NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathan Villar 2017 Outlook

4 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Why is this guy back at leadoff? He seems to be more comfortable in a less-relevant position in the order. 

Leadoff seems to be Villar's kryptonite - not sure he can handle the pressure

.288/.369/.836 in 565 PAs out of the leadoff spot last season. Pretty certain it has nothing to do with handling the pressure. 

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Ahh...so last season he was great in the leadoff spot, but this season he can't handle the pressure. That makes a ton of sense! 

giphy.gif

It's a bit different to basically come out of nowhere and have a career season in 2016 vs being at least as good in 2017. He is not even ownable in reality if we took the way-back-machine to pre-2016. He was unknown then and will be once again if the present trend continues. It's not early anymore.

I swear most of the people complaining in here are just mad cause they bench him when he hits a HR and has a SB or has a 3 SB game like he's done twice this year. Then they lose it when they put him back in their active lineup and get an 0 / 4 3 K's. I bet half the complainers have missed 6-7 of his SB's and 2-3 of his HR's. lol

5 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

It's a bit different to basically come out of nowhere and have a career season in 2016 vs being at least as good in 2017. He is not even ownable in reality if we took the way-back-machine to pre-2016. He was unknown then and will be once again if the present trend continues. It's not early anymore.

Holy goodness. Where do I start? 

pre-2016 he was 22-24 years old and had one season's worth of PAs where he compiled 10 HR/42 SB. 

This season he is the 4th rated SS & 6th rated 2B in 5 x 5 (ESPN Player Rater). 

The venting is cute, but you're literally wrong on all accounts. 

1 minute ago, Mexi1024 said:

I swear most of the people complaining in here are just mad cause they bench him when he hits a HR and has a SB or has a 3 SB game like he's done twice this year. Then they lose it when they put him back in their active lineup and get an 0 / 4 3 K's. I bet half the complainers have missed 6-7 of his SB's and 2-3 of his HR's. lol

G    AB        R      H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB    K    SB    CS    AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS

46    180    23    40    7    0    5    24    18    58    12     3      .222  .293      .344       .637

Numbers.

Say Villar can't fully get it together like last year's line and ends on his current pace coupled with some mini streaks and ends with a .255 80/65 18/43.  I'd buy that for a dollar (Robocop).  Off topic, Robocop did a great job foreshadowing what Detroit would look like today.

If you own him then you likely either A.) Paid top dollar in a trade to get him, or B.) Used a high 2nd or 3rd round pick to get him. 

I drafted this guy to be my everyday second baseman who also has 3B and SS eligibility. Sure the average sucks and he's already struck out a ton, but he has shown signs of getting back on track recently. His average and BB% has gone up and he has reduced his K% in the month of May. The power/speed combo this guy possesses is definitely legit. Also he just turned 26 and this is just his 2nd season as a full time starter. Owners should have expected ups and downs when they got him.

Even if he is struggling you gotta play your studs otherwise you will just come to these threads and cry about how he sucks because he produced while on your bench. If you still don't feel comfortable running him out there everyday just yet, then play him when he is at home for now. He has a .357 AVG at home (.178 Away) in May so far and .280 (.150 Away) for the year.

2 hours ago, Osu1456 said:

If you own him then you likely either A.) Paid top dollar in a trade to get him, or B.) Used a high 2nd or 3rd round pick to get him. 

I drafted this guy to be my everyday second baseman who also has 3B and SS eligibility. Sure the average sucks and he's already struck out a ton, but he has shown signs of getting back on track recently. His average and BB% has gone up and he has reduced his K% in the month of May. The power/speed combo this guy possesses is definitely legit. Also he just turned 26 and this is just his 2nd season as a full time starter. Owners should have expected ups and downs when they got him.

Even if he is struggling you gotta play your studs otherwise you will just come to these threads and cry about how he sucks because he produced while on your bench. If you still don't feel comfortable running him out there everyday just yet, then play him when he is at home for now. He has a .357 AVG at home (.178 Away) in May so far and .280 (.150 Away) for the year.

Would be devastated if I paid top dollar or a 2nd/3rd round pick and received 18hr/43sb with a mediocre average. Let's be honest, this guy has sucked and will likely not reach his preseason value this year.

1 hour ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Would be devastated if I paid top dollar or a 2nd/3rd round pick and received 18hr/43sb with a mediocre average. Let's be honest, this guy has sucked and will likely not reach his preseason value this year.

You do realize most preseason projections had him around 15hr/45sb with a .250 avg...

The home runs and steals are definitely still in play and so is the average. So if he meets those preseason projections with a .240-.250 average you are saying you will still be devastated? Wow...

He's on Yahoo's MVP board, which tends to reflect value vs. draft price paid. I'm, personally, in a bit of an odd dynasty league, but I'm leading while playing him almost every day. If you think Villar's production is dragging your team down, I have to question your expectations.

42 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

He's on Yahoo's MVP board, which tends to reflect value vs. draft price paid. I'm, personally, in a bit of an odd dynasty league, but I'm leading while playing him almost every day. If you think Villar's production is dragging your team down, I have to question your expectations.

Welcome to the land of the Rotoworld forums...where everybody gets stirred into a frenzy over their guys and the hype train plows through realistic expectations like Nuke Laloosh through Annie Savoy. 

LOL this is laughable.  He's eligible at all of the most important positions, on pace for 20/40, and in a prime spot in a very potent lineup.  Where you drafted him is irrelevant at this point and if he IS killing you that bad, it means you made other draft day mistakes.  Move along, complainers.  The Vent & Rant thread is that way --------------------------------------->

12 hours ago, Mexi1024 said:

Its funny you mention that. I bench him a good bit, have missed a couple HR's, but I have been lucky enough to have him in the lineup for all 12 SB's lol. 

52 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

LOL this is laughable.  He's eligible at all of the most important positions, on pace for 20/40, and in a prime spot in a very potent lineup.  Where you drafted him is irrelevant at this point and if he IS killing you that bad, it means you made other draft day mistakes.  Move along, complainers.  The Vent & Rant thread is that way --------------------------------------->

In H2H leagues, the dude is so valuable. Single handedly won me SB's a few times and doesn't kill you in any counting stats. In a loaded lineup, he will be well on his way to 100 runs scored if he gets that BA up a bit.

42 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Damn really? Wheels are really falling off.

The appearance - not necessarily reality - is a no-tolerance approach. 

I'm fine with it, if it works - but at some point it's put-up-or-shut-up time.