, but only because I needed an OF and had the IF positions locked up. I probably wouldn't have traded him away otherwise, but now is still early enough that you can cash in on something nice.

Edit: he also seems locked into 2b this year so for those of you in keepers, something to consider for next year.

Edited by Jyeatbvg

feels like he's finally calming down - last 4 games, 19 PA, only 2 Ks vs 3 walks

also visually, the constant flailing has been replaced by something at least vaguely resembling sensible plate appearances

not huge results with the bat yet, only 4 singles, but right now i'll take any signs of progress

2 for 3 early on in today's game (first hit was a bunt), but just now struck out badly with the bases loaded against LHP cody reed, from the right side

during the AB the announcers pointed out (which i hadn't noticed) that villar is actually hitless for the entire season from the right side

that's the thing about switch-hitters, they have two swings to maintain

with fewer reps it may take him a little longer to get going from that side

right side was also his better power side last year, so it might be more affected if our "swinging for the fences" theory has anything to it

but overall, i am not worried at all. he'll get there